Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the most hated team in Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

SantryRed wrote: »
    Good one :pac:

Has a point Derry, Dundalk, Rovers all sing "Celtic Songs" regularly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Most people in Ireland who 'hate' Rangers probably only hate them because they think they're supposed to, and wouldn't actually be able to pick one of the near infinite number of reasons that they might.

So it probably is Liverpool or Man Utd, but then how seriously do you think somebody from Limerick hates Liverpool? What they really mean is they don't like listening to the stick from their mates when Utd lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd "hate" (more dislike, really) City and Chelsea far more than Utd. I just find their current existence very distasteful. Also love seeing Pool screw up, coming from a household of their supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Overall the team Irish people hate the most is the England team

I wouldn't go as far to say that we hate the English team, there's a genuine interest in them as far as seeing how EPL stars like Gerrard and Rooney manage against Spain, Germany etc, there's more a sort of schadenfreude at seeing them fall flat on their faces after another media hypefest.

You'd be surprised at the lack of interest most English have for their national team, their fanbase is largely drawn from lower and non league clubs, a typical WBA fan would take staying in the Prem for 10 years over England winning something.

I'd say the most disliked club side here is SRFC, than Man Utd as there's so many Liverpool fans here, while unpopular I don't think Rangers are important enough to be really hated outside the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

For the non-Irish team I would say it is between United and Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

In England?

Birmingham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Northern Ireland for me. I have developed a serious hatred for them in past few years in particular.

I have to agree with this. I despise them with a burning passion, even more than Shams. Never cheered as much when Luxembourg beat them 3-2 recently.

I'll never forget the way them carried themselves in Windsor Park in '93. Bingham was a disgrace that night stoking up the crowd and it had nothing to do with football. Im all for creating an intimidating atmosphere but that was pure venomous hatred and you could feel it.

I hate them.

Love seeing the players celebrating on the pitch at the end of this clip. Sickened the little bitter bigots.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp9Bt18Rvv4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im gonna go for this one, the most hated team in Ireland? Linfield if it includes the North, in LOI I would say Rovers, my own personal one was always Pats though

On a more personal note, I don't hate Celtic or Rangers, but I ****ing hate Celtic fans who try to tell me Celtic is an "irish" team, it is in my **** like, get a life.

By far the group I hate most in Ireland are idiot Celtic fans*

*This does not mean I think every Celtic fan is an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

My personal hatred are Liverpool fans who all of a sudden "support" Barca, pretty much since Messi became God, I actually think I only know 1 genuine Barca fan the rest all support Liverpool in the morning and Barca in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

My personal hatred are Liverpool fans who all of a sudden "support" Barca, pretty much since Messi became God, I actually think I only know 1 genuine Barca fan the rest all support Liverpool in the morning and Barca in the evening.

What is wrong with this. Lads with no connection to a team in England supporting a team in Spain they also have no connection to.

doncarlos wrote: »
    What is wrong with this. Lads with no connection to a team in England supporting a team in Spain they also have no connection to.

Whats wrong is they jumped on the bandwagon as I mentioned in my post :rolleyes:

Antifa161 wrote: »
    It must be a sore one for the anti-Celtic lot considering all you ever hear at Ireland or domestic games is songs copied from them.

And haven't most of Celtic's songs come from elsewhere too?? 'The huddle' is a rip off of the Poznan. 'We love you' was taken from St Pauli

Not many football songs are original.

Whats wrong is they jumped on the bandwagon as I mentioned in my post :rolleyes:

And Liverpool fans didn't jump on the bandwagon in 80s early 90s, Man United fans in the 90s 00s and now a new wave of Chelsea Man City fans??

Its pretty clear what his problem with it is tbf

Also, just because a lad is from or lives in Ireland doesn't have to mean he has no connection to an English team, or a Spanish one for that matter

And Liverpool fans didn't jump on the bandwagon in 80s early 90s, Man United fans in the 90s 00s and now a new wave of Chelsea Man City fans??

Wouldn't have thought you would get too many bandwagon Liverpool fans from the early 90's :)

That wagon was heading south!

Of course you get band wagon fans, every single club has them. That is actually what his problem is with people suddenly deciding they "support" Barca etc

My own reasons for supporting my team are born from a personal connection with the club, I like plenty of other teams, enjoy watching them play and would like to see them do well as long as its not at the expense of my own club, but I wouldn't pretend I "support" them. I don't

Examples, I really like AC Milan, always have since Football Italia was on C4, I don't support them though

I used to like really dislike Madrid, Ronaldo plays for them now, and coupled with my dislike of Barca fans (again, not all, just the insufferable ones) I have warmed to them over the last couple of years, I do not support them

I like Hertha Berlin, Dortmund and a couple of other German teams, like German football in general in fact. Watch as much of it as I can. Couldn't claim to support one of the teams though

In most countries I could name teams and players I like and like to watch, but I am not a supporter of them when push comes to shove.

I support two teams, Waterford United and Manchester United. Both for personal reasons/connections and it doesn't matter how much disappointment (Waterford) or success (Manchester) the team has or brings me, I will be there, supporting them all the same.

• Advertisement

But where they all mid twenties guys all supporting a club? Also most of my Pool supporting mates started following them when they where not winning anything and followed them because of their father, hardly glory hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

But where they all mid twenties guys all supporting a club? Also most of my Pool supporting mates started following them when they where not winning anything and followed them because of their father, hardly glory hunting.

They've never seen them win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Using tragedies like Heysel, Hillsborough, Munich etc as some tool to point score or bait posters is not going to be allowed in this forum.

They are tragedies that are up for genuine discussion in dedicated threads, which has happened here in the past, but half assed "facts", sweeping generalisations, baiting and group attacks on individual posters will draw mod action.

A quick search of the forum will bring up discussions on each of the tragedies if people want to get more informations, and there are a lot of genuine sites online with very good reporting on what happened and the aftermaths.

The thread has been cleaned up and any attempt by anyone to derail the thread in a similar manner from here in will see bans follow. Am giving the benefit of the doubt this time and letting the warning sit here rather than going straight for cards.

Any discussion with me or any other mod on the topic can be had via PM

zerks wrote: »
    They've never seen them win the league.

Thats my point :confused: You can hardly call most pool fans under 30 glory hunters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thats my point :confused: You can hardly call most pool fans under 30 glory hunters.

True,most lads that age I know who support them have dads who follow the club,the UCL wins gathered a few fans also.

I dislike Chelsea but really have no tolerance for Liverpool.Every club has idiot fans but some of theirs are a step beyond.

Mate of mine despises Newcastle,he can't give a valid reason why but absolutely hates them.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    True,most lads that age I know who support them have dads who follow the club,the UCL wins gathered a few fans also.

I dislike Chelsea but really have no tolerance for Liverpool.Every club has idiot fans but some of theirs are a step beyond.

Mate of mine despises Newcastle,he can't give a valid reason why but absolutely hates them.

The shearer effect :pac: I dont mind Newcastle kinda feel they should be doing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Shels must be up there for the most hated club in Ireland ....

So your dad is the glory hunter then? Supporting a club just because your dad does is the same as the eejits that vote Fianna Fail/Fine Gael because their dad/granddad have.

Growing up, most of my mates supported Liverpool with a couple supporting Man United (mainly due to family allegiances) . Liverpool were the top dogs at the time so it was an easy choice. I'd say it was the same throughout every city, town and village in Ireland. When Man United started their domination, Man United fans seemed to be everywhere. I'd say the biggest supported British teams by Irish people would be
    Man United - Liverpool - Celtic - Arsenal - Leeds - Everton
    All of which have been relatively successful over the years. Where are all the Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, Norwich fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

With soccer teams, people often confuse hate with jealousy! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

kryogen wrote: »
    I support two teams, Waterford United and Manchester United. Both for personal reasons/connections and it doesn't matter how much disappointment (Waterford) or success (Manchester) the team has or brings me, I will be there, supporting them all the same.

You must have been quite torn when they met in the European Cup in 1967/8 ?

Where are all the Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, Norwich fans?

I don't think anyone will be able to account for all of them, but to help you out, the vast majority of Crystal Palace fans would generally be located in London, Sheffield United fans in Sheffield and Norwich fans in Norwich. :)

I don't think anyone will be able to account for all of them, but to help you out, the vast majority of Crystal Palace fans would generally be located in London, Sheffield United fans in Sheffield and Norwich fans in Norwich. :)

Exactly and by following on that logic, shouldn't the Man United fans be located in Manchester and Liverpool fans be located in Liverpool ;)

You must have been quite torn when they met in the European Cup in 1967/8 ?

Im sure I would have been had I been alive I suppose.

Tough choice there but I think I would be cheering on Waterford more, hometown club and all that.

Maybe they could both win :)

Exactly and by following on that logic, shouldn't the Man United fans be located in Manchester and Liverpool fans be located in Liverpool ;)

No, there are no restrictions put on peoples movements or residential status based on what club they support. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the English Premier League is broadcast and reported on throughout the world. Thus the teams in the Premier League have fans all over the world. The teams which have had the most success get the most coverage, thus they get most exposure throughout the world, thus more fans throughout the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It'd be Shamrock Rovers in Ireland, I'd reckon. I am biased, but I've never heard a good word about them from any other team. No idea about the EPL, I barely follow it.

• Advertisement

No, there are no restrictions put on peoples movements or residential status based on what club they support. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the English Premier League is broadcast and reported on throughout the world. Thus the teams in the Premier League have fans all over the world. The teams which have had the most success get the most coverage, thus they get most exposure throughout the world, thus more fans throughout the world.

That's my point exactly. The more successful a club the more fans it generates. The vast majority that support Man United or Liverpool either jumped on to the band wagon of a successful club or were following in the footsteps of somebody that has. That's the point I have been trying to get across since a poster had an issue with this;

That's my point exactly. The more successful a club the more fans it generates. The vast majority that support Man United or Liverpool either jumped on to the band wagon of a successful club or were following in the footsteps of somebody that has. That's the point I have been trying to get across since a poster had an issue with this;

It's human nature to want success. It's natural for young children, (even adults :pac: ) to admire the best players and the best clubs and dream of becoming like those players or joining those clubs.

Gloryhunters, jumping on the bandwagon, hate, it's all just terms used by indiduals who say they have issues with others, when really it's likely that they have issues or insecurities with themselves. It doesn't make sense to hate someone because of what football team they choose to support.

So your dad is the glory hunter then? Supporting a club just because your dad does is the same as the eejits that vote Fianna Fail/Fine Gael because their dad/granddad have.

Growing up, most of my mates supported Liverpool with a couple supporting Man United (mainly due to family allegiances) . Liverpool were the top dogs at the time so it was an easy choice. I'd say it was the same throughout every city, town and village in Ireland. When Man United started their domination, Man United fans seemed to be everywhere. I'd say the biggest supported British teams by Irish people would be
    Man United - Liverpool - Celtic - Arsenal - Leeds - Everton
    All of which have been relatively successful over the years. Where are all the Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, Norwich fans?

My father is a GAA man but hes a Dub too so not a glory hunter for them either ;), I dont think you can call a son of a fan a glory hunter tbh.

It's human nature to want success. It's natural for young children, (even adults :pac: ) to admire the best players and the best clubs and dream of becoming like those players or joining those clubs.

Gloryhunters, jumping on the bandwagon, hate, it's all just terms used by indiduals who say they have issues with others, when really it's likely that they have issues or insecurities with themselves. It doesn't make sense to hate someone because of what football team they choose to support.

I was in Old Trafford last season as a neutral in the Stretford end and thought it was quite amusing to hear a group of Irish lads in front of me singing "Kicking a blue". It's pretty pathetic to hate somebody due to geographical rivalries in a foreign country.

kryogen wrote: »
    On a more personal note, I don't hate Celtic or Rangers, but I ****ing hate Celtic fans who try to tell me Celtic is an "irish" team, it is in my **** like, get a life.

I've no intention of derailing this thread with an argument and you're perfectly entitled to your opinion here but to deny Celtic's Irish identity is stretching the truth a bit. Sure they're based outside of Ireland but so are a lot of things and people considered Irish. The Irish identity at Celtic is stronger than it is at any other club. If fans want to choose a club to celebrate their Irish identity then Celtic is as sensible a choice as any

Maybe you think that's a stupid way of choosing a team, maybe you're right, but it's certainly not a stupid choice to make based on that logic.

And haven't most of Celtic's songs come from elsewhere too?? 'The huddle' is a rip off of the Poznan.
    lol oh dear... do you genuinely think that? Sky Sports has a lot to answer for.
    'We love you' was taken from St Pauli
    Seems you missed the entire point of my post, as simple to understand as it was. I was pointing out the humour in LOI fans hating Celtic fans when they borrow most of their atmosphere from them. I think you'll find Celtic and St Pauli fans get along extremely well hence that chant making it's way over. Which by the way, found itself in almost every English and Irish ground a few years later as a result...

The poster had an issue with fans all aged 20+ suddenly supporting a team who cant stop winning, I also argued that they where not glory hunters in supporting Liverpool originally, so one guys supports Liverpool since he is 7 because of his dad but roll on 20 years later he suddenly starts singing Barca songs wearing the jersey and claiming hes a fan, thats my issue.

A child supporting lets say Man City because they won is ok with me because they dont really know any better, but a man in his 20s who has never cared about Barca suddenly supports them because they are the worlds best is just annoying beyond belief.

From my experience the Barca bandwagonners tend to just like watching them because they're so good. They watch them for entertainment, to see good football, not because of some emotional bond or anything. It's not like they go around boasting about how good their team is. It's the same way people would always watch Brazil, because they were a good sporting spectacle.

People always wore Barca tops as well, before the Messi era. Their current batch of cheaters aside they're a fairly likeable club - certainly more so than Madrid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From my experience the Barca bandwagonners tend to just like watching them because they're so good. They watch them for entertainment, to see good football, not because of some emotional bond or anything. It's not like they go around boasting about how good their team is. It's the same way people would always watch Brazil, because they were a good sporting spectacle.

Barcelona haven't always been like that.

Tell that to Barcelona fans from 1999-2003 when the club was largely a laughing stock and basket case under Joan Gaspart and a final day Rivaldo hattrick away from financial meltdown.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Barcelona haven't always been like that.

Tell that to Barcelona fans from 1999-2003 when the club was largely a laughing stock and basket case under Joan Gaspart and a final day Rivaldo hattrick away from financial meltdown.
    Hence why they've started watching them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

lol oh dear... do you genuinely think that? Sky Sports has a lot to answer for.

You're right, it's not from 'the Poznan', but from another thing performed by European teams for over a few decades :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The poster had an issue with fans all aged 20+ suddenly supporting a team who cant stop winning, I also argued that they where not glory hunters in supporting Liverpool originally, so one guys supports Liverpool since he is 7 because of his dad but roll on 20 years later he suddenly starts singing Barca songs wearing the jersey and claiming hes a fan, thats my issue.

A child supporting lets say Man City because they won is ok with me because they dont really know any better, but a man in his 20s who has never cared about Barca suddenly supports them because they are the worlds best is just annoying beyond belief.

I know several utd fans who suddenly started supporting or at least developing a big soft spot for Real Madrid when Ronaldo moved there so lets not pretend it's just certain Liverpool fans who do things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I never knew Liverpool, Utd, Rangers and Chelsea were in Ireland!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the title of the thread is "who is the most hated team in Ireland"?, not "who is the most hated Irish team?"

This actually made me laugh out loud.

Comparing supporting a football team (which is usually influenced when you are a child, and can be a good bonding experience), and voting for a political party (where you have to make a conscious decision who to vote for, as an adult, based on that parties ideals/manifesto/track record) is a massive load of bollocks.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    You're right, it's not from 'the Poznan', but from another thing performed by European teams for over a few decades :p
    You're thinking of the Grecque. But our huddle is taken from the pre-match huddle our players did since Tony Mowbray started it in the early 90s. But you knew that. There's a video of our fans doing it outside Ibrox about 8 years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Would have thought it was Shel's, when you consider the day they got relegated most groups of fans were singing in a celebratory fashion in some cases despite their teams losing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Shamrock Rovers or shels.

for me it'd be rovers in LOI circles just because the money success and arrogance they have. In english league i'd go united as I know very few people who are impartial to united people love them or hate them.

The Irish identity at Celtic is stronger than it is at any other club. If fans want to choose a club to celebrate their Irish identity then Celtic is as sensible a choice as any

Eh????? There are 19 senior clubs in Ireland that might beg to differ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I've no intention of derailing this thread with an argument and you're perfectly entitled to your opinion here but to deny Celtic's Irish identity is stretching the truth a bit. Sure they're based outside of Ireland but so are a lot of things and people considered Irish. The Irish identity at Celtic is stronger than it is at any other club. If fans want to choose a club to celebrate their Irish identity then Celtic is as sensible a choice as any

Maybe you think that's a stupid way of choosing a team, maybe you're right, but it's certainly not a stupid choice to make based on that logic.

You're forgetting the success part of that. You know the vast majority of celtic fans wouldn't have ever started supporting them if they weren't successful. You know what celtic would be if they weren't successful? Hibs

I really don't see how you can see the irony of somebody supporting a foreign club getting upset with somebody else supporting a different foreign club.
    Also if your dad supported Grimsby I'm sure you'd be following one of the big teams in the Premier league rather than following a rubbish team because of your dad.

You're thinking of the Grecque. But our huddle is taken from the pre-match huddle our players did since Tony Mowbray started it in the early 90s. But you knew that. There's a video of our fans doing it outside Ibrox about 8 years ago :)

I remember jumping up and down with our arms around each other shouting boing every time we jumped at a Dundalk match in the early 90s but I'm certainly not going to try and claim we invented the poznan

• Advertisement
Advertisement