Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre 1901 information

• 28-10-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I have traced back to my great great grandfather and I have found him in the 1901 census at 89 years of age. While a fantastic age, all his children have moved out and I am unable to find their names except my great grandfather who was still living in the house at 35, I am assuming he was the youngest.

My question is would anybody have any idea how to find what children may have lived in the house when they were young so I can get the siblings names of my great grandfather. He is living at the same address in the griffiths valuations in mayo and I am aware of the Landlords name too. Is there any information out there relating to the landlords that may indicate who lived on their land. Unfortunately I think all my great grandfathers siblings were born before the general registers started.

Anybody know the best way to find names/births etc before the registers started. Are parish church records the way forward?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some, extremely few, estates may have had details of all residents but its a long shot. You'd need to see if the NLI has the estate papers or if they've ended up in a local library/history centre or similar. If they don't have names you might get a number of residents and at least prevent you going down the wrong path.

Parish registers are basically the only way to get birth info from before 1864 for ordinary people. Newspapers etc can turn up stuff for those with more money. The Irish Times genealogy website has a fairly accurate list of what parish records are available and where. There's no guarantee that there will be records though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would try parish records first. As you know where the family lived, there shouldn't be more than a couple of possible churches.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement