Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Micro SD Cards in Ireland

Options
  • 28-10-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Am wondering where can i buy good micro SD cards with a space of at least 32-64GB on it.Anyone know any specific shops in say dublin .

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Am wondering where can i buy good micro SD cards with a space of at least 32-64GB on it.Anyone know any specific shops in say dublin .

Ebay,you'll get ripped off in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Won't cost you anything to check out the prices in the mobile phone shops, they all sell them. Try to buy one with an SD adapter, that will allow you to use them in a digital camera and/or in a memory card reader. Most new laptops come with a SD slot so you can quickly transfer photos and/or music to/from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

would they have them in the 64-128Gb range?I am wondering as I want to know are the 64gb and 128gb micro sd cards the same size as the 16gb cards in terms of length and width as I need them for a flashcart

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

http://www.shop4memory.com/

Based in Ireland, competitive pricing, 2 day delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Typo in Zascar's URL two posts above, the website is http://www.mymemory.co.uk/
    would they have them in the 64-128Gb range?I am wondering as I want to know are the 64gb and 128gb micro sd cards the same size as the 16gb cards in terms of length and width as I need them for a flashcart

Yes they are, all devices called micsoSD are the same physical size but the (internal) architecture is different depending on the capacity range it falls into. Above 32GB is called SDXC so you need to be sure that your device can support SDXC or you will be limited to SDHC which tops out at 32GB.

Sandisk only go up to 64GB with micsoSD and the two websites mentioned above selling memory aren't offering any microSD memory cards above 64GB. I suspect the current RAM technology can't squeeze that much capacity into the microSD shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bird Brain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've used www.memoryc.ie in Celbridge before and have found them both price competitive and efficient.

(No connection with them btw!)

(They seem to be the same as Shop4memory...)

32gb has the best value for money point at the moment.
    amazon.co.uk or one of the memory sites offer the best value.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just be careful though as most of the cheap ones have very slow writing speeds, takes forever to write that much data! I opted for two smaller ones instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

As above, beware of some eBay sellers, I bought a cheap 32GB one that failed in three months. Was branded Sandisk but I'm highly skeptical as to if it was the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

irish_goat wrote: »
    Ebay,you'll get ripped off in Ireland.

In Ireland, you'll merely get overcharged. On eBay, there's every chance you'll be sent something that's a counterfeit, or an outright fake. One common practice seems to be to take a much smaller card and "juke" the headers so that it reads as the advertised size. If you do go that route, make sure you test it fully before your dispute-filing period is over.

Last time I ordered one I used amazon.co.uk, which seemed like a reasonable compromise. There's also the likes of flubit.com -- they seem to use the same third-party suppliers, but indirectly undercut the Amazon price.

Advertisement