Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC French: reading comprehensions

• 28-10-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

any good honours french students out there...can you please tell me how should I study for reading comprehensions Qs for LC 2014? sure I can learn and learn all the vocab from previous years but every single year it's a completely different topic so what shall I do? :confused: & please tell me any other way besides practicing exam questions. Would reading a french book help?
    Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

There's no real mystery to learning vocabulary, I think. I write down any useful new words I come across. It may only be 10-20 words a week but over time, you'll suddenly be breezing through comprehensions.

Reading a book will only be useful if you treat it like a reading comprehension, and look up and learn words you don't know. If you only read the words you already know and skip the parts you don't understand, you'll never actually learn anything new.

It's all about the vocabulary. You can do anything you want to broaden your vocabulary. You can read a book, read a newspaper.. anything that has you learning new French words.
    Now how to spot your tenses also as that usually plays a part in one of the questions.
    Practice the Q6 and adopt a general answer of point --> quote --> explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There are books which have English on one side and the French on the other side. Penguin have some, and I bought them, but the vocabulary in them would probably be a bit too high for LC level (I know I read some verb which, on the English side, said "killed instantly", quite obscure!).

Or you could try looking for books you've already read but in French. That way you'll know what's going on anyway and can deduce the words.

Advertisement