Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa Ballon d'Or 2013 - discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Messi is default unless he misses 50% of the season I'm guessing.

Don't think it will go any other way, would like to see Ronaldo win it though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Messi. 50 games, 60 goals. This season, 12 games, 12 goals and he has even struggled for fitness at times. Those numbers are unbelievable, maybe it's because it's Messi and that he has made it almost become the norm and we have become a little desensitized to it but those kind of numbers, his remarkable performances deserve all of the recognition he receives. There has been no better player on the planet this year, give the Argentine genius the award.

Messi. 50 games, 60 goals. This season, 12 games, 12 goals and he has even struggled for fitness at times. Those numbers are unbelievable, maybe it's because it's Messi and that he has made it almost become the norm and we have become a little desensitized to it but those kind of numbers, his remarkable performances deserve all of the recognition he receives. There has been no better player on the planet this year, give the Argentine genius the award.

Out if curiosity, do you not think he has an advantage with two of the best midfielders in the game behind him?

Ronaldo 63 games 59 goals

Without Xavi and Iniesta in the team is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Out if curiosity, do you not think he has an advantage with two of the best midfielders in the game behind him?

Ronaldo 63 games 59 goals

Without Xavi and Iniesta in the team is pretty impressive.

Do you not think Ozil and Alonso helped Ronaldo in any way?

YayaBanana wrote: »

Obviously

That's not the question I'm asking though

Just as much or possibly even more so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CSF wrote: »
    Ribery and Heynckes for me. I honestly think those who scoff at the idea of Ribery being number 1 just haven't watched enough Bundesliga. The man has been phenomenal while Messi has been injured for key parts of the year

Messi is the better all round player, and would be the better player over a 3-5 year period, but that isn't what the award is for. Ribery peaked this year and hit serious performance levels.
    Reason I went for Schweinsteiger is because he is not a forward and it means that the award doesn't look ridiculous going to him. You give it to Ribery then it looks stupid because you have two far better players in Messi and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Messi has been the best, but that's boring. However, giving it to someone else because Messi winning is boring will just result in another Cannavaro situation. Sticking out like a sore thumb from a list of legit winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Messi has been the best, but that's boring. However, giving it to someone else because Messi winning is boring will just result in another Cannavaro situation. Sticking out like a sore thumb from a list of legit winners.

Cannavaro was a shocking one wasnt it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Out if curiosity, do you not think he has an advantage with two of the best midfielders in the game behind him?.

He's scored hat tricks against Brazil without the help of Xavi & Iniesta. Same could be said about Ronaldo having Özil assisting him more than Iniesta/Xavi did for Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It has to be Messi. Giving it to anyone else would be a travesty tbh. Sure, everyone recognises Messi as the best in the world but putting Ribery ahead of him is borderline embarrassing. They're streets apart. Messi deserves every award he's up for. Such a consistent player since his debut who's a level or several levels above every other player in the world, including Ronaldo. He's just incredible. I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Ronaldo did win because Ronaldo had such an impressive year but it'd be a shame all the same. I agree with the poster that said that Ribery probably isn't the most deserving of even the Bayern team to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

It would be a shame if Ribery won, Messi deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I'd like to see Zlatan win it tbh.

The man's talents are absolutely incredible. He's got it all and the fact he has his own appreciation thread on boards should prove that he is the best in the world :pac:

It was said on this forum before, but there really should be a yearly Zlatan award

I'd like to see Zlatan win it tbh.

The man's talents are absolutely incredible. He's got it all and the fact he has his own appreciation thread on boards should prove that he is the best in the world :pac:

It was said on this forum before, but there really should be a yearly Zlatan award

So does Balotelli though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So does Balotelli though?

Yeah but Zlatan is clearly better than Balotelli, he dragged PSG to Ligue 1 and does something ridiculous basically every game at this point. He's the third best in the world for me, and I wouldn't begrudge him the title based on this calendar year. Better than Ribery anyway. However, I still think Messi should win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They could just rename it the "Lionel Messi Ballon D'Or" so they don't have to give it to him every year for the next 5 seasons.

Also, the people who've voted Ronaldo must be mental.

Either the criteria is to do with helping a team win trophies or else it's the best player in the world.

So it's either a Bayern player or Messi.

By no conceivable metric could you say Ronaldo has been better than Messi. Won nothing and has worse stats across the board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Ronaldo didn't get it last year when Madrid won the league, scoring the decider at the Nou Camp and he was in the Euro semifinal, he shouldn't this year.

Messi has been out for too long over the calendar year to give it to him..

And the recipient of that award should be....Zlatan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

dfx- wrote: »
    If Ronaldo didn't get it last year when Madrid won the league, scoring the decider at the Nou Camp and he was in the Euro semifinal, he shouldn't this year.

Messi has been out for too long over the calendar year to give it to him..

And the recipient of that award should be....Zlatan?

Messi only played 5 games less than Ronaldo and played 3 more than Ibrahimovic between last season and so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Messi doesn't deserve it this year
    hasn't performed in the big games against Real & Bayern

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Messi only played 5 games less than Ronaldo and played 3 more than Ibrahimovic between last season and so far this season.

Since January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Special mention to P.Lahm for getting on the list, as a full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Only four realistic candidates.

Anyone else I think would have around a 1% chance of winning, if even that.

1) Messi: going for five in a row, by common consensus the best player in the world and one of the best ever.

2) Ronaldo: Messi's eternal understudy, tragically cursed (relatively speaking of course!) to have been born in the same era as the latter, could be going for third or fourth Ballon d'Or by this stage otherwise.

3) Ribéry: A clear contender after a scintillating year, swept up everything there was to win with his club, been knocking on the door for quite a while now.

4) Ibrahimović: A bit of a joker here, but in the good sense of the term. Phenomenal talent and ability, probably still the outsider for the award this time, but stranger things have happened.

I think it comes down to Messi one way or another. Most would agree for his stratospheric standards, he has been slightly down this year, plus has suffered a few niggling injuries and his team has not been as dominant as in previous years. Whether his form has dropped enough to give the trophy to someone else, probably not, but possibly. Mind you, his statistics are still quite frightening and had he not already won four on the trot, I suspect he would be more of a favourite than he is currently. He has made a rod for his own back by being so good in the past to some degree, setting seriously high standards.

As for Ronaldo, supreme player, ironically enough he has probably got closer to Messi this year than ever before, but I suspect his team's meltdown at crucial stages of the campaign will be held against the Portuguese. Last year would have ordinarily been a walkover for him and was probably his best chance to get a second award, had Messi not scored a freakishly high amount of goals in the calendar year. I'm not sure his reaction to the Blatter incident this time (even though understandable) will aid his bid either.

Ribéry 'should' really get it this year, especially if you take the approach that it should reward the best performing player of the year, rather than the best player per se. He has been remarkably consistent, not just this year, but for the past 2-3 years and his team winning all the main trophies will certainly help his cause. What will certainly not help him is his image off the pitch, as he does not have the smooth media polished machines of Messi and Ronaldo behind him and does not attract the headlines for being a 'character' like Zlatan. Various scandals both in and out of football have led him to being perhaps unfairly seen as a rough delinquent-type. I don't think FIFA would ever want him as their poster boy. That having been said, I don't think anyone would begrudge him should he walk off with the prize for 2013.

As for Zlatan, well perhaps the fact he plays in the French league will not stand to him, but he sparkles on the pitch so much for his play (and has done for the last decade), that no lover of football would moan I think if he happened to unexpectedly win the Ballon d'Or this year. It would be fitting. He has also been extremely efficient at international level in the past while, a criticism that was levelled against him before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    As for Zlatan, well perhaps the fact he plays in the French league will not stand to him, but he sparkles on the pitch so much for his play (and has done for the last decade), that no lover of football would moan I think if he happened to unexpectedly win the Ballon D'Or this year.

Not quite true, still a ridiculous amount of people who don't rate him at all. Baffling, I know.

I will be seriously frustrated if Messi doesnt win it, he so clearly deserves it

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    As for Zlatan, well perhaps the fact he plays in the French league will not stand to him, but he sparkles on the pitch so much for his play (and has done for the last decade), that no lover of football would moan I think if he happened to unexpectedly win the Ballon d'Or this year. It would be fitting. He has also been extremely efficient at international level in the past while, a criticism that was levelled against him before.

Kind of a ridiculous thing to say to be honest,
    I would moan if he won it. Why? Because he doesn't deserve to ahead of Messi or Ronaldo.

Sure he's an incredible talent who football fans enjoy watching, but he is not Lionel Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I want Robben or Zlatan to win but won't happen. How is Del Bosque nominated for coach of the year? How is Xavi nominated for player of the year. Gundogan in a similar position was 100 times better. Did he play well in any big game? Reus not nominated is a joke. Also Toure shouldn't be nominated.

I want Robben or Zlatan to win but won't happen. How is Del Bosque nominated for coach of the year? How is Xavi nominated for player of the year. Gundogan in a similar position was 100 times better. Did he play well in any big game? Reus not nominated is a joke. Also Toure shouldn't be nominated.

The worst nomination is Hazard, shocking, wasn't even Chelsea's best player!

The worst nomination is Hazard, shocking, wasn't even Chelsea's best player!

Actually forgot about him. Ya that's even worse than Xavi and Toure. He is Chelsea's 3rd best attacking midfielder/winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Messi or Ronaldo don't win it's the wrong decision.

Robben scoring the winner in the CL final is a huge individual achievement but it doesn't come close to the sheer amount of devastation the other 2 left in their wake. If Ronaldo can't win it after leading his team to the league title he wont win this year so that leaves Mess I as the only choice really.

Liam O wrote: »
    If Messi or Ronaldo don't win it's the wrong decision.

Robben scoring the winner in the CL final is a huge individual achievement but it doesn't come close to the sheer amount of devastation the other 2 left in their wake. If Ronaldo can't win it after leading his team to the league title he wont win this year so that leaves Mess I as the only choice really.
    Is there not something to be said for players who have performed best in big games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Ronaldo for the Ballon d'or après l'exclusion de Lionel Messi award.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

maximoose wrote: »
    Not quite true, still a ridiculous amount of people who don't rate him at all. Baffling, I know.

Suspect this is still a legacy of the UK press consistently under-rating him until he scored four against England, (the only person in the history of football to do this by the way).
    Kind of a ridiculous thing to say to be honest,
    I would moan if he won it. Why? Because he doesn't deserve to ahead of Messi or Ronaldo.

Sure he's an incredible talent who football fans enjoy watching, but he is not Lionel Messi.

Well, my post was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt. Even if Messi scored 300 goals in one year, there would still be people who would moan about his inevitable victory, that's just human nature. I was referring to those fans like myself who, if Zlatan happened to (perhaps undeservedly) win this time, would be very pleased to see his talent given the ultimate recognition or accolade. For what it's worth, I think Ribéry would in an ideal world be the winner on this year's performances, but I still think Messi will come out on top, simply because he is the best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Why is Paul Mc Shane not on the short list now that he is fully fit again??

Some bookies giving Ronaldo at 8/1, nice outside bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ribery is favourite with Paddy Power (evens).

How is that possible? This is an individual award right?

Your team's success is not as important as your individual success for the Ballon d'Or.

Messi - 60 goals last season in 50 appearances.
    Ronaldo - 55 goals in 55 appearances.
    Ribery - 11 goals in 43 appearances.

How the hell could anyone justify that Ribery was better than Messi or Ronaldo? It shouldnt matter that they win every year, they deserve to win, and I dont want to see them lose just because they win all the time! Our best player Messi/Ronaldo should be recognised, and not Ribery!

I think the amount of goals is a stupid way to rate a player, christ going by that logic Jardel is one of the greatest players ever.
    Not dissing Ronaldo or Messi here like, but why does everyone use it as a bench mark.
    Maldini was brilliant and he wasnt scoring goals same with Buffon
    Also its how a player performs for the year 2013 what they did in 2012 doesnt count

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

astonaidan wrote: »
    I think the amount of goals is a stupid way to rate a player, christ going by that logic Jardel is one of the greatest players ever.
    Not dissing Ronaldo or Messi here like, but why does everyone use it as a bench mark.
    Maldini was brilliant and he wasnt scoring goals same with Buffon
    Also its how a player performs for the year 2013 what they did in 2012 doesnt count

Buffon? If he was anywhere near the best player in the world, at any point of his career, he wouldn't be standing in goals, he'd be outfield actually playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Some bookies giving Ronaldo at 8/1, nice outside bet.

At 8/1 he's defo worth a bet. I can't stand the guy and I hope he doesn't win it, but I think he actually deserves it this time, partly because Messi's missed a good few games in 2013 through injury.

At 8/1 he's defo worth a bet. I can't stand the guy and I hope he doesn't win it, but I think he actually deserves it this time, partly because Messi's missed a good few games in 2013 through injury.

I don't like the guy either but this year if any year he won it I wouldn't be shocked, I still think Messis 60 goals in 50 games is makes him the most deserving.

Buffon? If he was anywhere near the best player in the world, at any point of his career, he wouldn't be standing in goals, he'd be outfield actually playing football.
    Im actually not sure if your being serious right now, I would hope you really are not

• Advertisement

Had a punt on Messi at 7/4, couldn't turn it down lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Had a punt on Messi at 7/4, couldn't turn it down lads!
    Wow! Hadn't even checked the odds. Had assumed that Messi was long odds on to win it again. Very surprised to see Ribery is favourite.

How have 14 people voted for Suarez :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

astonaidan wrote: »
    How have 14 people voted for Suarez :(

14 Liverpool fans?

Messi injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can't see past Ronaldo for it this year, Messi is struggling with injuries and Ronaldo just seems to get better every year (to think he's just now hitting his peak).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't think anyone could begrudge Ronaldo winning it this year, he's on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

14 Liverpool fans?

Surely they're not that deluded? ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Suarez is hardly the worse person to vote on, to be fair. Not saying he should be number one or any other specific place either before anyone suggests otherwise.

Also, just reading back on this thread and genuine :pac: @ the people calling it a travesty or similar if Ribery won it, some hyperbole crap. Hardly preposterous he's in with a shout and many people feel he or another Bayern player deserve it after the season he had. Ribery always performed in all the big games last season, in the league and CL. I'd be fairly confident he'd double his goal tally if he played in La Liga, which seems to be the only thing some people care about.

Stop making me defend Bayern here, sigh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Suarez is hardly the worse person to vote on, to be fair. Not saying he should be number one or any other specific place either before anyone suggests otherwise.

Also, just reading back on this thread and genuine :pac: @ the people calling it a travesty or similar if Ribery won it, some hyperbole crap. Hardly preposterous he's in with a shout and many people feel he or another Bayern player deserve it after the season he had. Ribery always performed in all the big games last season, in the league and CL. I'd be fairly confident he'd double his goal tally if he played in La Liga, which seems to be the only thing some people care about.

Stop making me defend Bayern here, sigh :(

Who are you and what have you done with Nuri Sahin?

Personally Ribery or Ronaldo would be my choice. Ribery was the most important player in the side that won the treble, whereas Ronaldo just continues to score goal after goal with no sign of slowing down. He is simply a phenom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Blazer wrote: »
    Surely they're not that deluded? ;)

Are you kidding? Six voted Van Persie ffs. Of course people are deluded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement