Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel d1000, no airprint/firmware update?

Options
  • 29-10-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

We've a zyxel d1000 router (new enough), I recently bought my mother an ipad and airprint compatible hp 3520 printer, apple devices can't detect the printer for airprint over the network, I've been googling the issue and it appears to be a firmware/settings issue with the router, I've seen loads of similar post/questions on the eircom support forums, has there been a fix or resolution to this that I can't find? It would appear that communication with bonjour has been disabled on eircom zyxel routers, is there any solution to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Use one of the Apple wireless devices instead ? you could hook your speakers up to it too ?

http://www.apple.com/ie/airport-express/

http://www.apple.com/ie/airport-extreme/

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

gctest50 wrote: »
    Use one of the Apple wireless devices instead ? you could hook your speakers up to it too ?

We'll that'd be plan B, plan A would be that eircom didn't disable printing from one of the largest hardware providers in the world, on their newest router for non-fiber customers, thus forcing them to spend a not insignificant sum to work around what would appear to require a simple software fix? I mean, we payed for the router, they didn't deem it important to inform us at the time that apple products were gimped on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

oodles19 wrote: »

We'll that'd be plan B, plan A would be that eircom didn't disable printing from one of the largest hardware providers in the world, on their newest router for non-fiber customers, thus forcing them to spend a not insignificant sum to work around what would appear to require a simple software fix? I mean, we payed for the router, they didn't deem it important to inform us at the time that apple products were gimped on it...

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi oodles19

[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]There is a possible 'fix' for Apple issues on the Zyxel on our website, please follow this link - http://bit.ly/16GN5JQs.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]This apple tv fix is aimed to try and reduce the connection issues with apple products over the Zyxel modem however this might not help with airprint issues but it's worth a go.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]This is the best advice I can give on this issue and if this does not help please contact eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

Hi oodles19

There is a possible 'fix' for Apple issues on the Zyxel on our website, please follow this link - http://bit.ly/16GN5JQs.

This apple tv fix is aimed to try and reduce the connection issues with apple products over the Zyxel modem however this might not help with airprint issues but it's worth a go.

This is the best advice I can give on this issue and if this does not help please contact eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al

Al
    The link you posted is expired, I rang eircom support and the person I was talking to said that there was no issue with zyxel routers and bonjour/airprint, I'm not sure if he wasn't aware of the issue, the mere existence of a 'fix' (even an unaccessable one), along with a simple googling of any combination of 'eircom', 'airprint' and 'zyxel' (which will show dozens of threads and posts asking for a solution) would seem to inicate otherwise. I don't know, its very frustrating, I've spent hours looking for a straight answer and can't seem to get one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi oodles19

There is a possible 'fix' for Apple issues on the Zyxel on our website, please follow this link - http://bit.ly/16GN5JQs.

This apple tv fix is aimed to try and reduce the connection issues with apple products over the Zyxel modem however this might not help with airprint issues but it's worth a go.

This is the best advice I can give on this issue and if this does not help please contact eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al

Al
    The link you posted is expired, I rang eircom support and the person I was talking to said that there was no issue with zyxel routers and bonjour/airprint, I'm not sure if he wasn't aware of the issue, the mere existence of a 'fix' (even an unaccessable one), along with a simple googling of any combination of 'eircom', 'airprint' and 'zyxel' (which will show dozens of threads and posts asking for a solution) would seem to inicate otherwise. I don't know, its very frustrating, I've spent hours looking for a straight answer and can't seem to get one...

Hi oodles19

The firmware update was a work around for apple issue on the zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3

I appriciate that it is frustrating when you can not set up all the devices on the eircom wifi, unfortunately we can only provided limit support to third party devices that may conflict with the recommended eircom settings.

However the following may help.

You may have to reinstall the Apple TV - Homesharing patch again after resetting the modem.
    A hard reset  won't actually remove any of the firmware updates, though it would remove the Apple fix.

Resetting the eircom Modem

Obviously you may need to consult with the manufacturer (HP - Support) when setting up any third party device like a wireless printer.  In some cases the wireless encryption, or wireless adaptor on the printer, may require specific settings. I've seen a few cases where a wireless printer will only connect to a modem over Wep encryption and it won't connect if the modem is setup on Wpa encryption.  There may be some reasons for this and you may need to consult with manufacturer's support department (see below).

HP (Hewlett-Packard) 1890 923 902 (local) -  www.hp.com/support

Changing Wireless Encryption from Wep to Wpa on the eircom Modem - www.eircom.net/tutorials

Sorry we could not do more from here.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Same problem getting a HP wireless printer working over Bonjour

Any update to this issue?

Griffinx wrote: »
    Same problem getting a HP wireless printer working over Bonjour

Any update to this issue?
    Hi Griffinx

Would you like to PM me your landline number to check? I can run a test on your modem to check if the firmware is up to date.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dubnozzle

Confirmed with Eircom technical support that there is no fix for the Eircom / Zyxel D1000 modem and Airplay / Bonjour. This means that you cannot print from an iphone or ipad with Eircom broadband. The only solution is to purchase a different modem.  Very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

dubnozzle wrote: »
    Confirmed with Eircom technical support that there is no fix for the Eircom / Zyxel D1000 modem and Airplay / Bonjour. This means that you cannot print from an iphone or ipad with Eircom broadband. The only solution is to purchase a different modem.  Very poor.
    Hi dubnozzle
    We have passed this information to our broadband development team. Sorry we do not have an immediate fix for this issue.
    Tony

Hi dubnozzle
    We have passed this information to our broadband development team. Sorry we do not have an immediate fix for this issue.
    Tony

Any update on this?

• Advertisement

dubnozzle wrote: »
    Hi dubnozzle
    Tony

Any update on this?
    Hi dubnozzle

I'm sorry to confirm that we do not have an immediate fix to this but if you would like to contact technical support they might be able to offer further clarification.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Multicast is screwed up on all Zyxel routers provided by Eircom. Just ask any Chromecast owner.

Eircom Technical Support already clarified it for me - there is no fix for the Eircom / Zyxel D1000 modem and Airplay / Bonjour. This means that you cannot print from an iphone or ipad with Eircom broadband. Eircom have no current plans to address this - I was told by Tech Support to purchase a different modem.

Most people working in Tech Support will admit that this is a known issue, unless you get a new hire answering the phone. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Great... so assuming you can find one that does VDSL, what happens when you have any other issue...? Not supported is what.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MarsCur

gerryk wrote: »
    Multicast is screwed up on all Zyxel routers provided by Eircom. Just ask any Chromecast owner.
    Hi...are you saying Chromecast will not work at all with the Zyxel d1000  ? or is there a workaround..other than buying a different router ?

Hi,
    Anyone out there using Chromecast successfully with Eircom's Zyxel d1000 router ????

Hi all

I can confirm a firmware upgrade aimed at resolving the airplay issues is currently being worked on and I'm hopeful to have news on a release date in the next few days.

Thanks
    Al

Hi all

I can confirm a firmware upgrade aimed at resolving the airplay issues is currently being worked on and I'm hopeful to have news on a release date in the next few days.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al...hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.

MarsCur wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al...hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.
    No worries MarsCur

I'll post to this thread as soon as it's released.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Anyone got a working solution for this? Has an updated firmware update been released yet??

• Advertisement

s_gr wrote: »
    Anyone got a working solution for this? Has an updated firmware update been released yet??
    Hi s_gr

Our technical support team on 1890260260 will be able to help you with your airprint issues.

Thanks
    Al

Well they haven't been able to.....hence im on the internet trying to get solution and judging by this thread other people are having similar issues....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 driversk

works just fine, turn off IGMP snooping on modem and it should do the trick

driversk wrote: »
    I tried that and once router is rebooted connectivity is lost and i checked and IGMP snooping is still switched off. These routers seem to be very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 18 driversk

s_gr wrote: »
    driversk wrote: »
    I tried that and once router is rebooted connectivity is lost and i checked and IGMP snooping is still switched off. These routers seem to be very poor
    They are not great, but you cant really expect much from a free modem ;). They do whats expected of a free modem.
    I got mine working with airprint when IGMP is disabled, should have no effect no your BB connection as its not essential for DSL connectivity

Advertisement