Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Account issue

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone in here could help me out. I opened an account with Ulster Bank when I was 18 and first started college and never used the account... not one single transaction with them, I maybe got 2 bank statements from them saying I already owed them 3.75 and didn't get an ATM card from them or anything.

I'm now 25 and had completely forgot about the account until I got a letter last month saying they had changed my account to a personal account and that they were going to charge me 20€ a month for having the account open. So I called them last week to close my account and I am 80€ in debt with them for this change that happened. I'm really angry about this but the guy on the phone said there was nothing they could do and until I close the account they were going to keep charging me. I plan to close it on Wednesday when I get paid but I'm really pissed off about this charge that I'm going to have to pay.

Is there anything I can do about it or should I just suck it up and pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Of course there is something you can do.

If there has honestly been no transactions on the account you have a case to have the account closed off and the debt not paid.

Contact the branch and ask to speak to the SQA, service quality advisor. Tell them the story and inform them of what you would like done about it. Make sure you tell them you are making a complaint. They will follow the internal complaints procedure and get back to you with a response. In the event they still insist you pay the debt ask for a final response and then refer it to the ombudsman.

Of course the alternative is to suck it up and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Thanks very much for that! I REALLY don't want to have to pay it and will make sure I don't have to for an account never even used! 80€ is way too steep.

Advertisement