Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good first pet bird?

• 29-10-2013 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get a pet bird, in the future I'd like to own a macaw, galah, African grey parrot and a good few other expensive advanced species, but obviously it is not wise to purchase a macaw as my first bird. I'd like a bird that will enjoy handling, rather than one that would just tolerate it, I'd like a bird that will do playful stuff and that I can train to come back to me when I want it to. I like cockatiels, and I've been considering getting one of them, I can pay attention to it every day for at least an hour, and I had one as a young kid(though, I fed it and watered it and handled it like once, so I don't really have experience) and I really liked it and I like the look of them. Or is there any other species of bird that's not going to cost me too much and take up too much space that would fit what I want better than a cockatiel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'd like to get a pet bird, in the future I'd like to own a macaw, galah, African grey parrot and a good few other expensive advanced species, but obviously it is not wise to purchase a macaw as my first bird. I'd like a bird that will enjoy handling, rather than one that would just tolerate it, I'd like a bird that will do playful stuff and that I can train to come back to me when I want it to. I like cockatiels, and I've been considering getting one of them, I can pay attention to it every day for at least an hour, and I had one as a young kid(though, I fed it and watered it and handled it like once, so I don't really have experience) and I really liked it and I like the look of them. Or is there any other species of bird that's not going to cost me too much and take up too much space that would fit what I want better than a cockatiel?

Birds are very sociable and would quickly develop behaviour problems if only getting an hour of attention a day.

Budgies & Parrotlets would be another option to look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would definitely try and get your hands on a hand-reared budgie! They make fantastic pets, even more so if they have been handled young and are used to people. I had two as a kid and I still hold the memory very dear. They were allowed out of the cage most of the evening, loved cuddles and attention, and had a few choice phrases that always made us laugh.

I still have a tape of Tweety (Yes, I know, very original :rolleyes: ) rubbing his head against my mother's chin and chiming "Mammy's boy"

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

Given a choice, I would pick a Cockatiel, they are very easy to tame, or you could buy a hand reared one. A budgie would be my second option..Both make good pets. and their chirping is not that irritating.

I would avoid birds like Ringnecks. I had a one years ago, and the noise from him was unreal :-/

The noise factor to take into consideration later on, if your thinking about Macaws or any of the larger parrots

I think your choice of Cockatiel is the best. Get a hand reared one, it will cost a bit more, but it was saved you time in taming a parent reared bird.
    He will be bonded to humans from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I'd recommend a cockatiel. I don't think they all talk but mine has picked up a good few sayings including the mobile phone ringtones. Definitely never let it hear a squeaky toy or it can learn to repeat that :eek: Mine won't eat fruit at all but does like to chew on a whitethorn branch and loves stripping the leaves off. If you get a young one it should be easy to hand train it. Lots of tips on training on the web. Very sociable and smart birds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 atourdeforce

Hi,

My first pet bird is Holly my african grey. I got her for practically nothing from some guy who said at the time (march 2013) was unsociable and aggressive. When i went to see her she was living in a locked cockatiel cage and eating these awful black seeds and she was filthy!! I brought her home, bought her a massive macaw cage and had her wings clipped. I have never once had to close or lock the cage door. I also give her pellet food. Well besides a couple of trips to the vet in bray because she was having seizures due to her lack in nutritionalvintake from the previous owner particularly calcium she has been nothing but a joy to my life. She is so friendly has never bitten or attempted to bite, she likes sitting on my shoulder and i bring her out for walks with a leash i got for her on my shoulder. She is a chatterbox too Her new thing is to sing Adele's song, someone like you at 3am which she must of picked up off the tv.

If you ask me and i had no previous experience with birds, go for a grey as they are the best pets ever. I have and had cats, dogs etc but nothing tops holly. They are the best pet. I do encourage you however to try find a rescue one or the likes because some parrots can be bad behaved but this is mainly due to poor ownership and locking them in cages. Treat them how you would like to be treated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I actually don't agree that African Grey's make great first birds. An awful lot of them end up on Donedeal when the new owners realise just how much work they are. They need company all day or they are prone to behavior problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I decided to go for a hand reared parrotlet based them being quieter than some of the larger birds but still having playful personalities. That said they can still be extremely noisy on and off during the day.
    A hand reared bird is best imo for a first timer - I have both and would only ever go for hand reared one in the future. There is a world of difference in the two birds I have personality wise, with one wanting to be watching every thing you do while the other could take human interaction or leave it. As a pet you can play with them, one will chase a ball for me and will fly to where ever I throw it or will go to sleep sitting on your arm. btw everything I read up at the time advised avoiding african greys for a novice, cockatiels or conures seems to be the two most recommended to start with.

Advertisement