Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost replacement ceiling

Options
  • 28-10-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

5 metre x 3 metre kitchen ceiling to be removed and replaced. Dublin area. What would the cost of this be ? It may be .5 metre over each way on the measurements given

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

And ideas on how much this would cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

New ceiling would be as follows (no builders profit on this, it is simply based on true costs):

6 sheets of plasterboard 48.00
    Skim 2/3 bags 25.00
    allow for accessories, screws, tapes etc 75.00
    Labour 2 men for 1 day 430.00.
    skip for waste 170.00
    labour removing allow 1 day 180.00
    Painter allow 1 man 2 days 430.00
    Paint materials etc 50.00
    Total €1408 plus VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

kkelliher wrote: »
    New ceiling would be as follows (no builders profit on this, it is simply based on true costs):

6 sheets of plasterboard 48.00
    Skim 2/3 bags 25.00
    allow for accessories, screws, tapes etc 75.00
    Labour 2 men for 1 day 430.00.
    skip for waste 170.00
    labour removing allow 1 day 180.00
    Painter allow 1 man 2 days 430.00
    Paint materials etc 50.00
    Total €1408 plus VAT

€480 plus VAT to paint a kitchen ceiling?

€758 plus VAT for removal and replacement of the ceiling?

They sound like 2008 prices to me.

€480 plus VAT to paint a kitchen ceiling?

€758 plus VAT for removal and replacement of the ceiling?

They sound like 2008 prices to me.

That price seems very high. Screws fixings 75 euro ?? Painting 480 . And the poster says the builder would make no money off of it. . Mind boggles

OP, you can remove the ceiling yourself, no need for a skip etc.

All you need is a plasterer to screw the new ceiling and skim it.

I would imagine you would be looking at circa €30 a m2 which totals €450.00 plus VAT if builder is charging that.

*you might need an electrician to disconnect lights in the ceiling and re-connect them afterwards* (don't do that yourself)

Then after the skim coat is dry you can just paint it yourself using a roller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Depends on how you are finishing the ceiling.

Are you just pulling down existing plasterboard and then re-boarding, skimming and painting?

Or, are you installing a new (false) ceiling below the existing ceiling?

To re-board the ceiling would be approx:

6 sheets plasterboard x €8 = €48

1 box drywall screws = €9

Scrim and plaster = €25 - €30

Paint = up to you where you buy it

Labour should be no more than €200 - €300.

A days work for a skimmer and a labourer.

Paint it yourself OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

if its a flat roof kitchen extension then have a look at foil backed slabs and rockwool slab insulation or insulated 8 x 4 slabs for the ceiling . keep the heat in so no cold kitchen in wintertime .
    after skim coat has dried (give it 2 weeks to cure and dry) then roller on 20% watered down white emulsion paint to prime the ceiling . leave that to dry and then give ceiling two decent coats of normal ceiling emulsion paint

10 litre tub of white ceiling paint in any builders providers for 15 euro .

That price seems very high. Screws fixings 75 euro ?? Painting 480 . And the poster says the builder would make no money off of it. . Mind boggles

get prices from tradesmen and then come back and post what they are; you asked a question, got an answer and now its too high.

All other posts note the obvious which is you can do the painting yourself. The other prices are based on using registered tradesmen. You could also take down the ceiling yourself so then you would only need to get the ceiling put up and plastered.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Depends on how you are finishing the ceiling.

Are you just pulling down existing plasterboard and then re-boarding, skimming and painting?

Or, are you installing a new (false) ceiling below the existing ceiling?

To re-board the ceiling would be approx:

6 sheets plasterboard x €8 = €48

1 box drywall screws = €9

Scrim and plaster = €25 - €30

Paint = up to you where you buy it

Labour should be no more than €200 - €300.

A days work for a skimmer and a labourer.

Paint it yourself OP.

Based on the above prices I need to get your number...... I receive quotes for this type of work everyday (due to the work I currently do) and I have never had prices this low in the Dublin area (having completed over 300-400 similar projects to date)

Based on the above prices I need to get your number...... I receive quotes for this type of work everyday (due to the work I currently do) and I have never had prices this low in the Dublin area (having completed over 300-400 similar projects to date)

I find it very hard to believe that in your line of work that you receive quotes for €32 m2 plus VAT to paint a ceiling.

Also 50.53 plus VAT for replacement of plasterboard ceiling.

There are market rates for these items which are considerably lower than that and from my line of business I can confirm that.

• Advertisement

I got quotes 500 - 600 take down and replace plaster etc. Will paint myself. Will have to check if that includes taking material away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

5 metre x 3 metre kitchen ceiling to be removed and replaced. Dublin area. What would the cost of this be ? It may be .5 metre over each way on the measurements given

I had a sitting room ceiling replaced. 5m by 6m.

(Bear in mind i know nothing about it)

Ceiling taken down, reslabbed, plastered, light fixtures replaced, etc.

€400 all up.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I had a sitting room ceiling replaced. 5m by 6m.

(Bear in mind i know nothing about it)

Ceiling taken down, reslabbed, plastered, light fixtures replaced, etc.

€400 all up.

When and where ? Also was the waste taken away ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    if its a flat roof kitchen extension then have a look at foil backed slabs and rockwool slab insulation or insulated 8 x 4 slabs for the ceiling . keep the heat in so no cold kitchen in wintertime .
    after skim coat has dried (give it 2 weeks to cure and dry) then roller on 20% watered down white emulsion paint to prime the ceiling . leave that to dry and then give ceiling two decent coats of normal ceiling emulsion paint

10 litre tub of white ceiling paint in any builders providers for 15 euro .
    dont you think we'd need to know the whole roof build-up before recommending insulation?

Not an extention; two storey standard kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

When and where ? Also was the waste taken away ?

Waste taken away.

I find it very hard to believe that in your line of work that you receive quotes for €32 m2 plus VAT to paint a ceiling.

Also 50.53 plus VAT for replacement of plasterboard ceiling.

There are market rates for these items which are considerably lower than that and from my line of business I can confirm that.

the basis of a rate is the time something takes and the labour cost associated. If someone is charging €400 to replace your ceiling then they cannot be doing it in accordance with the rates required by law. Whereas you may get a painter to paint a ceiling for €5-6/m2 depending on quantity, the same painter will not paint your ceiling for €85 based on the same rate because the area is smaller and time taken to do it will be more. It will also involve a second day between coats.

you will always get someone to do something cheaper if you shop around, every trade, product, service is the same. There will always be someone willing to do something for a fraction of another.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Waste taken away.

Very good. Different rates around the country also was it this year last year etc would be of relevance.

To be fair KK...if a skimmer and a labourer walked into a kitchen which needed 6 sheets screwed up, then skimmed, i would think €300 between the 2 is fine.

6 boards up - 1.5 hrs max.

Skim an area of approx 15 sq metres - 4 - 5 hrs.

€300 minus the vat is approx €264.

€132 per man for between 5.5 and 6.5 hrs is a fair price i feel.

Not a hard days work by any means.

Just to provide a bit of context - the last ceiling i did for a guy on boards was for 136 square metres. I completely supplied and installed the entire house in one day (with a work collegue) for €1300 inclusive of vat.

I know it was the metal work only but compare it with your figure of over €1400 for an area of 15 square metres.

Again i don't want to sound critical but i thought your price was quite high.

To be fair KK...if a skimmer and a labourer walked into a kitchen which needed 6 sheets screwed up, then skimmed, i would think €300 between the 2 is fine.

6 boards up - 1.5 hrs max.

Skim an area of approx 15 sq metres - 4 - 5 hrs.

€300 minus the vat is approx €264.

€132 per man for between 5.5 and 6.5 hrs is a fair price i feel.

Not a hard days work by any means.

Just to provide a bit of context - the last ceiling i did for a guy on boards was for 136 square metres. I completely supplied and installed the entire house in one day (with a work collegue) for €1300 inclusive of vat.

I know it was the metal work only but compare it with your figure of over €1400 for an area of 15 square metres.

Again i don't want to sound critical but i thought your price was quite high.

I dont for a second disagree with the above but the market in which i receive quotes would differ. I do a large amount of ceiling repairs and in the main across a large number of contractors i struggle to get them done within the above

• Advertisement

€132 per man for between 5.5 and 6.5 hrs.

It must be noted For record that this does not equate to industry rates and they would also be deemed to include an allowance for prsi, pension etc etc which are all legal requirements

It must be noted For record that this does not equate to industry rates and they would also be deemed to include an allowance for prsi, pension etc etc which are all legal requirements

The unfortunate thing for me (not a plasterer) is that we do not fall under the remit of any industry rates. Even trying to get a union to recognise the metal stud/ceiling fixer is nigh on impossible!! I had more trouble over the years from union reps who wanted subs but wouldn't recognise our entitlements on certain sites.

Self employment do not require prsi or pension entitlement - at least not yet..i'm sure this great government will make sure we pay a "tax" "levy" or "charge" somewhere down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

The unfortunate thing for me (not a plasterer) is that we do not fall under the remit of any industry rates. Even trying to get a union to recognise the metal stud/ceiling fixer is nigh on impossible!! I had more trouble over the years from union reps who wanted subs but wouldn't recognise our entitlements on certain sites.

Self employment do not require prsi or pension entitlement - at least not yet..i'm sure this great government will make sure we pay a "tax" "levy" or "charge" somewhere down the line.

do you do normal plasterboard ceilings and skim coating aswell?
    could you give me an approx price of slabbing out a ceiling area and skimming it . if I gave you the size of my ceiling can you give me a rough quote or idea of price ?

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    do you do normal plasterboard ceilings and skim coating aswell?
    could you give me an approx price of slabbing out a ceiling area and skimming it . if I gave you the size of my ceiling can you give me a rough quote or idea of price ?

Post it in the "looking for a tradesman" thread crazyeye.

It's against the rules on boards for me to shill for work here...i can only reply to you if you post specifically in the "looking for a tradesman" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Looking for quote to pull down ceiling and reboard it and plaster it as there are too many cracks - the area is 55 square meters - how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

For that size ceiling I'd say 50 euros/m square, including, demolishing, levelling, slabbing, plastering and painting. Not included electrician, insulation and air-tightness barrier.

For that size ceiling I'd say 50 euros/m square, including, demolishing, levelling, slabbing, plastering and painting. Not included electrician, insulation and air-tightness barrier.

Surely you mean to say €500 euros and not €50!!!

Benny122 wrote: »

Surely you mean to say 500 euros and not 50!!!
    Add your reply here.

hardly over 25 k LOL

Add your reply here.

hardly over 25 k LOL

So your saying €50 to tear down 55square meter ceiling. Sur the material alone would cost more than €50

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Benny122 wrote: »
    Surely you mean to say €500 euros and not €50!!!

read the post again

Advertisement