Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing cat food from royal canin

• 28-10-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

last couple of days flower has been mooching away from her food in dissatisfaction, coming towards the end of am 8kg bag of royal canin oral sensitive (she had a touch of gingivitis)
    There's a good 1.5 I left but it'll be going in the bin..disgusted!

I do my best to keep it taped up in between filling the air tight container but it doesn't always keep long enough.

Buying the 8kg bag is the only way I can afford to feed her this food as if I go down a size price per kilo goes up 2 euro but it's pointless if I'm dumping some each time.

Will it upset her tummy if I buy another type of royal canin (maxi zoo have 6 euro off other types in the 2kg bags)?
    Is there a big difference between them or is it more of a flavour thing?

Also can anyone recommend another high quality, but cheaper, food that I could alternate the royal canin with to keep her weight down? She tends to get a bit of a waddle with the oral sensitive as it's very rich. I'm thinking if I buy smaller bags of oral sensitive she'll still get the active ingredient for her teeth, just not as often, and then I'll save a bit and she won't put on as much weight if i alternate with a grain free cheaper food

Applaws sounds good, grain free etc...

Sorry for long post and thanks on advance for any advice offered!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Applaws, Orijen (Acana), Taste of the Wild, and Meowing Heads would all be top of the line. Bozita and Porta21 are also good but not top of the line but are also correspondingly cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Flavour probably isn't that important, humans have around 9,000 taste buds, cats have around 500, so its really not that important to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And yet our flamin' ferals turn their noses up at Maxi Zoo's budget dry food. Boogers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I feed our 4 Applaws chicken. They were on RC and Orijen at various times but they're all happy with this one. Plus since it's high protein and grainfree they need less of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's going to be as easy as I thought to change

Maxi zoo didn't have royal canin yesterday so I got science plan instead and she won't eat it...16.99 for 1.5kg too, it's for sale on adverts if anyone is interested

I threw the leftover royal canin from the bottom of the bag (least exposed to air) into the freezer to keep for emergencies and now she's gobbling that down instead. Maybe it's nicer cold or something

it will be interesting to see how Applaws goes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Make sure you mix the two kibbles over a week rather then changing from one meal to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

we were on royal canin too, but I fancied changing it. I ordered a bunch of 400 gram bags from zoo plus to test.
    results were suprising,
    cat flat out refused to eat iams or applaws. his 30g breakfast would still be in his bowl when I came home from work.

He loved james wellbeloved, near ripping my arm off each time I feed him with it. ended up throwing the remians of the iams and applaws into a big james wellbeloved bag and giving it a mix. I swear he still eats around the iams kibble.

didnt mind aldi own brand, and refused tesco own brand. But ill be avoiding them anyway.

have an order coming of some other smaller samples so ill see what he likes and get the cheapest one of the better quality foods. Some can be had for €3 /kg in a 10kg bag and dont worry about it going stale, it will keep for ages in a decent container.

Can you do something similar OP, just buy smaller bags of different types of food for a few weeks before getting a bulk load in?

Advertisement