Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa Ballon d'Or 2013 - discussion thread.

• 29-10-2013 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

The 23-man shortlist for the prestigious world player of the year award was announced early this morning, with the winner to be unveiled on January 13 in Zurich.

Who do you think should take it?

Messi is the favorite as of now, one thing I thought was interesting is that the bookies have Ribery a tighter odds to win it then Ronaldo.

Who should win it? 318 votes

Gareth Bale (Real Madrid, Wales)
    0% 0 votes
    Edinson Cavani (PSG, Uruguay)
    0% 2 votes
    Radamel Falcao (Monaco, Columbia)
    0% 0 votes
    Eden Hazard (Chelsea, Belgium)
    0% 0 votes
    Zlatan Ibrahimović (PSG, Sweden)
    0% 2 votes
    Andrés Iniesta (Barcelona, Spain)
    5% 17 votes
    Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    0% 0 votes
    Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund, Poland)
    0% 3 votes
    Leo Messi (Barcelona, Argentina)
    0% 3 votes
    Thomas Müller (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    19% 63 votes
    Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich, Germany)
    0% 2 votes
    Neymar (Barcelona, Brazil)
    0% 1 vote
    Mesut Özil (Arsenal, Germany)
    0% 0 votes
    Andrea Pirlo (Juventus, Italy)
    0% 3 votes
    Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich, France)
    0% 0 votes
    Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich, Netherlands)
    6% 20 votes
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, Portugal)
    1% 6 votes
    Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayrern Munich, Germany)
    47% 150 votes
    Luis Suárez (Liverpool, Uruguay)
    1% 6 votes
    Thiago Silva (PSG, Brazil)
    10% 32 votes
    Yaya Touré (Manchester City, Côte d’Ivoire)
    0% 0 votes
    Robin Van Persie (Manchester Utd, Netherlands)
    0% 1 vote
    Xavi (Barcelona, Spain)
    2% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'd love to see Ribery win it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I'd love to see Ribery win it .

Messi for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever chance Gareth Bale had probably went up in smoke with his Real move ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

mike65 wrote: »
    Whatever chance Gareth Bale had

None whatsoever in the first place, so it's not even worth talking about whether he scuppered it with the Real move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Ronaldo will probably win it given Messi's injury lay offs. I hope he doesn't though.

• Advertisement

I think Neur is abit of a wasted option,
    I agree there is no doubting he is the best goalkeeper in the world but he didn't have very much to do last year.

I think Sergio Aguero should of been shortlisted.

I think Neur is abit of a wasted option,
    I agree there is no doubting he is the best goalkeeper in the world but he didn't have very much to do last year.

I think Sergio Aguero should of been shortlisted.

Aguero? Think that's your City bias showing there, he had a fairly poor (albeit injury-ravaged) season last year, at least by his standards. He's started brilliantly this year, but that's not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Think Ribery deserves it personally. The outstanding player in a side that won the treble last season. Simple as that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to say the B d'O also applies to managers

FIFA World Coach of the Year for Men’s Football 2013:

Carlo Ancelotti (Italy/Paris Saint-Germain FC/Real Madrid CF),
    Rafael Benítez (Spain/Chelsea FC/SSC Napoli),
    Antonio Conte (Italy/Juventus),
    Vicente Del Bosque (Spain/Spain national team),
    Sir Alex Ferguson (Scotland/Manchester United FC former coach),
    Jupp Heynckes (Germany/FC Bayern München former coach),
    Jürgen Klopp (Germany/Borussia Dortmund),
    José Mourinho (Portugal/Real Madrid CF/Chelsea FC),
    Luiz Felipe Scolari (Brazil/Brazil national team),
    Arsène Wenger (France/Arsenal FC).

Heynckes really should win this but they may bung it to SAF for old times sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Think Ribery deserves it personally. The outstanding player in a side that won the treble last season. Simple as that really.

That logic didn't seem to count for Sneijder for example in 2010, a year in which he also reached the WC final. Iniesta was also more worthy than Messi that year, he should've won it then imo.

Personally I think it's got to the stage where Messi almost has it by default, and everyone else is really up against it to challenge. Obviously he is performing at a very high level consistently, but you look at Ronaldo and it's not like he's the only one. I actually think it would take a long injury lay off for Messi for someone else to win it, as he performs whenever he is fit, and each year it's "his to lose" so to speak. Imo Ribery and Ronaldo are both more deserving this year but I think Messi will win it again unfortunately. I seen one bookie was offering odds of 13/2 on Ronaldo which is just plain stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Heynckes should be a shoe in for the manager award, pretty much a perfect season from his side

Messi will probably win the player award again, would like to see it go elsewhere though if only for a bit of variety :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Messi and ronaldo are on a different level to all other players. They are machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Between Ribery, Ronaldo and Messi for me. Hopefully one of the previous can with it just for some variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hazard has no buisness on that list imo, pirlo and yaya are debatable. And how is wenger on the managerial list and not simeone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

klose wrote: »
    Hazard has no buisness on that list imo, pirlo and yaya are debatable. And how is wenger on the managerial list and not simeone?

Such a joke that one.
    How is Vidal not on it either and I am a Milan fan. A lot of them players had a rubbish 2013 cough, Xavi, cough. At least Pirlo played well at the confeds & at times for Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Robben was such a huge difference maker for Bayern last year. Without him I don't think Bayern had the same intensity and pace in attack.

I think Ribery or Robben should get it. Both were class. Messi was super last year but he wasn't the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Schweinsteiger for me. I'd personally give it to Ronaldo but I just fancy a Bayern player wins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ribery will probably win it. Its a safe justification when you win trophies, not that he wouldnt deserve it, but thats how a lot of these awards go.

klose wrote: »
    And how is wenger on the managerial list and not simeone?
    Likewise Mourinho, what's he done over the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

For me it's still basically impossible to put together any reasonable argument against Messi deserving to win this. He's still another level to the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

People say so-and-so has no business on that list, but 23 players is far too much.
    In any year there can never be more than 3 or 4 credible challengers.
    Arguably Messi has it sewn up anyways, so only one challenger this year.

I was disappointed to see no Irish player on the list, oh well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

my 1-24

1 Ronaldo
    2 Messi
    3 Ibrahimovic
    4 Ribery
    5 Suarez
    6 Robben
    7 Lahm
    8 Van Persie
    9 Falcao
    10 Lewandowski
    11 Muller
    12 Bale
    13 Iniesta
    14 Neymar
    15 Schweinsteiger
    16 Thiago Silva
    17 Iniesta
    18 Xavi
    19 Ozil
    20 Cavani
    21 Hazard
    22 Neur
    23 Toure
    24 Pirlo - Vidal should be on the shortlist instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm a firm believer that these rewards should go to the best individual player rather than the best player from the team who won the most trophies, more often than not, those players are the same but not always.

So for that reason I think Messi should win it, but I think Ribery will. Voted Ribery in the poll as I didn't read the question properly. He wouldn't be undeserving of it but Messi deserves it more imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ribery is favourite with Paddy Power (evens).

How is that possible? This is an individual award right?

Your team's success is not as important as your individual success for the Ballon d'Or.

Messi - 60 goals last season in 50 appearances.
    Ronaldo - 55 goals in 55 appearances.
    Ribery - 11 goals in 43 appearances.

How the hell could anyone justify that Ribery was better than Messi or Ronaldo? It shouldnt matter that they win every year, they deserve to win, and I dont want to see them lose just because they win all the time! Our best player Messi/Ronaldo should be recognised, and not Ribery!

Heynckes should absolutely walk the manager of the year award, although with Ferguson retiring you can't help but wonder if he'll get it for sentimental reasons.

As for player of the year, yet again you can't look past Messi. It's a "dull" choice if you want to call it that, but honestly, was there anyone else who had a season like him, 60 goals scored in 50 games!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I'm not even sure if Ribery is the most deserving on his own team.

Personally I wouldn't rate him as the best Bayern player, but he is always the one mentioned when it comes to awards for Bayern players for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I would have thought Marco Reus would been in the running, he was a bit better than a few of the players on that list IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Your team's success is not as important as your individual success for the Ballon d'Or.

How the hell could anyone justify that Ribery was better than Messi or Ronaldo? It shouldnt matter that they win every year, they deserve to win, and I dont want to see them lose just because they win all the time! Our best player Messi/Ronaldo should be recognised, and not Ribery!

Isn't it a calendar year thing?

In that case, I wouldn't say Ronaldo or Messi has much of a claim, it would have to be a Juventus player or Munich player.

Of course, I'd give it to Iniesta regardless, but then again, I'd give everything to Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Marco Reus ;)

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Isn't it a calendar year thing?

In that case, I wouldn't say Ronaldo or Messi has much of a claim, it would have to be a Juventus player or Munich player.

Of course, I'd give it to Iniesta regardless, but then again, I'd give everything to Iniesta.

Its a calendar year thing yeah?

How does that suddenly put a Juventus player into the mix, if thats the case then why isnt the whole Arsenal squad in the mix? As they have the best record in Europe in this calendar year AFAIK.

Messi and Ronaldo have been every bit as good in 2014 as they ever were, in Ronaldo's case hes probably been better than ever!

dfx- wrote: »

Bar the Clasico, Iniesta's actually been poor for his standards for a while now.

Bar the Clasico, Iniesta's actually been poor for his standards for a while now.

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well I'd hate to be a defender with 0 goals in 50 brilliant appearances trying to win it. I'd agree Messi and Rinaldo are a step above the rest but I wouldn't base it squarely on goals scored.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Well I'd hate to be a defender with 0 goals in 50 brilliant appearances trying to win it. I'd agree Messi and Rinaldo are a step above the rest but I wouldn't base it squarely on goals scored.

Im comparing attackers who play in similar positions so I think goals are a factor in deciding who is better, also of course assists, key passes, dribble success, pass accuracy etc are also important stats.

lol.

It's a generally accepted opinion, so "lol" away. Barca fans acknowledge this, he hasn't been bad because he's Iniesta, but he's been much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Has to be Messi again. Voting for someone else for a change from the usual is a ridiculous reason.

Busquets should be on the list and Mata should definitely be on it instead of Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Busquets should be on the list and Mata should definitely be on it instead of Hazard.

Busquets should be nowhere near any accolade because he is the most cynical player I have ever seen. I find it hard to watch when he plays because he lives for going down and wailing.

Ribery favourite? That's mad.

Any money to be made on this?

Busquets should be nowhere near any accolade because he is the most cynical player I have ever seen. I find it hard to watch when he plays because he lives for going down and wailing.

Busquets is an incredible player, world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm not willing to overlook his attitude to the game, it's abhorrent. I know you could say other players dive but he is in a class of his own in that regard.

I'm not willing to overlook his attitude to the game, it's abhorrent. I know you could say other players dive but he is in a class of his own in that regard.

His diving and play acting is ridiculous alright. Ronaldo and Messi dive too. Not on his level of course.

Still as a footballer he's fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's not as bad as he was at all, imo.

Ronaldo and Bale are almost as bad and Suarez's antics haven't stopped him getting in the list either.

You should be able to see past this and realise that he is a brilliant player who had a very good year, he should easily have made this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ribery and Heynckes for me. I honestly think those who scoff at the idea of Ribery being number 1 just haven't watched enough Bundesliga. The man has been phenomenal while Messi has been injured for key parts of the year

Messi is the better all round player, and would be the better player over a 3-5 year period, but that isn't what the award is for. Ribery peaked this year and hit serious performance levels.

You're being a little harsh, he's actually cleaned up his act over the last year, not nearly as much playacting recently. Jordi Alba has taken his mantle of king of the dive at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Ronaldo/Schweinsteiger/Messi top 3 for me, think Ronaldo might nick it this year although I went for Schweinsteiger in the poll.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Speaking as someone who dislikes Bayern immensely, for me, it should be either Schweinsteiger or Lahm. Neither will win it however, so I picked Ribery from the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

CSF wrote: »
    Messi is the better all round player, and would be the better player over a 3-5 year period, but that isn't what the award is for. Ribery peaked this year and hit serious performance levels.

Which still is nowhere near Ronaldo or Messi. They get double and triple the goals & assists of any other attacking player every year. It should always be between those two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Messi and Ronaldo should share it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement