Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win mail deleted messages keep coming back

Options
  • 28-10-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

I have win mail on a vista and thunderbird on a win 7. Recently one email address keeps loading deleted messages.

But just to be sure i deleted all the win mail folders/ registry settings etc and restored them as here but it is still happening

I figure it must be eircom as it could not happen to two different programs on two different computers at the same time . So i wondered if anyone else had this experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I had this exact issue this week (well not me, my OH's Dad) and it's because his account was finally upgraded to IMAP from POP3. He kept getting message after message regardless of deletion - related to whatever Eircom do with the old POP related account online, you need to remove the old one and add it again with the following settings:

Account Type: Email Account - IMAP
    Incoming Mail Server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail1.eircom.net / smtp server of your provider
    Username: Email address without @eircom.net
    Password: Password of account as before

In Outgoing Server Settings, be sure to make sure the "SMTP Requires Verification" option for the same settings as Incoming Server.

outlook-outgoing-server.png

This is good news for you since your accounts are now in Sync instead of pulling a copy to every available device that makes the POP3 request.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

advertsfox wrote: »
    I had this exact issue this week (well not me, my OH's Dad) and it's because his account was finally upgraded to IMAP from POP3. He kept getting message after message regardless of deletion - related to whatever Eircom do with the old POP related account online, you need to remove the old one and add it again with the following settings:

Account Type: Email Account - IMAP
    Incoming Mail Server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail1.eircom.net / smtp server of your provider
    Username: Email address without @eircom.net
    Password: Password of account as before

In Outgoing Server Settings, be sure to make sure the "SMTP Requires Verification" option for the same settings as Incoming Server.

outlook-outgoing-server.png

This is good news for you since your accounts are now in Sync instead of pulling a copy to every available device that makes the POP3 request.
    So this means my mail is now IMAP?

It is indeed as well as 5GB of storage space ;)

It is indeed as well as 5GB of storage space ;)
    all account or just the one i am having trouble with?

And can i just go to accounts and change the setting to IMAP etc or have i to delete the account and start again

blastit wrote: »
    all account or just the one i am having trouble with?
    It should only be the one you are having trouble with (getting duplicate email). Eircom have a vast amount of eircom.net accounts and are upgrading them in stages. The only way to know for sure if you've been upgraded is to login to https://secure.eircom.net/email/ and see if you have the new interface vs. the older one.

Old POP3:

eircom1hz3.png

New IMAP:

home.png

• Advertisement

It should only be the one you are having trouble with (getting duplicate email). Eircom have a vast amount of eircom.net accounts and are upgrading them in stages. The only way to know for sure if you've been upgraded is to login to https://secure.eircom.net/email/ and see if you have the new interface vs. the older one.

Old POP3:

eircom1hz3.png

New IMAP:

home.png
    I do actually have the new interface on the problem account

To check email is it sync you click?

I can send/receive but they are not syncing. I do not get a copy of message sent from vista in my win 7 sent folder?

To check email is it sync you click?

I can send/receive but they are not syncing. I do not get a copy of message sent from vista in my win 7 sent folder?
    Okay so it is IMAP now. Did you remove the old account and add it again with the new details?

Okay so it is IMAP now. Did you remove the old account and add it again with the new details?
    yes . In thunderbird there is a sent and a sent items folder for the account. It is syncing to the sent items

Is all this needed for syncing? I thought just having IMAP meant two pc's would be synced

There are also two junk mail folders

yes . In thunderbird there is a sent and a sent items folder for the account. It is syncing to the sent items

Is all this needed for syncing? I thought just having IMAP meant two pc's would be synced

There are also two junk mail folders
    Yes it is, its like accessing Gmail from multiple PC's. IMAP is stored in "online folders" so there will be a local Sent and online Sent folder. You just need to subscribed to all the folders you need (Inbox, Outbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash, Junk) - here's a guide for Thunderbird.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/thunderbird_tip_change_imap_folder_subscriptions.html

In Windows Mail you just right click the account on the left hand side and "Choose IMAP Folders or Subscriptions".

• Advertisement

Yes it is, its like accessing Gmail from multiple PC's. IMAP is stored in "online folders" so there will be a local Sent and online Sent folder. You just need to subscribed to all the folders you need (Inbox, Outbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash, Junk) - here's a guide for Thunderbird.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/thunderbird_tip_change_imap_folder_subscriptions.html

In Windows Mail you just right click the account on the left hand side and "Choose IMAP Folders or Subscriptions".
    Thanks for your help much appreciated. The repeating messages were driving me nuts

Thanks for your help much appreciated. The repeating messages were driving me nuts
    No problem, happy to help!

Great help.:D Had compacted win mail and t'bird several times and deleted and restored win mail

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

if you are getting old mails twice or more it is because eircom has moved your email account from the old server (5mb max inbox) to the new zimbra server (max 5gb inbox)

if you are getting old mails twice or more it is because eircom has moved your email account from the old server (5mb max inbox) to the new zimbra server (max 5gb inbox)
    you should read back over this thread, I think that may have been mentioned

Hi again.My mail is not syncing now.

Do both pc's have to be on when the mail is sent? Evenn that does not work. And there are two sent folders in my eircom webmail? One is POP 3 and one IMAP? How to know which is which?

Hi again.My mail is not syncing now.

Do both pc's have to be on when the mail is sent? Evenn that does not work. And there are two sent folders in my eircom webmail? One is POP 3 and one IMAP? How to know which is which?
    No both devices don't have to be on at the same time - if you use your iPhone only for a month and then use Outlook - it will be up to date once it syncs.

If you send a mail on your phone, that will then be present when you next sync with Outlook (and vice versa). There is most likely a local "Sent" folder and an IMAP folder - send a test mail to yourself in Outlook and delete the folder that the test mail does NOT go into.

Also, there are no POP3 folders - all your old mails that were stored online are now transferred over to the new setup. IMAP and POP3 are just the protocols.

No both devices don't have to be on at the same time - if you use your iPhone only for a month and then use Outlook - it will be up to date once it syncs.
    OK it is just two pcs one vista and one seven. Vista=windows mail seven = t'bird. If both devices do not have to be on why are they not syncing?
    If you send a mail on your phone, that will then be present when you next sync with Outlook (and vice versa). There is most likely a local "Sent" folder and an IMAP folder - send a test mail to yourself in Outlook and delete the folder that the test mail does NOT go into.
    Will try that
    Also, there are no POP3 folders - all your old mails that were stored online are now transferred over to the new setup. IMAP and POP3 are just the protocols.
    OK
    Ok thanks. I have noticed i have to open a mail with an attachment before it all downloads. I am not set to retrieve headers only
    I think that happens with just mail but its too quick to be sure. Attachment take a few secs

OK it is just two pcs one vista and one seven. Vista=windows mail seven = t'bird. If both devices do not have to be on why are they not syncing?
    Will try that
    OK
    Ok thanks. I have noticed i have to open a mail with an attachment before it all downloads. I am not set to retrieve headers only
    I think that happens with just mail but its too quick to be sure. Attachment take a few secs
    Apologies I keep saying iPhone from the last bit of email help I've done.

It's perfectly fine to use two PC's at the same time, separate, one at a time etc. and neither will affect each others sync so their might be another issue here.

Regarding attachments, that's a preference in your software for security purposes - which application does NOT download the attachments?

Apologies I keep saying iPhone from the last bit of email help I've done.

It's perfectly fine to use two PC's at the same time, separate, one at a time etc. and neither will affect each others sync so their might be another issue here.

Regarding attachments, that's a preference in your software for security purposes - which application does NOT download the attachments?
    windows mail on vista. Whenn i send mail on seven i see it in the sent win mail on vista. But i have to open the message to have it download the attachment. Is that normal?

• Advertisement

windows mail on vista. Whenn i send mail on seven i see it in the sent win mail on vista. But i have to open the message to have it download the attachment. Is that normal?
    Yeah it's normal for safety reasons, you can turn if off in Tools > Safety Options (or Preferences if it's an older version).

Disabling_Windows_Live_Mail_Blockin.png

Yeah it's normal for safety reasons, you can turn if off in Tools > Options / Preferences > Security

Disabling_Windows_Live_Mail_Blockin.png
    OK thanks:D

Advertisement