Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the most hated team in Ireland?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

One poster playing a blinder here, proper lol worthy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

you must have been fuming when RTE had James Connolly in the running for Irelands greatest man a couple of years back, Edinburgh being in the Ireland like, hope you wrote them a strongly worded letter

Yes, things Rte do bother me all the time, well, cept when Im awake, you know, cause Rte just aren't that important in my life?

Where are you actually going with this? You are confused about where Edinburgh is? Hardly..............

St Patrick would have been better wouldn't it? Couldn't you have asked me does it upset me every Patricks day that our patron saint isn't even Irish?

Of course you miss the point entirely, sadly, Im not even sure you know that.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    One poster playing a blinder here, proper lol worthy stuff.

Just one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dfx- wrote: »
    Barcelona haven't always been like that.

Tell that to Barcelona fans from 1999-2003 when the club was largely a laughing stock and basket case under Joan Gaspart and a final day Rivaldo hattrick away from financial meltdown.

Yet still shifted plenty of tops in Champion Sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

kryogen wrote: »
    Yes, things Rte do bother me all the time, well, cept when Im awake, you know, cause Rte just aren't that important in my life?

Where are you actually going with this? You are confused about where Edinburgh is? Hardly..............

St Patrick would have been better wouldn't it? Couldn't you have asked me does it upset me every Patricks day that our patron saint isn't even Irish?

Of course you miss the point entirely, sadly, Im not even sure you know that.
    What about if someone tells you they were in a Chinese restaurant in Dublin,of course there are no Chinese restaurants in Dublin as Dublin is not in China,just like Celtic are not an Irish team as Glasgow is not in Ireland, same same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

What about if someone tells you they were in a Chinese restaurant in Dublin,of course there are no Chinese restaurants in Dublin as Dublin is not in China,just like Celtic are not an Irish team as Glasgow is not in Ireland, same same

Would people from China go to eat in this Chinese eatery in Dublin whilst ignoring proper Chinese restaurants in their own country and then claim 'I travel to Ireland to eat because I want to eat in a Chinese restaurant'.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Would people from China go to eat in this Chinese eatery in Dublin whilst ignoring proper Chinese restaurants in their own country and then claim 'I travel to Ireland to eat because I want to eat in a Chinese restaurant'.
    they can't eat in a Chinese restaurant in Dublin because Dublin is not in China so therefore its not a Chinese restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Stop talking about Chinese restaurants your making me hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You think the food you get at these places is genuine Chinese food ?

You seem to confuse being a club with an Irish background and actually being an Irish club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

LOL! Some priceless "points" being made here.

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    You think the food you get at these places is genuine Chinese food ?

You seem to confuse being a club with an Irish background and actually being an Irish club.
    No the rice is grown in a paddy field in Athenry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

they can't eat in a Chinese restaurant in Dublin because Dublin is not in China so therefore its not a Chinese restaurant

So its a normal resturant that does Chinese cuisine?

Nobody is doubting the Irish heritage and links to Celtic but thats where the buck stops, unless the uplift the club and plant it on this island.

Celtic arent Irish no matter what way people cut it but if you want to claim them as yere own by all means do so but ignore the geographical reasons why they're not Irish in the process.

You seem to be catching on, a little. Yes Celtic are not an Irish team as Glasgow is not in Ireland, well done, but my friend, restaurants can be opened anywhere and there is no law to stop a Chinese restaurant opening anywhere in Ireland. In fact there are plenty of them about.

I suggest you may want to venture out more often?

Leave the bedroom once in a while?

Here you go bud, hope this helps you experience a new cuisine

http://www.menupages.ie/cuisines/chinese/dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

The analogies in this thread have gone a bit far haven't they?

By the logic spouted here, James McCarthy is not Irish because he's born in Scotland - but if John Terry bought a house here he would be.

Antifa161 wrote: »

By the logic spouted here, James McCarthy is not Irish because he's born in Scotland - but if John Terry bought a house here he would be.

I was with you right up to the bold part

How do you reach that conclusion me old mucker?

I was with you right up to the bold part

How do you reach that conclusion me old mucker?
    Apparently if Celtic moved to Ireland they'd be Irish.

I don't know how this all started anyway. I brought Celtic up, but I said they were a Scottish club with an Irish cultural identity.

It's a bit like claiming the New York GAA team can't be Irish at all because it's based in New York. At the end of the day it's not a tangible thing that can be quantified, it's just a matter of perception. Millions of non-Irish, non-Celtic supporting people recognise the Irish element of Celtic FC. I guess it's up to the people in this thread to go out there and passionately convince them otherwise.

Here you go bud, hope this helps you experience a new cuisine

http://www.menupages.ie/cuisines/chinese/dublin
    so you can't have an Irish football club in Scotland but you can have a Chinese restaurant in Ireland,double standards, what about an Irish pub in Spain for example

Ok, if I were to set up a company in Scotland. My premises was in Scotland, paid all my taxes in Scotland, all my employees were based in Scotland. Would the company be Irish?

Peterborough are owned by an Irish guy, are they an Irish club? If they start flying a tricolour would this make them Irish?

Apparently if Celtic moved to Ireland they'd be Irish.

I don't know how this all started anyway. I brought Celtic up, but I said they were a Scottish club with an Irish cultural identity.

It's a bit like claiming the New York GAA team can't be Irish at all because it's based in New York. At the end of the day it's not a tangible thing that can be quantified, it's just a matter of perception. Millions of non-Irish, non-Celtic supporting people recognise the Irish element of Celtic FC. I guess it's up to the people in this thread to go out there and passionately convince them otherwise.

Nobody is saying if Celtic moved to Ireland they would be an Irish club, in the unlikely event of that happening they would be a Scottish club with Irish links playing in Ireland. Which would be just strange.

Nobody has ever denied the heritage/links between Irish emigrants and Celtic either.......

Don't think some people realise what actually is being said at all.

Here is how this "debate" began

I posted that I cant stand people who tell me Celtic is an Irish club.

That's it, is that statement inaccurate? No. You actually had a poster come on saying he had never heard people make such claim and he is a big fan and blah blah. Insanity of the highest order (or bull****) then you have the evidence in this thread that you will find people who will try to argue the point.

Its irrelevant. Celtic are not Irish, they have an Irish heritage, so do lots of teams, (plenty of them in Ireland too funnily enough) they are no more Irish then Hibernian who they were based on.

Both are Scottish teams with an irish heritage.

Let it go, move on. Life is so much easier when you accept reality

• Advertisement

New York GAA team can't be Irish at all because it's based in New York.

Eh yes. Nobody would ever claim they were an Irish team. Same as London. There are plenty of young English lads playing GAA now in London with no connection to Ireland. Are they now Irish also?

so you can't have an Irish football club in Scotland but you can have a Chinese restaurant in Ireland,double standards, what about an Irish pub in Spain for example

Could you not have picked something else to try make a facetious argument about?

I wont go into detail here cause that would be accusing you of being dumb to the extreme so just some simple steps

No you cannot have an Irish football team that is from Scotland

Yes you can have a restaurant that serves Chinese cuisine in Ireland

Yes you can have a pub in Spain with an Irish theme

There is nothing complicated about that at all. It requires no explanation, unless you are very very stupid. I make no accusations

Anything else you wanna cover yourself in glory with?

Nobody is saying if Celtic moved to Ireland they would be an Irish club, in the unlikely event of that happening they would be a Scottish club with Irish links playing in Ireland. Which would be just strange.

Nobody has ever denied the heritage/links between Irish emigrants and Celtic either.......

Don't think some people realise what actually is being said at all.

Here is how this "debate" began

I posted that I cant stand people who tell me Celtic is an Irish club.

That's it, is that statement inaccurate? No. You actually had a poster come on saying he had never heard people make such claim and he is a big fan and blah blah. Insanity of the highest order (or bull****) then you have the evidence in this thread that you will find people who will try to argue the point.

Its irrelevant. Celtic are not Irish, they have an Irish heritage, so do lots of teams, (plenty of them in Ireland too funnily enough) they are no more Irish then Hibernian who they were based on.

Both are Scottish teams with an irish heritage.

Let it go, move on. Life is so much easier when you accept reality
    If you go to Spain for example and pass by a big green pub with Irish tri colours flying from it with a name beginning with O , you would automatically say there is a Spanish pub?

If you go to Spain for example and pass by a big green pub with Irish tri colours flying from it with a name beginning with O , you would automatically say there is a Spanish pub?

Already answered.

Keep up

It's an Irish themed bar. Quite a lot of Irish bars in Spain are Spanish owned and run. So your definition of being "Irish" Is sticking a few tricolours up? No wonder you feel Celtic are Irish.

Could you not have picked something else to try make a facetious argument about?

I wont go into detail here cause that would be accusing you of being dumb to the extreme so just some simple steps

No you cannot have an Irish football team that is from Scotland

Yes you can have a restaurant that serves Chinese cuisine in Ireland

Yes you can have a pub in Spain with an Irish theme

There is nothing complicated about that at all. It requires no explanation, unless you are very very stupid. I make no accusations

Anything else you wanna cover yourself in glory with?
    Explain to me how you ban have an Irish pub in Spain but not have an Irish club in Scotland, is it against some law, or do you just have a chip no your shoulder about Celtic fans?

Explain to me how you ban have an Irish pub in Spain but not have an Irish club in Scotland, is it against some law, or do you just have a chip no your shoulder about Celtic fans?

I have many Celtic fans as friends, don't think I have any secret grudge against them.

Now the thickos on the other hand who will tell you its an Irish club, I have a problem with them alright yeah. I know you shouldn't get angry when someone doesn't know any better, but after you show them logically the fallacy of what they are saying and they continue to talk nonsense I do find them pretty annoying.

Do I need to explain it to you as if its something I claimed? You probably need to read my post again maybe?

I was sitting with my friend here in Ireland and I gave him friend a Chinese burn, should it be called an Irish burn? Exactly! Therefore, Celtic FC is Irish.

magma69 wrote: »
    I was sitting with my friend here in Ireland and I gave him friend a Chinese burn, should it be called an Irish burn? Exactly! Therefore, Celtic FC is Irish.

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

This is the best one yet. :pac:

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »

jaguar-fan-gif.gif

I have many Celtic fans as friends, don't think I have any secret grudge against them.

Now the thickos on the other hand who will tell you its an Irish club, I have a problem with them alright yeah. I know you shouldn't get angry when someone doesn't know any better, but after you show them logically the fallacy of what they are saying and they continue to talk nonsense I do find them pretty annoying.

Do I need to explain it to you as if its something I claimed? You probably need to read my post again maybe?
    do you get angry if someone tells you they were in an Irish pub in the USA?

Guess my sarcasm is lost on ye.

For sarcasm to work properly in a text media it needs one of these guys :pac: or one of these :rolleyes:

Thought the ridiculousness of its premise would be enough. Lesson learned.

do you get angry if someone tells you they were in an Irish pub in the USA?

No, why would I?

Are you gonna ever address any counter point by the by or should I just stop replying to you?

Your no challenge, or fun.

• Advertisement

No, why would I?

Are you gonna ever address any counter point by the by or should I just stop replying to you?

Your no challenge, or fun.
    then why would you get angry at someone refering to Celtic as an Irish club,it doesn't make sense

This is what you call checkmate dublinbhoy88

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86634860&postcount=1892

then why would you get angry at someone refering to Celtic as an Irish club,it doesn't make sense

I cant continue Im afraid.

If you truly don't understand I don't have the tools to show you

If you do understand but are being pig headed, well, your not fun enough to keep me interested frankly.

doncarlos wrote: »

That sorts it so, Glasgow Celtic are Scottish, glad we've manged to clear that up, only took about 20 posts. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No, but I would be doing nothing more than passing it by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Rovers in Ireland for me. Elsewhere, I hate Liverpool a lot. Internationally I really don't like Roma and I do enjoy seeing Barcelona mess up(although it rarely happens).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I dunno where you're going with this example. They're Irish restaurants selling food loosely based on Chinese cuisine, and Spanish pubs loosely based on the kind of pubs we have here.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That sorts it so, Glasgow Celtic are Scottish, glad we've manged to clear that up, only took about 20 posts. :pac:
    I never said celtic were an Irish club, anyway Ireland is England when it comes to soccer so I would only be anglofying celtic by claiming they were irish:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This thread really jumped the shark when people started talking about Chinese restaurants. :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

At least I know what I'm ordering for dinner tonight. Cheers SF.

This thread really jumped the shark when people started talking about Chinese restaurants. :confused:

Haha yeah.

Cardiff are a Chinese club

edit for CSF: ;);):pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D;);):):):p:p

Cardiff are a Chinese club

No they're Welsh, don't be silly. Your arguments are getting awfully boring.

CSF wrote: »
    No they're Welsh, don't be silly. Your arguments are getting awfully boring.
    Oh jesus. Not enough colourful smiley faces for you to get the joke obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Celtic aint Irish.

No matter how hard you try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement