Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing!

Options
  • 28-10-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this. Strange question but any advice welcome! I am getting married soon and want to try for kids in the next year or so as time is of the essence!. I want to breastfeed but I have a nipple piercing. I don't want to breastfeed with one boob only! I have looked into it and some people breast feed with the jewellery in but it is not something I would risk , the ball call fall off. I would prefer to take it out and let it close up. I thought discovering you are pregnant would give enough time but recently I read it can take a year and a half to close up, but the holes don't make much of difference (baby covers them). Has anyone experience with this? I was wondering should I bit the bullet and just get rid of it soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Going unreg for this. Strange question but any advice welcome! I am getting married soon and want to try for kids in the next year or so as time is of the essence!. I want to breastfeed but I have a nipple piercing. I don't want to breastfeed with one boob only! I have looked into it and some people breast feed with the jewellery in but it is not something I would risk , the ball call fall off. I would prefer to take it out and let it close up. I thought discovering you are pregnant would give enough time but recently I read it can take a year and a half to close up, but the holes don't make much of difference (baby covers them). Has anyone experience with this? I was wondering should I bit the bullet and just get rid of it soon?

Hiya! Was searching for something else and saw your post. I am breastfeeding a. 10 month old and only took out my nipple piercing when I got pregnant. Sometimes milk comes out the holes lol but it's nothing to worry about. It hasnt affected breastfeeding my baby in anyway. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

You won't get to breastfeed on one side only anyway! You need to swap baby over to each breast in every feed. I would hay if you are thinking of getting rid of it anyway do it now. After the birth and when you've finished breastfeeding you can always consider putting it back in

Good luck with the wedding and TTC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Would this not be more appropriate in the for the newborn and toddler area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I have a friend who took hers out when she found out she was pregnant. She didn't have any problem breastfeeding.
    Also it's totally possible to successfully exclusively breastfeed from one side, women at a la leche meet up I went to did it as she had surgery on other breast which meant she could not bf from that side. She breastfed her baby will he was 3 and never needed to top up with formula :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

sari wrote: »
    I have a friend who took hers out when she found out she was pregnant. She didn't have any problem breastfeeding.
    Also it's totally possible to successfully exclusively breastfeed from one side, women at a la leche meet up I went to did it as she had surgery on other breast which meant she could not bf from that side. She breastfed her baby will he was 3 and never needed to top up with formula :)

Agree with this! It's 100% possible to breastfeed from one side only!
    But a nipple piercing won't usually affect Breastfeeding. I wouldn't nurse with the jewellery in either, but I wouldn't worry too much about the piercing being open!
    Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

It is possible but not recommended to feed from one side only. Well at least that's what the breastfeeding midwife told us! It's not so much for the baby that it is not recommended but most the mammy.

Advertisement