Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa Ballon d'Or 2013 - discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

no way Ribery can win it ahead of Ronaldo imo
    it would be a disgrace imo
    Robben was Bayern most important player in the big games last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Who are you and what have you done with Nuri Sahin?

Personally Ribery or Ronaldo would be my choice. Ribery was the most important player in the side that won the treble, whereas Ronaldo just continues to score goal after goal with no sign of slowing down. He is simply a phenom.

Does anyone else get sick into their mouth anytime someone says this?

Ronaldo has been incredible this season. I'm not sure is that form enough to elevate him above Messi though.
    Their goal tallies have been pretty similar over the last season and a bit (74 for Messi, 79 for Ronaldo in more games) and Ronaldo's won slightly less in that time.

It'd be harsh for Ronaldo to never get a Ballon D'Or. Strictly speaking, Messi still is the best (even if he's not literally the best over the past 2 months) and probably deserves the award.
    But if you were going to give it to Ronaldo as a kind of 5-year achievement award I don't think too many (non-Barca fans) would begrudge him it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

MD1990 wrote: »
    no way Ribery can win it ahead of Ronaldo imo
    it would be a disgrace imo
    Robben was Bayern most important player in the big games last season

If this was based entirely on Champions League, maybe Robben's name could be included at a push. Ribery was superb in most games last season as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Gbear wrote: »
    Does anyone else get sick into their mouth anytime someone says this?

Ronaldo has been incredible this season. I'm not sure is that form enough to elevate him above Messi though.
    Their goal tallies have been pretty similar over the last season and a bit (74 for Messi, 79 for Ronaldo in more games) and Ronaldo's won slightly less in that time.

It'd be harsh for Ronaldo to never get a Ballon D'Or. Strictly speaking, Messi still is the best (even if he's not literally the best over the past 2 months) and probably deserves the award.
    But if you were going to give it to Ronaldo as a kind of 5-year achievement award I don't think too many (non-Barca fans) would begrudge him it.

Sorry, i'll PM you drafts of my future posts to see if they satisfy you in the future. I'd hate to make you sick.

Ronaldo already has one...he won it in 2008.

Messi's form has been mediocre(by his standards) for some time now. Granted he's not been fully fit and that's still good enough to score a ton of goals but Ronaldo has consistently been at his best all year long imo. It's close but between the two he shades it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gbear wrote: »
    It'd be harsh for Ronaldo to never get a Ballon D'Or.
    He has a Ballon D'Or.

But it isn't a "kind of 5-year achievement award", it's a one year award. And Messi's been better, so he should win it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

When is the winner announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Does Messi's injury affect this?

Has the voting been done already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

When is the winner announced?

13th of January.
    Does Messi's injury affect this?

Has the voting been done already?

It is awarded based on votes by coaches and captains of international teams, as well as journalists from around the world.

To the best of my knowledge the voting is closed 31st of December.

Gerrard said yesterday that he voted for Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

astonaidan wrote: »
    How have 14 people voted for Suarez :(

For the same reasons that 3 people voted for Robert Lewandowski? They're wrong, the horror. I voted for Suarez there now aswell, don't get rustled by it!! :)

This SHOULD be one of Ronaldo or Messi unti someone closes the gap between how consistently great they are and how good someone like Ribery was last season. Ribery was great when it counted and turned in some thrilling performances for a team that won it all. BUT, Ronaldo and Messi continued to put up production unmatched in the modern era. As long as they continue doing that giving the award to anyone else is pure folly.

Oh and Heynckes obviously deserves the Manager award, not close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Think Messi deserves it .

Think Ribery will get it .

Ronaldo doesnt deserve it . Madrid didnt win anything of note . Portugal may not even qualify for the World Cup . If Argentina were in Portugals position Messi would be getting slated from all angles .

• Advertisement

He has a Ballon D'Or.

But it isn't a "kind of 5-year achievement award", it's a one year award. And Messi's been better, so he should win it in my opinion.
    Messi's been better?
    where was he in the Copa Del Rey against Real?Ronaldo outperformed him

TheNap wrote: »

Ronaldo doesnt deserve it . Madrid didnt win anything of note . Portugal may not even qualify for the World Cup . If Argentina were in Portugals position Messi would be getting slated from all angles .
    Portugal are not a big football nation at all
    their team is not great really

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

TheNap wrote: »

Messi rarely gets slated from one angle, never mind all angles, and rightly so. I think he has a few more fans and admirers than you realise.

Messi's been better?

Nice sample size, that one game. You think Ronaldo should get it based on one game? :confused:

Nice sample size, that one game. You think Ronaldo should get it based on one game? :confused:
    where did i say that:confused:
    he's the top scorer in the CL in 2013 & in La Liga
    he has double the goals of Messi this season

where did i say that:confused:
    Messi's been better?

How about there? It's the only thing you said to justify Ronaldo being better. Ronaldo's scored slightly more having played more games. I think Messi has been better, it's not a goalscoring competition. That's what the Golden Boot is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

This season, as in the current season doesn't hold much influence in the award. I thought that was the way every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

These awards are a joke! When Snieder wasn't even nominated it in 2010 after the season he had, I lost all respect for it.

Ronaldo probably deserves it on this season so far, with 24 goals already scored. If Messi can get it last year for his goal scoring record and not winning anything, why can't Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ronaldo at 8/1 now seems huge.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo at 8/1 now seems huge.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Where?

I'd imagine he means looking back on it. I know he was 6/1 with PP about a week back, Checked yesterday at some stage and he was 11/4. Voting patterns would worry me though about backing Ronaldo. If everyone voted on Dec 31st then maybe it would favour Ronaldo if he has a good end to the year. If 80% have already voted then it doesn't matter that Messi is currently injured and he will probably win it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he means looking back on it. I know he was 6/1 with PP about a week back, Checked yesterday at some stage and he was 11/4. Voting patterns would worry me though about backing Ronaldo. If everyone voted on Dec 31st then maybe it would favour Ronaldo if he has a good end to the year. If 80% have already voted then it doesn't matter that Messi is currently injured and he will probably win it again.

But that's the thing, does everyone vote on the 31st of December or could some have voted already?

Id say a lot would wait a while TBH, fear for Messi, though he fully deserves to win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Where?

Was mentioned in here just few days ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Felt Messi, while a tremendous player obviously, is probably going to fall short this year.

I can't see past Ronaldo, he seems to be just getting better, his strike rate in Spain is monsterous and his hat tricks are just amazing. I don't buy into people saying Messi' injury is gonig to play into it, I just honestly feel Ronaldo is pushing on, while Messi has been a little static.

It's nit picking at it's finest trying to pick the bones between these two players, but just think Ronaldo has been more devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

TheDoc wrote: »
    Felt Messi, while a tremendous player obviously, is probably going to fall short this year.

I can't see past Ronaldo, he seems to be just getting better, his strike rate in Spain is monsterous and his hat tricks are just amazing. I don't buy into people saying Messi' injury is gonig to play into it, I just honestly feel Ronaldo is pushing on, while Messi has been a little static.

It's nit picking at it's finest trying to pick the bones between these two players, but just think Ronaldo has been more devastating.

Since about last April Messi hasn't not been consistently fit, missing loads of games. I seen a stat like he only finished 12 of Barca's last 33 games. Could have been 18/33 cant remember but either way of course his injury problem have affected his performances. It's daft to think other wise.

As a Barca fan I have no problem conceding Ronaldo is the best player in the world right now, he has been more solid for about the last 7-8 months. Weather or not a fully fit Messi would be better at this moment in time is impossible to say and just reeks of fan service from either set of fans.

Ribery how ever, while not having the sheer volume of goals, has been a beast for 12+ months and lead his club to what in my opinion was the most fierce team to play against for some time now. Such technique/power/pace.. they had it all. Ribery more than any other squad player epitomizes what is good about Bayern Munich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I can really see it being a Bayern player, Ribery or Robben.

id go as far to say it will be a disgrace if Ronaldo doesn't win it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Has to be Ronaldo after tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Yeah it simply has to be Ronaldo. That was another big performance when it was needed most, but his overall form this season is just incredible.

The odds on him winning have been slashed of course, best price now 8/11 from 2/1 a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

JPA wrote: »
    I can really see it being a Bayern player, Ribery or Robben.
    Has the headline "Ribery Robbery Wonder" ever been used before?

• Advertisement

Sakho

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

id go as far to say it will be a disgrace if Ronaldo doesn't win it this year

Yep his form this year has just been incredible and now he's basically dragged Portugal to the World Cup. I think his performance tonight will go a long way in him getting the nod over Messi for the Ballon d'Or.

He should be a shoe in with Messi injured

Fifa have decided to move the voting deadline to Nov 29th
    Votes can be changed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Five hat tricks already this season.

32 goals in 22 games.

Thats hard to look past to be honest.

Five hat tricks already this season.

32 goals in 22 games.

Thats hard to look past to be honest.

That's an insane goals per game ratio, almost 1.5 goals per game.

He'll need to up it a bit though if he wants to hit 150 goals this season. Then he can be considered great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

CR deserves it without a doubt.

Although look who sponsors Barcelona.......

Messi still deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Here's the thing I don't understand. Why did FIFA set the original closing date for Nov 15th? Did they forget about the world cup play-offs? If its true that they extended the vote because of low response levels, what does that say about interest in their famous award?

• Advertisement

Messi still deserves it.
    I don't think so. For me Ribery has had a fantastic 2013, and the journos who voted him UEFA Best Player of season 2012-13 made him a clear winner over Messi and Ronaldo. He has been the standout player in a brilliant Bayern Munich team who won every trophy they competed for. Since then, Ronaldo's form has been fantastic, and I expect him to win the Ballon d'Or, though I think Ribery should.

marbless wrote: »
    For me Ribery has had a fantastic 2013

He has indeed had a fantastic season. But has he been a better player and performed better than Christiano Ronaldo this season? No, he has not.

He has indeed had a fantastic season. But has he been a better player and performed better than Christiano Ronaldo this season? No, he has not.
    But the award is made for the whole calendar year, not just this season to date. Ronaldo got himself sent off in extra time of the Copa del Rey final when Real lost to Atletico last season, and he made no impact when Atletico won at the Bernabeu in September. That's taking nothing away from the crazy number of goals he's scored in other matches, but its two examples of big matches when he was less successful.

Ribery is less headline-grabbing but in virtually every Bayern Munich match I saw on television this year he was their key provider of chances and scored a decent number of goals himself. His performance against City in Manchester was brilliant. Without his consistency I doubt very much that Bayern would have won their treble - only the 7th team in European history to win their league, cup and the European Cup.

I felt Ronaldo was very unlucky not to win the Ballon d'Or last year, when he did so much to help Madrid dethrone Barcelona in La Liga and won the head-to-head with Messi hands down at the Nou Camp. But the prize went to Messi for his goal-scoring exploits, even though he didn't have a trophy to boast of in 2012.

I'd say Ronaldo will get the nod for 2013 despite having won no medals this year. If so I'll feel sorry for Ribery this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The weird thing is the best player at a World Cup will always get the Balon D`or but Bayern being the best team in europe the last year EASILY has been forgotten very fast

GTR63 wrote: »
    The weird thing is the best player at a World Cup will always get the Balon D`or but Bayern being the best team in europe the last year EASILY has been forgotten very fast

And rightly so, because its not about the best team. Its not the GAA allstars where they seemingly have to pick everybody from the team that wins.

Bayern were the best team in Europe, but was Ribery a better player than Ronaldo last season? No, he was not.

marbless wrote: »
    But the award is made for the whole calendar year, not just this season to date.

Calendar year you say?

According to the article below Ronaldo has scored 67 goals this calendar year.

Messi and Ribery have only scored 64 goals combined.

Who is having the best calendar year again?

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2292/editorials/2013/11/23/4426504/in-numbers-cristiano-ronaldos-incredible-2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Bayern were the best team in Europe, but was Ribery a better player than Ronaldo last season? No, he was not.

From January to May I will say yes he was as Bayern took on Juve & Barca who won Serie A & La Liga and picked them apart(the latter brutally so) whereas Real got knocked out by Dortmund & died on their arse in La Liga but Sept to now Ronaldo has undoubtably been much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Calendar year you say?

According to the article below Ronaldo has scored 67 goals this calendar year.

Messi and Ribery have only scored 64 goals combined.

Who is having the best calendar year again?

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2292/editorials/2013/11/23/4426504/in-numbers-cristiano-ronaldos-incredible-2013

Wow he leads by three goals . That's not an awful lot . To me it's Riberys year to win the ballon d'or . He has had an exceptional year and the fact he has 64 goals in a league with the quality of the bundesliga would be the thing that makes him deserving of the ballon d'or this year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Wow he leads by three goals . That's not an awful lot . To me it's Riberys year to win the ballon d'or . He has had an exceptional year and the fact he has 64 goals in a league with the quality of the bundesliga would be the thing that makes him deserving of the ballon d'or this year .

64 combined with Messi.

• Advertisement

Wow, try reading it again.

Advertisement