Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers perspective on Griffith College

Options
  • 29-10-2013 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    Just looking for an Employers perspective on a Griffith College Bachelor's degree?
    Will my CV be even looked at if you have candidates with Trinity or UCD degrees?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It depends on the degree, the employer and what else you have to offer. I can give you some pretty in depth info on Law but I'm wasting your time if that's not the subject you're looking at.

Regardless of your degree, the more extracurricular you have on your CV the better.

To be 100% technically correct GCD don't award bachelors degrees, HETAC (whatever they're called now) does with accreditation from another university. Nottingham Trent in the case of a GCD LL.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 my_self

Hi, thanks for your help. No I am currently undertaking the Computer Science Hons degree. Do you know if it is also accredited by Nottingham Trent? Nottingham Trent is a University (had a quick Google) that has to look good? Also, how does a HETAC degree stand up abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It'll be treated as any other degree.

IT is about experience. If you cannot show you have IT experience (includes side projects) and genuinely have an interest in IT, you will be less employable. The degree is important for HR drones and does prove you can stick to something, but it is lower on the list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

HETAC and FETAC is part of a European recognition system.

When I was in school I was under the impression the location of your degree was really important. Having been in the real world I realise it doesn't make much difference at all.

It may have an impact on some graduate programs but even at that I don't think it does. The college differences are more down to college facilities rather than better information and learning.

I wouldn't think much of any employer who looked down on the location of education or thought higher of another.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 my_self

OK thanks for your help, good to hear. So, for IT experience/side projects anyone have any suggestions. I have a github account, with a few side projects anything else I should do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement