Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulch / Bark

• 28-10-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking for some advice please. I have a substantial amount of branches that I need to shred they are not turning out as good as I expected and I think I might have to put them through twice. I am going to throw them under laurel bushes I have to decay and feed them would they be ok to throw under the way they are in photo ? Would they break down by next summer ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Freshly chipped branches should not be mulched around existing shrubs/hedging as there is a considerable risk that the plants will be damaged by the heat generated during the decomposition of the branches.

You could chip them and set aside for a few weeks (turning occasionally) and then use as a mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Freshly chipped branches should not be mulched around existing shrubs/hedging as there is a considerable risk that the plants will be damaged by the heat generated during the decomposition of the branches.

You could chip them and set aside for a few weeks (turning occasionally) and then use as a mulch.
    Ok thanks for the tip will do that but size wise do you think they are ok ? Or would they need to be put through again ? I have tons and tons of the stuff so I am hoping one run through the shredder is enough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Also anybody know when the best time to prune a young sweet chestnut tree is ? (Only planted last year)
    Thanks

Advertisement