Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the most hated team in Ireland?

• 29-10-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Two questions really. Firstly, who is the most hated team IN Ireland?

And second, who is the most hated team overall?

Just curious as to people's train of thought on both fronts. From a personal point of view and then also from who you reckon the general public don't like.

In Ireland- I'm gonna go with Shamrock Rovers. Any fans of other clubs seem to have a dislike for the Hoops. Whether its a jealously thing or a hangover from their troublesome nomadic years and reputation, I'm not sure.

Overall- Would it be Manchester United? I know they have massive support over here but also they seem to have as many detractors. The whole ABU thing would show this to be true also.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I give this 15-20 posts before someone is either a) warned/infracted b) gets the thread closed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Would United be "hated" more than rangers?

Also, I dont think I hate any team but theres a few I dislike alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I give this 15-20 posts before someone is either a) warned/infracted b) gets the thread closed.

So Chelsea then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'd say United, but I think it comes with the territory of being the biggest club in England, a bit like Juve in Italy, Real in Spain,...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

In Ireland, as in the whole island? Linfield and the NI international team would be up there.
    Overall Rangers and the EPL super powers innit. Although the top EPL teams are probably loved in equal measure depending on who you support.

Omackeral wrote: »
    So Chelsea then?!

People are allowed an opinion once it doesnt turn into abuse and name calling but it will down the line given the nature if these threds people will feel like trying to stick the boot in.

The majority will go between, Barca, Real, Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Rovers defo in Ireland, prob city these days in England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Rovers from LOI, couldn't care less which foreign team is most hated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hammers at the ready like a crap Thor convention. :D

• Advertisement

I also think its fairly pointless without a poll but Utd and Liverpool would be 1st and 2nd given the support both have on the Soccer Forum and in Ireland in general.

I also think its fairly pointless without a poll but Utd and Liverpool would be 1st and 2nd given the support both have on the Soccer Forum and in Ireland in general.

I had two questions so couldn't really make a poll I don't think. Also, it's more the reasons I'm interested in rather than cold stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Traditional big clubs are always hated by there rivals and traditionally Rovers were the biggest club in the country so they are universally hated by most older fans. Bohs were also universally hated for a while when they were good as were Shels during their successful period. Sustained success equals hatred from your rivals.

As for most hated club overall, anybody that hates a foreign club that they have no connection to is a bit daft.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bit of a silly thread, but the 2 in the OP are definitely mine anyhow, but that's hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Most hated teams for me? Schalke and Bayern *pukes*

In Ireland? Everyone who hates Shels ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »

In Ireland? Everyone who hates Shels ;)

So just Cork then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Would United be "hated" more than rangers?

I think the hatred for Rangers has died down in recent years. I know since going down to Division 3, they're probably seen as less relevant but even for the couple of years before that I think the levels of hatred had declined. I say this as a Rangers fan who has lived in Dublin my whole life. I used to get some serious dog's abuse, and not in a 'friendly banter' sort of way. Now I think people don't really care as much. In fact, I think by the time the next generation of fans comes along people really won't give a fcuk about hating Rangers. Obviously there'll still be an element but not to the extent of times gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

In Ireland probably Shamrock Rovers as stated above, but I don't know enough about LOI to give a proper opinion.

Overall, probably Man Utd, Liverpool or Rangers though the first two would have as many fans as 'haters' (hate that word), so it would be Rangers in terms of like : hate ratio, but United or Liverpool (probably Utd in recent years) in numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Normally the Best supported clubs in any country are also the most hated by all other club supporters IMO

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Spurs. I dislike them all equally.

• Advertisement

I never knew Liverpool, Utd, Rangers and Chelsea were in Ireland!

Most hated team, no idea. I'll take a stab at Shamrock Rovers?

Omackeral wrote: »
    So just Cork then?

There is some lads from Inchicore who don't like us either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we're measuring it by something like 'which brings the most people to the soccer forum to give out about them' then it's the national team.

gosplan wrote: »
    If we're measuring it by something like 'which brings the most people to the soccer forum to give out about them' then it's the national team.

Which is sort of understandable, a national team is supposed to represent the nation, whereas a club only represents only a fraction of it...well, just imagine, everyone would support St.Patricks now, just because they won the title ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In Ireland, it is Rovers. On this forum (internationally), Barcelona/Spain seems to be the dislike that unites the world.

Personally, I prefer Rovers to beat Pats over anyone else. Internationally, I'd pick Bayern Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I would say Dundalk always hated there fans and secondly Northern Ireland for political reasons :)

dfx- wrote: »
    In Ireland, it is Rovers. On this forum (internationally), Barcelona/Spain seems to be the dislike that unites the world.

Personally, I prefer Rovers to beat Pats over anyone else. Internationally, I'd pick Bayern Munich.

Good man yourself :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

UCD

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

UCD
    We were talking about them a while ago. Since we don't really have a proper rival we were going to start a rivalry with UCD for the laugh. Like get all our supporters to just decide not to like them for no reason at all.

It never got off the ground though. Some day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would say Rovers followed by us (Shels) Cork, Derry, Pats, Limerick fans alike seem to have a groupwank over any fate that befalls us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shamrock Rovers 100%

Dislike Man U and Spurs in England and Use to dislike Rangers, not too pushed on Sevco either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Shamrock Rovers in the LOI. Even people who have only passing interest in the LOI that I talked to disliked them. Would also say that Shelbourne would be high up on the list. I dont like Dundalk myself but I doubt thats shared by most people.

Overall I would say either United or Pool. Dont think people care enough about the SPL anymore for it to be Rangers. Celtics main press in Ireland has come from the CL recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

As a United fan I gotta say us, there are more Liverpool fans in Ireland and with Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds and others its a no brainer.

CSF wrote: »
    I would say Rovers followed by us (Shels) Cork, Derry, Pats, Limerick fans alike seem to have a groupwank over any fate that befalls us.

I thought, Derry weren't that bad...at least the guys, I met in Tolka were decent enough, they had a German flag, saying 'Antifascist Action'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is some lads from Inchicore who don't like us either ;)

And at least one who currently lives in Limerick :p

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    And at least one who currently lives in Limerick :p

We don't mention any names, do we? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Jarrod wrote: »
    I think the hatred for Rangers has died down in recent years. I know since going down to Division 3, they're probably seen as less relevant but even for the couple of years before that I think the levels of hatred had declined.
    The level of hatred declined during the time their fans were sending bullets and bombs to Irish Catholics and when decades of foul play was finally being touched on by the mainstream media? Not saying you're wrong but it's certainly surprising.

I've actually heard more bitterness toward Celtic in Ireland. A lot from LOI fans who, perhaps rightly, feel aggrieved at 'losing' fans to them. You also get the self righteous political types that want to be seen as having "moved on" and so make sure they can be seen hating anything remotely Republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Jarrod wrote: »
    I think the hatred for Rangers has died down in recent years. I know since going down to Division 3, they're probably seen as less relevant but even for the couple of years before that I think the levels of hatred had declined. I say this as a Rangers fan who has lived in Dublin my whole life. I used to get some serious dog's abuse, and not in a 'friendly banter' sort of way. Now I think people don't really care as much. In fact, I think by the time the next generation of fans comes along people really won't give a fcuk about hating Rangers. Obviously there'll still be an element but not to the extent of times gone by.

Spot on.

Even before playing in Div 3 it was noticeable that as a Rangers fan you could just walk around in Dublin with a Rangers jersey on (not that I tried too much ;) ) without much hassle.

I'd say most decent Irish people don't feel the need to get involved into the whole Rangers - Celtic thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Has to be Shamrock Rovers. Some of it is due to jealousy of their past exploits I admit but some is due to their fans - not the nicest.

Re Scottish clubs dont think many people dislike Celtic or take any interest in Scottish football at all as it seems to have virtually zero influence on the Irish public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Northern Ireland for me. I have developed a serious hatred for them in past few years in particular.

Dont really think I can say I hate a club in Ireland. I would always shout for Irish Club in Europe no matter who it is. Rovers, Bohs or Shels does not matter. Dont love them or anything, but dont hate them.

Bohs would be my most disliked team though. Mainly due to what I witnessed at a friendly game few years ago, but again its only put them at the top of the dislike chart more than a hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I would make 1000 new accounts just to make sure Burnley topped the poll!

RTID!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I thought, Derry weren't that bad...at least the guys, I met in Tolka were decent enough, they had a German flag, saying 'Antifascist Action'.

ANTIFA!

For me, in no particular order;
    Northern Ireland
    Linfield
    Drogheda
    Bohs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Cant say much about Ireland as Ive not seen much games, but in Galway scene Salthill Devon arent liked.
    In international scene its probably Barca due to all the sheep fans jumping on board and players like Busquets playing for them
    For me personally I have to say Liverpool, the fans have a superiority complex thats infuriating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Antifa161 wrote: »
    The level of hatred declined during the time their fans were sending bullets and bombs to Irish Catholics and when decades of foul play was finally being touched on by the mainstream media? Not saying you're wrong but it's certainly surprising.

I've actually heard more bitterness toward Celtic in Ireland. A lot from LOI fans who, perhaps rightly, feel aggrieved at 'losing' fans to them. You also get the self righteous political types that want to be seen as having "moved on" and so make sure they can be seen hating anything remotely Republican.

Yeah, it's definitely declined, I'd estimate in the last 5-6 years maybe. I think the fact that the SPL and LOI seem to have come closer in standard might have something to do with it. Maybe people here don't care as much about the SPL but as someone who makes no secret of being a Rangers fan in Dublin I can tell you I don't get the same level of bile spewed at me that I used to.

I agree with your second point, a lot of Irish people seem to have a hatred for Celtic, probably for the reasons you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Shams for me in ireland. No question

and as a previous poster said... Its not for the titles they've won, its for a less than savoury element of their club... I was never so scared one night and we were the home team!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Overall the team Irish people hate the most is the England team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Plenty of negative comments of you mention you support Celtic too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

It must be a sore one for the anti-Celtic lot considering all you ever hear at Ireland or domestic games is songs copied from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Antifa161 wrote: »
    It must be a sore one for the anti-Celtic lot considering all you ever hear at Ireland or domestic games is songs copied from them.

Good one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Shamrock Rovers definitely.
    As a national team, Norn Iron, but lots of people (including me) still really enjoy seeing England go out of big tournaments.
    Most hated club is either liverpool or man-u. Whichever has the smaller amount of fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement