Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing Electric?

Options
  • 28-10-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am guessing someone is stealing my electric but i am not sure about it. There are two issues that occur which shows my guessing is true. Firstly, my electric bill become far less then before while I start to supervise my electric meter. I still use as many electric equipment as normal and the same amount of time but the usage is half amount as before. Secondly, while i removed all the item which consumes electric, the electric meter still moves very slowly for a while.
    Am I right with my guesses?
    If it is true, who should I contact to get help with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi A391980,

Thanks for your message.

It is very unlikely that anyone is tampering with your meter with the intention of drawing power from it; besides being extremely dangerous, this would be quite clear to anyone inspecting your meter, such as a meter reader. If you have good reason to believe somebody has physically interferred with your meter  (i.e. the ESB Networks' seal is broken, or there is an extra cable running from it that wasn't there before - again, very unlikely) then you would need to contact your supplier immediately.
    A391980 wrote:
    while i removed all the item which consumes electric, the electric meter still moves very slowly for a while.

This is perfectly normal. When you turn off all your power (e.g. at the main trip switch), it can take 5-10 minutes for the meter to fully wind down. 
    A391980 wrote:
    who should I contact to get help with?

We're happy to help guide you in reducing your usage - this resource on our website is a great place to start. If you'd like to send us a PM with your account details (confirming your full name/address/contact no. for data protection) we'd also be happy to go through your bills with you.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement