Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in garage

• 28-10-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

We have mice and I have a wife that is terrified of them.

I have tried to identify where they are getting in...there are no holes that I can see...the only one is above the roller door in the garage and the holes cause the rounded sections in the garage door.

I have looked online about mouse proofing garage doors and all the answers seem to address the bottom seal on the door....makes me think that mice can't climb over roller doors...

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this or even if mice can climb etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Dylbag wrote: »

Thanks in advance

Mice can just about run straight up walls. Particularly if it's not smooth, like a dashed wall.
    They can get in through gaps that you'd struggle to see through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dylbag wrote: »
    We have mice and I have a wife that is terrified of them.

I have tried to identify where they are getting in...there are no holes that I can see...the only one is above the roller door in the garage and the holes cause the rounded sections in the garage door.

I have looked online about mouse proofing garage doors and all the answers seem to address the bottom seal on the door....makes me think that mice can't climb over roller doors...

Thanks in advance

Very hard to move proof anything. They can chew through concrete. Traps is pretty much best way to drop the numbers. Or a ferret.smell of a ferret will keep them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Yeah, as above, traps are the only really effective solution. Try to find the paths they are using most regularly (by the droppings), and put the traps at the spots where they seem to be going to ground/nest. And I wouldn't bother with the humane ones; the cheap sprung ones will do the job, whereas if you use the capture ones, either you will release them so close that they just come straight back, or else you drive several miles, wasting fuel, and still you will just be passing the problem on to somebody else, which isn't fair either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Would you consider adopting a pet?
    Most terriers, Most cats and Most ferrets will deal with mice effectively
    Lots of dogs and cats looking for homes in shelters & rescues all over the country

(I say most because occasionally you will get damn lazy dogs & cats) :rolleyes:

ferretone wrote: »
    Yeah, as above, traps are the only really effective solution. Try to find the paths they are using most regularly (by the droppings), and put the traps at the spots where they seem to be going to ground/nest. And I wouldn't bother with the humane ones; the cheap sprung ones will do the job, whereas if you use the capture ones, either you will release them so close that they just come straight back, or else you drive several miles, wasting fuel, and still you will just be passing the problem on to somebody else, which isn't fair either.

I'd add to this excellent advice, just to be very careful where you set your traps. Make absolute sure that only the target species can access the trap. The last thing you want is to trap a bird or the like.
    Best of luck with your trapping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I have mice in the house, I was watching TV with the doors open into the kitchen the other night, the GSD was lying watching the mouse come out, take food out of his bowl & stroll back into its hole with it. If a cat or fly comes into the house he's Coco the hunter & won't rest until they're dead/gone, apparently mice are his friends and allowed to share his food :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Had mice almost every year in the garage. Sometimes they make it into the house. If I see one I know there is always about 5 more of theirs mates somewhere. My dogs are no use and too slow to get them.

I've tried the plug in's to deter them but found one of them sitting on it.

Cheap mouse traps like you find in the garage. Tons of them. Mix up the bate, my current bate is a cadbury's caramel. Mainly for its stickability to the trap and even if they manage to get the chocolate off there is some caramel left for someone else. I find 1/4 of the traps are no use but there around 2euro for 4.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cheap mouse traps like you find in the garage. Tons of them. Mix up the bate, my current bate is a cadbury's caramel. Mainly for its stickability to the trap and even if they manage to get the chocolate off there is some caramel left for someone else. I find 1/4 of the traps are no use but there around 2euro for 4.

A small dab of chunky Peanut butter pushed into the depression in the wood. Its the crack cocaine of the mouse world and they can smell it a mile away.

Then keep the trap right on the very edge of its trigger. If you haven't set them off 50% of the time when placing it on the ground, your doing it wrong and that's why they are getting the bait.

We just found out we have them. 5th story penthouse apartment. They can get in pretty much anywhere.

A small dab of chunky Peanut butter pushed into the depression in the wood. Its the crack cocaine of the mouse world and they can smell it a mile away.

Then keep the trap right on the very edge of its trigger. If you haven't set them off 50% of the time when placing it on the ground, your doing it wrong and that's why they are getting the bait.

We just found out we have them. 5th story penthouse apartment. They can get in pretty much anywhere.

hahahaha crack cocaine!

The Caramels where on special offer, not sure I can afford peanut butter :D

That's very true regarding setting them off, if you can drop it an inch from the ground its not use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

Just don't put any of this cheese in the traps :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSBO8YAnTQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have had one of those ultrasonic devices plugged in for last 8 years and never had a mouse, well, at least I never spotted evidence or saw a mouse in the garage !

Christmas decoration moving today and noticed the black plastic bag covering one of the plastic boxes was eaten around I move the box outside and a bugger hopped out at me but back into the same box, I shook it around outside but the little **** jumped out and straight back into the corner of my garage behind the logs !!! Grrr, found where it was building a nest in one of the plastic boxes of decorations, all the black plastic was in there.

Off to the hardware shop for 3 traps and tied some bacon to them. Here's hoping its just the one and I catch the bugger, as it was building a nest I assume it's a pregnant female so must catch before reproducing !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Bizzum wrote: »
    I'd add to this excellent advice, just to be very careful where you set your traps. Make absolute sure that only the target species can access the trap. The last thing you want is to trap a bird or the like.
    Best of luck with your trapping!

More good advice here. Pop down to your local woodies and get the 3 packs of wooden traps. They are the cheapest and best traps really.

The mice are only trying to keep warm, the poor mice :)

logik wrote: »
    More good advice here. Pop down to your local woodies and get the 3 packs of wooden traps. They are the cheapest and best traps really.

The mice are only trying to keep warm, the poor mice :)

Don't go there !! This thread is in Animal & Pet ISSUES ;):D

In my case it used the black plastic to make it's nest !

3 traps are set, how long should it take to get a result before I decide perhaps Mickey has done a runner altogether ??

Yes, bugger 1 caught.

Hopefully no more around, left 2 loaded traps to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

peanut butter, never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes, bugger 1 caught.

Hopefully no more around, left 2 loaded traps to see

Well done!!... but no such thing as 1

mikeoh wrote: »
    Well done!!... but no such thing as 1

:confused:

Why not? Pregnant female making a nest, I disturb the nest that there was no young in and then catch the mammy, no ??

stanley1 wrote: »
    peanut butter, never fails.

Used rasher tied to the trap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I thought this was a pet friendly forum...........:o I like mice, they have to live too you know, even if it is in your house...:)

I thought this was a pet friendly forum...........:o I like mice, they have to live too you know, even if it is in your house...:)

In this case the issue being discussed was a pest. Not a pet.

A pest doesn't have to live in your house. Well, not mine anyway.

• Advertisement

They are back in my garage. Cheap traps for the local garage and this years bait has been good aul Galaxy Caramel. Has not failed me yet.

The Rott has tried his best to chase them, its funny when they stop and he goes head over heals trying to turn back!

Advertisement