Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

improving my broadband

• 28-10-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I am willing to improve my broadband, I have basic knowledge about networking so I would really appreciate any tip or advice.

I have a 100MB broadband with UPC, I have the technicolor TC7200 as modem and I was used to connect wirelessly to both all my devices including my computer and PS3.
    I noticed a huge difference between speedtests done on my Iphone4, Ipad mini, computer and PS3, the iphone 4 and ipad mini always get high speed, almost double of the speed that I get in my computer.

I decided to try the homeplugs and bought the On network 500 from currys ( http://www.currys.ie/Product/ON-NETWORKS-PL500199UKS-Powerline-Adapter-Kit-andndash-Twin-Pack/319951/7.14 ) and connected 1 to the UPC modem and 1 to my computer using the RJ45, I am getting a speed between 30MB to 45MB while before I was used to get most of the time a speed between 15MB and 30MB, occasionally I reached the 40 to 45MB.

Is there anything else that I can do to improve my speed?

Also I want to connect my PS3 via RJ45, is it a good idea to connect the homeplug to a router (Cisco EPC2425) and from the router have 2 RJ45 cable one for the computer and 1 for the PS3?

and last question, is there anyway to connect to the homeplug and change the settings?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I use homeplugs and find them grand. I have one connected to the router and the other end in connected to the PC and a third plug to the PS3. Works perfectly. Always better to have wired over wireless if you have the choice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Homeplugs are ok, and generally better then wifi, however for best performance you should run cat5e cable from the router to any PC's/PS3's/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What's a homeplug?

You could put a network switch (cost about €20) where your PC and PS3 are and run a CAT5 cable to your modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willbpower

bk wrote: »
    Homeplugs are ok, and generally better then wifi, however for best performance you should run cat5e cable from the router to any PC's/PS3's/etc.

CAT6 is the better option as cat5e will auto negotiate itself back to 10mbps at times and at best to 100mbps. cat6 has ge capability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

willbpower wrote: »
    CAT6 is the better option as cat5e will auto negotiate itself back to 10mbps at times and at best to 100mbps. cat6 has ge capability

cat5e supports Gigabit speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willbpower

cat5e supports Gigabit speeds

Agreed but auto negotiation on cat5e does not always pick this up.

Advertisement