Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa Ballon d'Or 2013 - discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

64 combined with Messi.

Yeah I realised that after what I posted my reply but I'm still sticking to ribery for the ballon d'or he was the stand out player at Munich this calendar year and they are the best team in Europe right now . Ronaldo has scored a shed load of goals and has been brilliant for Madrid this year . All I know is right now it's between ribery and Ronaldo and no one else .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Wouldn't say Ribey was/is a huge standout in that Bayern side. Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Robben have had a similar impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

For lads quoting goals, there already is a ****ing award for goals it the Golden Boot, Scorer of most goals shouldnt be the be all and end all off the best player award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

astonaidan wrote: »
    For lads quoting goals, there already is a ****ing award for goals it the Golden Boot, Scorer of most goals shouldnt be the be all and end all off the best player award

That may apply if you have a bunch of people scoring 30 goals across a calendar year. Here we are talking about nearly 70, yes 70 across a year and counting. The amount of goals Ronnie and Messi score win endless amount of games for their clubs. That is the most important factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

That may apply if you have a bunch of people scoring 30 goals across a calendar year. Here we are talking about nearly 70, yes 70 across a year and counting. The amount of goals Ronnie and Messi score win endless amount of games for their clubs. That is the most important factor
    By that logic when Cech and Edwin Vandasaar were breaking records they should have been up for player of the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Surely Gareth Bale deserves it based on recent games :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Messi wins, according to an agency that seems to have a credible track record.
    http://www.livesoccertv.com/news/8217/leaked-lionel-messi-wins-ballon-d-or-2013-tweets/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Harsh on Ronaldo if true, but i think most votes were in before the Sweden tie, which swung it for him imo. Other than that Messi has been superior this year.

Harsh on Ronaldo if true, but i think most votes were in before the Sweden tie, which swung it for him imo. Other than that Messi has been superior this year.

So you'd give it to Ronaldo based on the play-off as deciding factor? Two games? Really?

If it's true, then I'm delighted. I've stated since the start of this thread that Messi deserves it. Some people don't appreciate how good he really is.

Edit: Thiago Silva's votes have been released:
    1. Messi
    2. Ibra
    3. Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If thats true, thats an absolute disgrace, Ronaldo has been the best player in 2013 and fully deserves the award!

• Advertisement

So you'd give it to Ronaldo based on the play-off as deciding factor? Two games? Really?

If it's true, then I'm delighted. I've stated since the start of this thread that Messi deserves it. Some people don't appreciate how good he really is.

Edit: Thiago Silva's votes have been released:
    1. Messi
    2. Ibra
    3. Ronaldo

Yeah. It was a huge performance when needed. The type of performance that defines top players. It was that tight between them this year.

Raf32 wrote: »
    If thats true, thats an absolute disgrace, Ronaldo has been the best player in 2013 and fully deserves the award!

Nah, he's finished stronger, but Messi was better all year, until he got injured really.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Most people are saying he is the best because he did well in the playoffs with Portugal. If he was that good Portugal wouldn't be in the playoffs in the first place, like the way Messi led Argentina to qualification out of a much tougher group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Most people are saying he is the best because he did well in the playoffs with Portugal. If he was that good Portugal wouldn't be in the playoffs in the first place, like the way Messi led Argentina to qualification out of a much tougher group

in fairness argentina have higuain, tevez, aguero and di maria to name a few, sad thing is nani is probably portugals second best player

in fairness argentina have higuain, tevez, aguero and di maria to name a few, sad thing is nani is probably portugals second best player

I think Joao Moutinho, Coentrao and Pepe would have something to say about that

Ronaldo is still 10/11 with Betfair and Messi 11/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If pepe is in your shortlist, paul mcshane must be gutted he is not Portuguese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Pepe is way more important to Portugal than Nani

Best player of 2013 scored twice on his return from injury yesterday.

That's Franck Ribéry, (of course).;)

• Advertisement

Interesting to see how big a margin Ribéry had to spare over Messi and Ronaldo in the journos' vote for the UEFA award a few months ago.
    http://www.uefa.org/uefa-best-player-award/season=2013/index.html

marbless wrote: »
    Interesting to see how big a margin Ribéry had to spare over Messi and Ronaldo in the journos' vote for the UEFA award a few months ago.
    http://www.uefa.org/uefa-best-player-award/season=2013/index.html

Then FIFA decided to extend the deadline after Ronaldo's display for Portugal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pity then they had to massage the vote to try to get their man awarded.

If it's true that Messi will win for the 5th time in a row, maybe they should just award him the trophy for the next 10 yrs at the FIFA ceremony...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ronaldo deserves to win it,Messi's had an injury hit season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Down to three!

FIFA BALLON D’OR nominees: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery
    COACH OF THE YEAR (MEN'S) nominees: Sir Alex Ferguson, Jupp Heynckes, Jurgen Klopp
    PUSKAS AWARD nominees: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (v England), Nemanja Matic (v Porto) & Neymar (v Japan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Johner wrote: »
    Down to three!

FIFA BALLON D’OR nominees: Cristiano Ronaldo,
    COACH OF THE YEAR (MEN'S) nominees: Jupp Heynckes
    PUSKAS AWARD nominees: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (v England)

My picks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hope Messi has won it

How come Zlatan's brilliant goal - scored in 2012 - is included in the 2013 Puskas Award?:confused:

Good old FIFA:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

marbless wrote: »
    How come Zlatan's brilliant goal - scored in 2012 - is included in the 2013 Puskas Award?:confused:

Good old FIFA:mad:

Because it was too late to be in the vote for last years and because it was that satisfying

If a player voted before the Portugal Sweden games, can he then change his vote?

I think the Ballon d'Or, based on a calendar year (two half-seasons) rather than one full season, is a bit unfair.

I mean they set a deadline in October (15th, then extended by two weeks), after which performances can't be considered. For example, Suarez at present is in fantastic form, but the voting can't take account of that.

I think the UEFA Best Player of the Season is a better idea. Votes are cast during the Summer, after a complete season of performances has finished, so nobody has an unfair advantage, and all contenders can be assessed on an equal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

OptaBallon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Surely Ronaldo has it this time!

Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

YayaBanana wrote: »

On the basis of those stats Cristiano would be 3rd. But this won't be voted on stats it will be voted on sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

mitosis wrote: »
    On the basis of those stats Cristiano would be 3rd. But this won't be voted on stats it will be voted on sympathy.

Thats a pretty insane post.

He would be 3rd alright, if he wasnt a clear winner on them!

kryogen wrote: »
    Thats a pretty insane post.

He would be 3rd alright, if he wasnt a clear winner on them!

Well hes certaintly behind Messi when you average the stats out with minutes played

Well hes certaintly behind Messi when you average the stats out with minutes played

He played 11 more games, roughly 1200 more minutes, (1196) showing how much of an ever present he was in the side, a freak of nature when it comes to injury and he can not be punished for his consistency. Its a POTY award, not a POTY if everybody played the same number of minutes as the guy who played the least.

He scored 24 more goals, has the same number of assists, created 24 more chances, won like 130 more duels, defensively he was better making more tackles and with a higher % rating

More blocks, absolutely dwarfs him in terms of times he cleared the ball from his own area illustrating how important he was to the team both in attack and defence.

Its ok that one year Messi was not the best in the world, the only competition Ronnie has is Ribery, he has a genuine case. Had a brilliant year personally and his team was about as successful as you can be on the field.

You can average out minutes played if you like, but you really should take into account that availability to actually play is not a negative. It is a positive and should not be treated as a negative. If Messi had played the same amount of minutes he may have more goals etc then Ronnie, he may have made up the 20+ goal difference and he may not, he would have needed a goal every 47 minutes to pass him, not out of the question for Messi but the fact is he didnt. Ronaldo was ever present for his team, that goes in the + column for him, he shouldnt be punished for staying injury free. Its a POTY award, not a comparison to who is more effective with their minutes on the pitch award anyway!

It wont go 100% on stats anyway so its a bit of a non issue. As I said, Ribery is the one with a genuine case in this, its tight between him and Ronaldo for me, with Messi coming 3rd. Not because they are better players then him in terms of ability week in week out, but they had better seasons. It comes down to what you rank as more important, Ribery wasnt as good as an individual as Ronaldo imo, but he did contribute heavily to his teams unbelievable season and took home a huge trophy haul.

I was backing Ribery before the WC qualifier. Ronaldo dragging his country through has swung it toward him though. Neither would be a bad choice for the award. I would pick Ronaldo for personal reasons I suppose, he is one of my favorite players and is so unlucky to be playing in the same era as probably the GOAT. He deserves to have his talent recognised if he outshines him. He lost one Ballon D'or to Messi that I felt he should have won anyway, possibly two, but one for sure. Was funny though to hear FIFA say one year that it was an individual award (when Ronaldos team wont the league but Messi had better stats) and the next year say it had to take team honors into account (when Ronaldo arguably had a better year individually)

Either man would be a worthy winner but I hope Ronaldo gets it

For that year alone, Messi does not make the top 2 though. Thats ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Haha, yea but i mean did you see that guy in league one who played for 2 games and scored 18 goals surely if he played all year he was a shoe in.......rediculous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

lol at some Messi fan boys thinking Ronaldo doesn't deserve it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Going by those stats I'd pick Ribery, all round he was better.

Ya I was thinking the same. Some amount of chances created

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Delighted Ronaldo won it,deserved it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

what a night for Ronaldo

Bd5HkFGIEAAgKjD.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Ribery was the best player this year! How he did not get it is crazy! Football is gone mad, giving it to, the less of the 2 Ronaldo``s!

Ribery defo deserved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Anybody who believes Ribery deserved this over Ronaldo is crazy. Ronaldo scored three times a smany goals as him for heaven's sake. Madness. Riery had an excellent year but in the era of Ronaldo/Messi, that's just nowhere near good enough unfortunately for him. The standard should not be dropped merely so someone different wins the award and breaks the monopoly of the two clearly best player player sin the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Ribery was the best player this year! How he did not get it is crazy! Football is gone mad, giving it to, the less of the 2 Ronaldo``s!

Ribery defo deserved it!

Who are you trying to convince, you? or, us?

What exact criteria are you using to decide this.

What stats will you include and why, what will you leave out and why?

Also, how important do you think each particular stat you use is in relation to the others

eg, "goals scored are obviously x times more important when judging this then dribbles completed" etc will do

deadeye187 wrote: »

Ribery defo deserved it!

You are confusing Ribery had made a good case for himself, with Ribery was the best player in the world in 2013.

He made a good case, but ultimately Ronaldo was better. Dunno why some cant just give credit where it is due, jealousy is such an ugly thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement