Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First birthday!

Options
  • 28-10-2013 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Any ideas or suggestions for my sons first birthday? Can't believe he is going to be one soon!!

Do you do a cake for such a young age? I haven't introduced him to sweets yet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww, congrats!

The cake isn't for the baby, it's for the guests (and you!). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Baby's first birthday is for your benefit & photo opps to embaress them when older!! You deserve cake for surviving the first year (at least that's what I told myself when stuffing cake in my mouth!!)
    I had family for dinner & had a cake, just because it is tradition really. It was lovely to have a get together & I got some gorgeous pics with the cake & candle. Do what suits you, it is lovely to mark the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Anyone got any simple recipes/designs for cakes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Anyone got any simple recipes/designs for cakes?!

This was always a popular cake in our house, and I made it for my daughter's 1st birthday last year.
    I usually add a bit of orange juice and zest to the recipe too to make it a chocolate orange cake.

"Harriet Hedgehog"~

THE CAKE~
    - Margarine, 175g/6oz
    - Caster sugar, 175g/6oz
    - Eggs, x3
    - Self-raising flour, 150g/5oz
    - Baking powder, 5ml/1tsp
    - Bournville cocoa (or any other cocoa), 25g/1oz

You will also need an oven-proof basin, greased, that can hold 1.2 litres/2 pints.

DECORATION~
    - Butter, 100g/4oz
    - Icing sugar (sieved), 175g/6oz
    - Bournville cocoa (or any other cocoa), 30ml/1 good tablespoon
    - Large packets of Cadbury's chocolate buttons (or any other chocolate buttons), x2
    - Glacé cherry, x1
    - Roasted coffee beans or seedless raisins x2

METHOD~
    "Cream the margarine and sugar together really well. Gradually beat in the eggs with a spoonful of the flour. Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa together and fold in. Add a little milk if the mixture is too dry. Turn into the prepared basin and bake in a moderate oven (180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4) for about 1 hour. Test with a warm skewer to see that the cake is cooked in the centre. Leave in the basin to cool then turn out.

Make the icing by beating in the butter with the sieved icing sugar. Dissolve the cocoa in a very little boiling water and mix into the butter icing. Spread the flat, top side of the cake with butter icing then cut it in half down the middle. Sandwich the two ends covered with icing together. Spread butter icing all over the cake and lift it onto a plate or cake board. Put a little extra icing at one end and form this into a point for the 'snout'. Cut each chocolate button in half and stick them into the butter icing at an angle, covering all the cake except for the front quarter. Make the points go in the same direction as they represent 'spines'. Mark the 'face' with a fork and put the cherry on the end, with the coffee beans or raisins in position for the 'eyes'."

Advertisement