Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is honesty the best policy?

Options
  • 28-10-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.

2 weeks ago I was employed on a Christmas contract which runs until christmas eve. I didn't mention in the interview however that I am leaving for Australia on the 6th of January as I didn't feel I had to seeing as it was a christmas contract.

The 'word on the street' is though that the managers have been very impressed with me and are going to ask me to stay on after christmas on a permanent contract.

Here lies the problem though, my partner also works at the same establishment and is there on a permanent contract. What should I say when/if they ask me to stay on? If I tell them i'm leaving then they will know my partner is also leaving which could reduce her hours in the lead up to christmas as they would want to train up somebody else.

If I say yes, that I will stay on and then just leave, i'll be leaving on bad terms. If I say no, i'm taking a year out to travel then both our hours could be cut at such a potentially profitable time of the year as new employees would be trained. I would love to leave on good terms and have the opportunity of taking up the position whenever I arrive home.

Any advice? Is honesty the best policy or will it compromise the hours we are both getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh ... yes honesty is usually best.

But in this case, could you make up some reason about planning to do a college course or somesuch next year, for which reason you want to stay on a temp contract. You'll need to know enough about it to talk sensibly about what your plans are - but surely you can find an interesting looking course in a PLC (in a subject that the manager isn't interested in) that you could talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Say because you were taken on as a temp you have something else lined up for once it comes to an end. Whatever you you do don't tell them about your travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The problem with suggesting college courses/another job lined up is that my place of work is very local to me so people would know it isn't true. Im finding it hard enough to keep the travel plans under wraps. Im just hoping im not asked until a stage where it wouldn't affect hours being received.

When i return it would be useful to have this job there and i would ideally like to leave on a 'this job will be there when you come back' kind of terms.

Suggesting i have other plans because they would quickly find out i was lying which would leave a sour taste in their mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Why do you have to say what your plans are? Just thank them, and say, sorry, you had not planned to stay after Christmas but that you really appreciate the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I would say Honesty is the best policy. When they approach you about staying on, be flattered but tell them that you are going off to Australia for a year as you have a good job lined up and you'd like the experience. Then tell them that you love the job here and are looking forward to getting stuck in to work for the run up to Christmas and will be willing to work any hours God sends you as you need a few bob to get settled in to Australia.

This IMO lets them know that you are independent and that you want to work hard for the company but you will be back next year. For your girlfriend I suggest that she comes up with the same tac, as she's gonna have to tell them sometime anyway and it is good that she will give them lots of notice etc.. On the note of hours they will use you for as much as they can and then when January comes along and their working out the new budget they are free to hire or not, new staff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement