Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Kilkenny Wedding venue

Options
  • 28-10-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi all

Just asking all Kilkenny people what is the best wedding venue in Kilkenny city

Newpark Hotel
    Ormonde hotel
    River court hotel
    Hotel Kilkenny

River court looks a lovely setting but just wondering do they do good weddings??

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

I would pick River Court then Hotel Kilkenny.
    Ormonde I felt was to dark.
    Newpark not been to a wedding there.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

It may or may not have any bearing on your decision but the River Court hotel is currently in receivership and up for sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Sister had it in Hotel Kilkenny this year. They were pretty good but closed down the residents bar at 3 or 4 which was a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Many thanks for your unbiased comments. In relation to river court would it matter being in receivership? Would there be a danger in losing deposit etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your unbiased comments. In relation to river court would it matter being in receivership? Would there be a danger in losing deposit etc?

I believe if you could pay the deposit with credit card, it would be secure.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Got married in the Newpark and were delighted with everything, venue, food, staff, residents bar etc. would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Ive been to weddings in Newpark, Hotel Kilkenny, Ormonde and River court in the last two years and would rank them in that order. Newpark just has a great feel to the place, all in the one spot and the garden right there if the weather is nice. HKK is a bit too big, two weddings I was at there both had 250+ guests and it still felt big but everything was lovely there, food and service top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Got married ourselves a few weeks ago and had the reception at the Ormonde Hotel. We had about 170 sitting and the ballroom was perfect size and couldve fit more. They have a dedicated kids room (at the rear in the ballroom) with bouncy castle which was handy for us. We were treated very well by the hotel throughout the booking and the day and couldn't recommend the place highly enough.

Although i doubt people would say much different, everyone has said what a brilliant time they had and how good the food was in particular.

One thing they do lack is a grounds/garden for photos but there is a patio area with overhanging trees if people got stuck. Luckily we got a great day so had other places on way to hotel. It being dark early this time of year, it didnt matter to us that the ballroom itself isnt naturally lit or offered any views.

I was at a wedding at Hotel Kilkenny last year and they have a garden off the ballroom with chairs etc for smokers but is also nice to sit outside on arrival. Im not sure if they were undergoing renovation at the time but some of the guest rooms were modern, whereas others were in need of attention/updating. As someone else mentioned, id also say the food was good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Was sideing with the Rivercourt at moment so what would be the downside to this place?? Many thanks G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

We were originally looking at the Rivercourt for our own wedding due to the fabulous view of the castle from it. However, when we went in there to speak to the manager, we felt it was quite dated and traditional in terms of the decor.

I liked Hotel Kilkenny. It had a nice modern feel to it. They have two ballrooms, one is absolutely massive for 200+ and then there is the smaller one which opened out onto a lovely garden.

The Ormonde is a nice hotel. The ballroom is a good size and it can look great when all done up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

Ormonde is fab for weddings but nicest wedding I have been to in Kilkenny was the Lyrath, absolutely amazing! Pricey though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Concur regarding Lyrath. Lovely setting but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Hard to beat Langtons for a wedding imo. Even though I think the days/night's available are restrictive enough (club is on Thurs & Sat)

Was at a wedding in Newpark during the summer and was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

We had ours in Hunter's yard in mount Juliet. Had a great day. No complaints and the staff were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Would go with Langtons myself. Excellent pricing and the food is always top quality.
    I would go for the newpark as 2nd choice.
    I would avoid the Rivercourt. I was at a few weddings there over the years and if the bar is due to close at 1.00, that's it and no chance of a late one. Expensive and lots of extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Bar does not close at one on the button and what are these extra charges??? Drink prices or package prices???

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Was only using 1.00 as an example, but I've been to 3 weddings in the Rivercourt and whatever time the bar extension was, it closed bang on that time. Any other weddings I've been to keep serving til there's people there to serve.
    The charges, I know of two couples who priced the place, you would be charged a fine if the guests didn't sit down in the dining room on time, if the band didn't start on time or finish on time. There was a few others aswell, but can't remember them now.
    Maybe it's changed now, seen as the hotel was up for auction last week.

Advertisement