Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon support

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just thought I'd post how amazing the support was during the dublin marathon. The clapping and cheering got me through the dreaded last few miles. To all those who offered support today I salute you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

tmonty wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post how amazing the support was during the dublin marathon. The clapping and cheering got me through the dreaded last few miles. To all those who offered support today I salute you!!!

+1 support was phenomenal (as it was the last 2years). DCM should be sponsored by Failte Ireland - what a great advertisement for the city & the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

kit3 wrote: »
    +1 support was phenomenal (as it was the last 2years). DCM should be sponsored by Failte Ireland - what a great advertisement for the city & the country.

agreed. It is astounding. I seriously was choked up on about 20 different occasions because of it and I'm not normally that emotional. Even when I really didn't feel like it I just had to acknowledge every single shout out I got. I'm so happy DCM was my first as I don't believe any other would live up to it because of the wonderful support.

the support from the volunteers should be added to that. They were AMAZING today. From the 10 year old boy who handed me my bag to all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

tmonty wrote: »

+2 I was in the worst place in a while and the support constantly made me smile and got me to the line

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I ran the Great North Run in Newcastle in Sep thinking it would be amazing in terms of support. It was amazing for me but it really isn't a patch on Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

+ 1, agree with failte Ireland

Crowds are phenomenal and thanks to you all.

I ran Dublin in 2010, 11 ( didn't finish) and today and crowds were great.
    I supported last year and stayed to the end and loved every minute of it.

Jim and co deserve every credit they get.

In fact, one massive thing today was the volunteers at the finish line thanking the participants. That is just magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

the crowd were amazing . I know why Dublin city marathon is called the friendly marathon , I had to hold back the tears at mile 21 and the lucozade wall of support .Great day out

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

Like the fellow posters, I was amazed at the support of
    the crowd, the stewards, the pacers, the volunteers, water staions, the organisers You were all amazing. I don't normally do the whole emotion piece but was choked at times with the level of support. It was a fantastic day due to all of you. You are a credit to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

+1

It was absolutely incredible from start to finish!
    Jellies, sweets, sliced up oranges, and a special shout out to the chap in Milltown with the Jaffa cakes, mmmm! I was stuffed crossing the line! :-)

Thanks all for making it so special.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

Yes - the support was great - I thought the volume of cheering was greater this year than previously, even. Before doing a marathon, I didn't believe that supporters made much difference, but they do. Having the names on the numbers was good. I was slower than last year, not faster, but that was my own fault and will be rectified next time out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

It was incredible, my first run in Dublin and had a tough day, huge roaring crowd encouraging runners through the wall of support (I think it was called). It was deafening at some points but couldn't have done without it! Credit to everyone who put it all together and all the cute kids on the course with jellies, orange slices, there was a lad on a racing bike handing out water at one point as well.

You can run all over the world but nothing like your home marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Ruubot2 wrote: »

You can run all over the world but nothing like your home marathon.

too right

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I had registered to do the DCM as my first marathon but couldn't due to injury. Instead I said I would go and support those who could. I had never been to a marathon but found the crowd to be fantastic and I was only watching. Really made me want to get stuck into training early and be involved next time out.

Fair play to everyone who ran on Monday. I was standing at about 22.5 mile mark and to see people digging in to get to the end was very inspiring. Total respect.

Advertisement