Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational activities for 1 year old?

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

We don't really do any educational activities with our 1 year old apart from reading. He does a lot of different things in the crèche but I'd like to do some more.

With Christmas approaching our baby has a lot of generous uncles and aunts so we'd like to get educational gifts this year.

What would you recommend? Any links to particular products would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You could try an android tablet or an Ipad, hours of fun from them, just get a good quality gel case for it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Books books books.

Join the library or get lots and lots of books. It's amazing how much they pick up from you reading to them. Spoken vocabulary, written words. They are little sponges for that kind of thing.

If you have another language yourself, you can get some books in that language as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Totally agree wi Pwurple here. Can never have enough books. Our LO loves the lift the flap books aswell (hardly any flaps left now tho!). He loves jigsaws aswell. The ones with the big wooden pieces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Baking with them,duplo,play doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just interacting with them and using a wide range of vocabulary works wonders.
    I think we can sometimes bombard children with 'educational' stuff when at a year old every type of play is educational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Definitely books. It's the best gift you can give a child of any age.

When our son was one he loved an usborne hard book which had buttons at the side and each button was for a specific page. He still takes it out and plays with it at 2.5yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Definitely books. It's the best gift you can give a child of any age.

When our son was one he loved an usborne hard book which had buttons at the side and each button was for a specific page. He still takes it out and plays with it at 2.5yrs

How long per day would you spend reading with him? He is down in the crèche so gets to play with play dough etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How long per day would you spend reading with him?

1/2 hour at bedtime.
    We do a story before dinnertime (whoever is not cooking does this one to give a few mins for dinner prep)
    Story in the afternoon at around 3-ish to wind down from running around before a snack at my mums house.

I think they do stories in creche as well in the morning most days.

They only have an attention span of about 15 mins at that age, so it's quick and often for the books. Don't be getting Ulysess out yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As a baby we'd just read a bedtime story but now that he's 2.5 we could read stories at different times during the day as well as the bedtime one. He doesn't have a big interest in cars etc but he loves books.

I find play dough, painting etc good things to do with a toddler but I'm not sure how great it would be with a 1 yr old. Surely they'd just eat everything.

Advertisement