Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird thing in tank

Options
  • 28-10-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just doing the daily check and I noticed this little fellow.

Any idea what it is??

Had a bit of a google and i saw a sea anemone as the closest thing to it

Many thanks for any insights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

aktelmiele wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just doing the daily check and I noticed this little fellow.

Any idea what it is??

Had a bit of a google and i saw a sea anemone as the closest thing to it

Many thanks for any insights

No idea, not into marine, but free stuff is never a bad thing!

Looks nice, post pics as it gets biger.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Wouldnt advertise the fact if i were you. LFS might charge you for it.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks like it *could* grow into an aiptasia anemone, which are generally considered tank 'vermin' due to their stinging tentacles, depending on what else you have in the tank.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=killing+aiptasia&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=l2h3UvDOGsK84ATJjICQBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=775#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=aiptasia&tbm=isch

unfortunately, depending on what you plan on putting in the tank, it might be poisonous enough to kill or at least badly hurt your fish (unless they're clowns).

you can buy kits to kill them off, but they basically consist of an acid and a hypodermic syringe that you use to inject into the mouth of them. i had some in my tank and used a 5ml syringe from my local chemist and fresh lemon juice and it worked perfectly.

i was a bit miffed at having to kill the first living thing to appear in my tank, but you can't win them all and there will be hundreds of other yokes (worms, snails, slugs etc.) in there that you'll never even see. :)

it's actually kind of cool as when you inject them they explode! :pac:

wait until you know for sure though before you go killing anything as i could be wrong. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Or you could try this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

now all we need is an ill tempered mutated sea bass to mount it on! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement