Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney disease in cats. Acute or Chronic: what differences?

• 29-10-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I have a doubt about this didease and I hope some of you can help me clear it.
    Given a cat diagnosed with kidney disease, how could we tell if it's a acute or chronic form of the disease?
    I think that a typical blood test will show altered value of creatinine, azotemia, phosphorus, etc in both cases.
    And I think that in both cases the cat will have less appetite, nausea, an increased thirst and urinate much more.
    So how can we say that we have to deal with a cat with an acute disease or a cat with a chronic disease?
    How can a vet tell the cat's owner that the cat will recover or that the cat is "doomed"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well with my cat he was put on a drip and given medication for 2 days and bloods done again - saldy they were worse than the first lot of bloods so we knew he wasn't going to recover or get to a manageable stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

TK123, I'm sorry for your cat :(
    Were two days enough to tell that nothing else could be done?

My doubt is because my cat was diagnosed with CKD several years ago. I've treating her with hypodermoclyses, renal food and Fortekor for years. All the values were always under control.
    Then she had to undergo a heavy therapy in a clinic for a different problem and the vets at the clinic gave her fluids in veins for days, and when she eventually came back home all the alterated values for her kidney disease were totally restored to normal values.
    After two years she's alright, we're still treating her for her kidney disease, though with less urgency.

So, I wonder if the disease was actually acute rather than chronical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TK123, I'm sorry for your cat :(
    Were two days enough to tell that nothing else could be done?

It was too advanced by the time they caught it so too late for him. We brought him in on a Thursday and he was gone on the Monday - I coudn't let him suffer :( I had been in hospital and was sent flowers from work that had lillies - this may or may not have caused the problem but when the vet examined him he had one tiny kidney and one huge so it may have been a problem he had all along that was undected.

Thats great news about your cat is doing so well! Hopefully you'll have many more years together!

Advertisement