Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park Canal-dodgy characters

• 28-10-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm sure alot of Limerick boardsies enjoy the amenity that is the park canal.The reason I am posting this is that I have noticed these guys a couple of times over the holiday weekend and I am not the only person to have attracted their unwanted attention.Between the new overpass bridge and the back of the Emo station on Clare st there are 3 eastern european guys 6 footish hanging around.One of them waits up ahead pretending to be on his mobile phone while 2 others appear out of nowhere from behind.Luckily myself and another person the previous day copped on to them.Just a heads up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

I wouldn't go up there if you paid me. Not surprised to hear this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I used walk there the odd time. There's a drink/drugs spot in a derelict house behind the petrol station. It attracts some really undesirable people.

Be very careful down there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

theparish wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm sure alot of Limerick boardsies enjoy the amenity that is the park canal.The reason I am posting this is that I have noticed these guys a couple of times over the holiday weekend and I am not the only person to have attracted their unwanted attention.Between the new overpass bridge and the back of the Emo station on Clare st there are 3 eastern european guys 6 footish hanging around.One of them waits up ahead pretending to be on his mobile phone while 2 others appear out of nowhere from behind.Luckily myself and another person the previous day copped on to them.Just a heads up.

Crud, I go running here quite often. Did you report this to the guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Run that stretch on occasion as one of my alternate routes, but have never had any hassle. Have seen plenty of not so friendly looking folk there over the years but I might be a little too large to appear an easy target.

Would agree with Futureguy regarding the Gardai. They should be rang at the first sign of potential hassle, and if it is actual trouble/intimidation then 999 should be used rather than a local station number. Better to be safe than sorry, and I am sure the gardai would prefer to be called out when it is at the stage when they can do something rather than being called after someone was attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

There was a piece in today's Leader about some lad being mugged for a phone down there on Monday morning at 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I run along here regularly and have seen all sorts going on down there.
    I was only down there this morning, around 11am, feeding the ducks with my 2 1/2 year old and just as we were
    heading off a trio of dodgylads came along and went directly under the flyover itself, where it's barred off.
    They each had a pallet and bag of cans. Looked like they were about to start a fire for themselves and set up for the day.

I didn't feel unsafe but I would imagine anyone walking along there in a few hours will meet them as they're feeling the effects of the few cans.
    It seems to be a magnet for them as it's very well sheltered and they have a headstart on the guards should they come along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Poor woman, hope she was not badly shocked or hurt by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

I am a female and I have been doing this walk twice a day with my dog for the last 2 years, really enjoy it and have recommended it to colleagues. Very sad to hear about this incident and hope it was a case of opportunistic criminality. Perhaps this will increase the Garda presence on the walk.

What do people define as ‘dodgy characters’? Is this judged on the way people are dressed? I have gotten into conversations with fella’s wearing rags, with a bunch of cans, away fishing for the day. The only incident I had was with a bunch of young lad’s drunks on cans hurling inappropriate abuse; one of them actually threw a punch at my partner. We rang 999 and got told to ring Henry Street , who told us to come in and make a statement and didn’t have the resources to send anyone out.....

Advertisement