Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa Ballon d'Or 2013 - discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

There's no denying that Ronaldo is a brilliant player, to claim otherwise is ridiculous but, to me, this was a victory by default. Messi's injuries, coupled with FIFA's curious decision to push back the voting deadline to facilitate public opinion turning in favour of Ronaldo following his heroics in getting Portugal to the World Cup and finally the simple fact that I can't shake that belief that a player who cost 80 million pound main man playing in one of the most expensively assembled teams in the history of football, at a club with, arguably, the greatest resources of any in the world, should be declared the best player in the world in a season in which his team won nothing seems somewhat hollow.

There's no denying Ronaldo's talents but, for me, Messi remains in a league of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

But ultimately, Ronaldo was the better player in 2013 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

There's no denying that Ronaldo is a brilliant player, to claim otherwise is ridiculous but, to me, this was a victory by default. Messi's injuries, coupled with FIFA's curious decision to push back the voting deadline to facilitate public opinion turning in favour of Ronaldo following his heroics in getting Portugal to the World Cup and finally the simple fact that I can't shake that belief that a player who cost 80 million pound main man playing in one of the most expensively assembled teams in the history of football, at a club with, arguably, the greatest resources of any in the world, should be declared the best player in the world in a season in which his team won nothing seems somewhat hollow.

There's no denying Ronaldo's talents but, for me, Messi remains in a league of his own.

tumblr_l9i3ucVqLV1qc073co1_400.gif

"Cristiano Ronaldo has emerged as the favourite to win FIFA's prestigious Ballon d'Or award over rival Lionel Messi following the surprise decision to extend the voting deadline" - Opening paragraph from an article published in the Daily Mail.

Anyway like I said, it's no big deal. Barcelona, led by Messi, captured La Liga with a record equalling number of points, this season once again it's Messi's Barcelona who sit above Ronaldo's Real Madrid in the table. Ronaldo, bought for a world record fee to be the one to deliver European glory, hasn't done it for them. He's won one league title and one Copa Del Rey, as Messi's Barcelona have dominated the era. Sour grapes? Bitter? No, these are facts. As I said, a default win which still looks somewhat dubious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

"Cristiano Ronaldo has emerged as the favourite to win FIFA's prestigious Ballon d'Or award over rival Lionel Messi following the surprise decision to extend the voting deadline" - Opening paragraph from an article published in the Daily Mail.

Anyway like I said, it's no big deal. Barcelona, led by Messi, captured La Liga with a record equalling number of points, this season once again it's Messi's Barcelona who sit above Ronaldo's Real Madrid in the table. Ronaldo, bought for a world record fee to be the one to deliver European glory, hasn't done it for them. He's won one league title and one Copa Del Rey, as Messi's Barcelona have dominated the era. Sour grapes? Bitter? No, these are facts. As I said, a default win which still looks somewhat dubious.

Eh, yeah, until the delay in the voting Ribery was being heavily tipped to win it.

That Ronaldo v Messi is the better angle to sell papers is hardly earth shattering but Ribery was in the lead until the delay in general

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11890/8998160/bayern-munich-winger-franck-ribery-emerges-as-the-punters-favourite-for-ballon-dor

kryogen wrote: »
    Eh, yeah, until the delay in the voting Ribery was being heavily tipped to win it.

Voting shows that Messi beat Ribery, unless you are suggesting that there was a sudden upswing in votes for the injured Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Voting shows that Messi beat Ribery, unless you are suggesting that there was a sudden upswing in votes for the injured Messi.

Or ribery voters changing to ronaldo.....

Or ribery voters changing to ronaldo.....

Then give it to Ribery, personally I'd find that more acceptable if he had more votes in the originally stated voting period and also because his team were the best team in Europe last season and actually won things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Messi hasn't scored in La Liga since the end of September against Almeria
    of course he has been injured since November but he wasn't as good in 2013 as he was in 2011 & 2012

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Cant believe Luis Suarez wasnt even nominated

Hey you are the one who tried to make out like Messi was in the lead in popular opinion. Which he clearly wasnt.

I would also wager that a few of the guys who would have been voting Ribery switched to Ronaldo after the delay.

No suggestion, nor any need for an upswing in Messi votes, but a downswing in Ribery ones resulting in an upswing for Ronaldo votes seems to have done the business alright.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Messi hasn't scored in La Liga since the end of September against Almeria
    of course he has been injured since November but he wasn't as good in 2013 as he was in 2011 & 2012

To be fair though we know that, that was a half fit Messi, almost a shadow Messi and his scoring record in 2013 was still incredible and, like I said, his Barcelona won La Liga and his Barcelona sit top of the league.

Cant believe Luis Suarez wasnt even nominated

Seriously?

You really cant believe it?

I dont believe that

Hey you are the one who tried to make out like Messi was in the lead in popular opinion. Which he clearly wasnt.

I would also wager that a few of the guys who would have been voting Ribery switched to Ronaldo after the delay.

No suggestion, nor any need for an upswing in Messi votes, but a downswing in Ribery ones resulting in an upswing for Ronaldo votes seems to have done the business alright.

As I said above, then give it to Ribery. Personally I found Messi and Ribery more deserving candidates of the award.

To be fair though we know that, that was a half fit Messi, almost a shadow Messi and his scoring record in 2013 was still incredible and, like I said, his Barcelona won La Liga and his Barcelona sit top of the league.

The need to find excuses is a bit sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Didn't Messi win it last year even though he didn't win any trophies with Barca?

As I said above, then give it to Ribery. Personally I found Messi and Ribery more deserving candidates of the award.

I bet the world is shocked at that revelation

You are trying to deflect away from your original point that the delay gave Ronaldo the edge over Messi, which was inaccurate. Keep going, you might get there

You went on a eulogy about Messi, you cannot acknowledge that Ronaldo was better then him which says more about you then you would like perhaps? Now you want to say Ribery would have been a more deserving candidate (along with Messi of course) still completely unwilling to applaud a worthy winner.

Like I said, pretty sad.

The greatest injustice in it is Ribery getting screwed out of 2nd place, which he fully deserved.

The need to find excuses is a bit sad.

The need to pretend that Ronaldo deserves the award beyond doubt, when I've put forward the voting extension and the fact that his club, arguably the biggest club in the world, won nothing, is even more sad.

However continuing this conversation would be even sadder still, I've made my points and, in any case, I've no doubt that at the business end of this season Messi will prove again why he's the greatest player of his generation, probably the greatest player ever.

brevity wrote: »
    Didn't Messi win it last year even though he didn't win any trophies with Barca?

The year before, it was funny actually when you take into consideration FIFA's thoughts on the matter

The need to pretend that Ronaldo deserves the award beyond doubt, when I've put forward the voting extension and the fact that his club, arguably the biggest club in the world, won nothing, is even more sad.

However continuing this conversation would be even sadder still, I've made my points and, in any case, I've no doubt that at the business end of this season Messi will prove again why he's the greatest player of his generation, probably the greatest player ever.

This is the part where you are unable to concede any measure of defeat and slither away

Ronaldo was the best player in 2013, get over it. I have already acknowledged how strong of a case Ribery had, and without the internationals he would have probably won it, Ronaldo stepping up to the plate and dragging his country to a World Cup deservedly turned it around for him since it had been so close.

I like your point about the voting extension, people should not be voting on the best player of the year so far before the year is over. Hopefully it will stay like this in future, much fairer.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »

1 Copa Del Rey, which is 1 Copa Del Rey more than Ronaldo this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

its an individual award
    Ronaldo scored the most goals ever in a calender year in the CL
    Messi was great against the lesser teams & didn't score much against the top teams in 2013
    Ribery just isnt as good as Ronaldo & Messi
    your Barcelona bias is embarrasing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Consistently the best player of 2013 won and is well deserved.

Can't wait for Suarez to win it next year :D

And by the way Real Madrid paid a world record fee for a player that didn't even make the FIFA team of the year......well done there lads.

MD1990 wrote: »
    its an individual award
    Ronaldo scored the most goals ever in a calender year in the CL
    Messi was great against the lesser teams & didn't score much against the top teams in 2013
    Ribery just isnt as good as Ronaldo & Messi
    your Barcelona bias is embarrasing tbh

It is an individual award and maybe my expectations are too high, I simply expect that the 80 million pound player bought by the biggest club in the world, whose had an all-star team built around him at an eye-watering cost, would have delivered in Europe by now, or at least would have won something in a season. As I said, maybe my expectations are too high but, for me, the great players, the really great players, can elevate a team, can grab hold of a big game and power their team onto success and trophies, to me that's what makes a great player. It's entirely possible that I've grown too accustomed to Lionel Messi doing exactly that, indeed my expectations must be too high.

Madrid are nuts though :)

Suarez continues 2014 like he ended 2013 without getting himself into trouble along the way and he will have a serious crack at it I think

It is an individual award and maybe my expectations are too high, I simply expect that the 80 million pound player bought by the biggest club in the world, whose had an all-star team built around him at an eye-watering cost, would have delivered in Europe by now, or at least would have won something in a season. As I said, maybe my expectations are too high but, for me, the great players, the really great players, can elevate a team, can grab hold of a big game and power their team onto success and trophies, to me that's what makes a great player. It's entirely possible that I've grown too accustomed to Lionel Messi doing exactly that, indeed my expectations must be too high.

You do a disservice to players like Xavi and Iniesta with comments like that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Madrid are nuts though :)

Suarez continues 2014 like he ended 2013 without getting himself into trouble along the way and he will have a serious crack at it I think

Whoever makes the biggest impact at the World Cup will have a big say in it, its usually that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's an INDIVIDUAL award.

Liverpool likely wont win a trophy this season.

Doesn't mean Suarez isn't the best player in the league by a mile. He's a level above anyone else in the league.

Ronaldo's performances merited the prize. What his team did is largely irrelevant imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It's an INDIVIDUAL award.

Liverpool likely wont win a trophy this season.

Doesn't mean Suarez isn't the best player in the league by a mile. He's a level above anyone else in the league.

Ronaldo's performances merited the prize. What his team did is largely irrelevant imo.

Yeh but if Suarez was at a team like City, like Ronaldo is with Madrid, he would make them win titles.Ronaldo didn't do that last season. Albeit, he had an outstanding season individually and deserved the award, I think as a team they under performed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Team Messi are like those nutty One Direction or Twilight fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Team Messi are like those nutty One Direction or Twilight fans

Yeh cause Team Ronaldo are just perfect... Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I supported Messi winning it in previous years. But not this year. The right man took the award.

It was also nice and refreshing to see the human side to him when he accepted his award, in contrast to the persona we see on the pitch and elsewhere.

Well done to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I don't think Ronaldo deserved the award. Messi is by far the better player in my opinion. Ronaldo is a world class goal scorer, only second to Messi, but that's where the comparisons with Messi, and him being world class, end. Messi is on another level altogether. He's a playmaker amongst everything else. Ronaldo isn't . Take away Ronaldos goals and his onfield general play is average at best. Unlike Messi, he's never found in the (rarely if he ever is) center of the field opening up a defense with a through ball. Nor is he ever found drifting into the center like Messi spreading passes, dictating play, controlling the tempo of the game using his awareness, creativity, vision and a footballing brain. He's found high up on the wing just outside the box, waiting to sprint into the box at any opportunity to get as many goals as he can for his own personal glory. That's why he hasn't, and never will, lead Madrid to a Champions League. If they do win one, it won't be down to him, although I'm sure he'll lend a helpful hand goal wise. That's why Messi is on a completely different playing field to Ronaldo. He has far more dimensions to his game outside scoring goals, which make a genuine comparisons with him and Ronaldo laughable.

And yet I keep hearing Ronaldo should have won because of his goals. So Gerd Muller is better than Maradona and Johan Cruyff because he scored more goals? ? Good one. Due to the gaping flaws in Ronaldo's game, his fan boys tend to hide behind his goals ratio, even though in their career totals, Messi is only 30 or so goals behind, despite playing 150 or so games less. So to any of Ronaldo's fan boys chiming on about how he deserved it because of his goals, I'll guess you'll accept Messi is the better player overall??? Funnily enough I doubt it somehow.

And for the rubbish about how Ronaldo is more of a "complete player", I guess you'll accept John O'Shea is better than Ronaldo then? Well he has played in nearly every position. Terrible argument to one up Ronaldo on Messi. And as for Ronaldo's famous "pace and strength", the lad rarely beats his man one on one. He tends to be on the wing and knocks the ball ahead of himself to the corner flag and swings it in, while rarely actually being able to beat his man. Let's get Usain Bolt in if it's pace we want. It's about you're pace and dribbling skills ON the ball, in which case Ronaldos abilities are non-existent compared to Messi's. And don't get me started on his long shots and freekicks. Ye when he scores one they are scorchers. But whats his conversion ratio with them? It's abysmal, that's what it is. I heard it was something like one goal every 30 attempts or so. How much possession does he waste on long shots he fcuks into Row Z that could have been recycled had he an ounce of a football brain? Same with his free kicks.

As I said, Ronaldo's a world class goal scorer. But when the technical side of his game is pitted against the greats he comes up very short. He never grabs the game by the scruff of the neck in the center of the field and forces it on the opposition. Tends to be anonymous when there's pressure on his team in big games while Alonso, Kheidre, Ramos and the others are busting a gut trying to get up and down the field to make something happen and are getting stuck in. I couldn't believe his attitude in the two legs against Bayern in 2012. Scored two goals early on, yet for the rest of the game just sauntered around anonymously while Madrid were being bombarded. Although when he isn't scoring, that's what he always tends to do. Hey maybe it's just me who doesn't see it with Ronaldo and that's fine, but for what it's worth he has a hell of a long way to go to be considered world class in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The award is awarded to the best player in 2013, which was Ronaldo, pretty simple I'd have thought :)

Who the better player is in general has nothing to do with this thread

Big long winded, pretty irrelevant post

Thats great and all, and thanks for sharing, but since the award is for the best player in a specific year and not who is the best player overall that was kind of a pointless post wasnt it?

Dunno why this has to be spelled out so much but hell, Ill keep repeating it anytime I need to

Ronaldo was the best player in the world in 2013, he deserved the award.

Best in the world. That year.

Edit: As an aside, your attempts to belittle how good a player Ronnie is makes me feel embarrassed for you.

Thats great and all, and thanks for sharing, but since the award is for the best player in a specific year and not who is the best player overall that was kind of a pointless post wasnt it?

Dunno why this has to be spelled out so much but hell, Ill keep repeating it anytime I need to

Ronaldo was the best player in the world in 2013, he deserved the award.

Best in the world. That year.

Edit: As an aside, your attempts to belittle how good a player Ronnie is makes me feel embarrassed for you.

You do realise every point I made also applies to 2013? As for when I mentioned their career goals, it was to highlight the hypocrisy of Ronaldo fan boys in relation to the goals he scored this year, while not applying the same logic across the board.

Great reply though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't think Ronaldo deserved the award. Messi is by far the better player in my opinion. Ronaldo is a world class goal scorer, only second to Messi, but that's where the comparisons with Messi, and him being world class, end. Messi is on another level altogether. He's a playmaker amongst everything else. Ronaldo isn't . Take away Ronaldos goals and his onfield general play is average at best. Unlike Messi, he's never found in the (rarely if he ever is) center of the field opening up a defense with a through ball. Nor is he ever found drifting into the center like Messi spreading passes, dictating play, controlling the tempo of the game using his awareness, creativity, vision and a footballing brain. He's found high up on the wing just outside the box, waiting to sprint into the box at any opportunity to get as many goals as he can for his own personal glory. That's why he hasn't, and never will, lead Madrid to a Champions League. If they do win one, it won't be down to him, although I'm sure he'll lend a helpful hand goal wise. That's why Messi is on a completely different playing field to Ronaldo. He has far more dimensions to his game outside scoring goals, which make a genuine comparisons with him and Ronaldo laughable.

And yet I keep hearing Ronaldo should have won because of his goals. So Gerd Muller is better than Maradona and Johan Cruyff because he scored more goals? ? Good one. Due to the gaping flaws in Ronaldo's game, his fan boys tend to hide behind his goals ratio, even though in their career totals, Messi is only 30 or so goals behind, despite playing 150 or so games less. So to any of Ronaldo's fan boys chiming on about how he deserved it because of his goals, I'll guess you'll accept Messi is the better player overall??? Funnily enough I doubt it somehow.

And for the rubbish about how Ronaldo is more of a "complete player", I guess you'll accept John O'Shea is better than Ronaldo then? Well he has played in nearly every position. Terrible argument to one up Ronaldo on Messi. And as for Ronaldo's famous "pace and strength", the lad rarely beats his man one on one. He tends to be on the wing and knocks the ball ahead of himself to the corner flag and swings it in, while rarely actually being able to beat his man. Let's get Usain Bolt in if it's pace we want. It's about you're pace and dribbling skills ON the ball, in which case Ronaldos abilities are non-existent compared to Messi's. And don't get me started on his long shots and freekicks. Ye when he scores one they are scorchers. But whats his conversion ratio with them? It's abysmal, that's what it is. I heard it was something like one goal every 30 attempts or so. How much possession does he waste on long shots he fcuks into Row Z that could have been recycled had he an ounce of a football brain? Same with his free kicks.

As I said, Ronaldo's a world class goal scorer. But when the technical side of his game is pitted against the greats he comes up very short. He never grabs the game by the scruff of the neck in the center of the field and forces it on the opposition. Tends to be anonymous when there's pressure on his team in big games while Alonso, Kheidre, Ramos and the others are busting a gut trying to get up and down the field to make something happen and are getting stuck in. I couldn't believe his attitude in the two legs against Bayern in 2012. Scored two goals early on, yet for the rest of the game just sauntered around anonymously while Madrid were being bombarded. Although when he isn't scoring, that's what he always tends to do. Hey maybe it's just me who doesn't see it with Ronaldo and that's fine, but for what it's worth he has a hell of a long way to go to be considered world class in my opinion

You don't think Ronaldo is world class? Christ! Pull the other one!

I've a severe dislike to Ronaldo but he deserved this. He may have only gotten it because Messi was injured but that's the way it goes, he was injured and Ronaldo, in 2013, was the better player, simples!

You do realise every point I made also applies to 2013? As for when I mentioned their career goals, it was to highlight the hypocrisy of Ronaldo fan boys in relation to the goals he scored this year, while not applying the same logic across the board.

Great reply though

Every point you made applies to 2013? Thats great, your post is not only irrelevant in the main, but now since you want to tack that on it is wrong too.

Sweet jesus I just spotted where you dont think Ronaldo is world class!

laughingfacepalm.jpg

good-stuff.jpg

• Advertisement

Every point you made applies to 2013? Thats great, your post is not only irrelevant in the main, but now since you want to tack that on it is wrong too.

good-stuff.jpg

I went through different parts of his game. How doesn't that apply to 2013 pray tell? You may also find various clues in the fact that the figures 2-0-1-3 were also mentioned several times in my original post

I went through different parts of his game. How doesn't that apply to 2013 pray tell? You may also find various clues in the fact that the figures 2-0-1-3 were also mentioned several times in my original post

Several mentions of 2013 eh?

Tell you what, point out one of them to me and I owe you a coke

Facepalm-53110262622.jpeg

(This level of failure is brilliant :))

Read that last line again, its fantastic! He has a hell of a long way to go to be considered world class in your opinion :)

Brilliant!!!

I know now you are on the wind up, but still, great effort being made

Its very clear you were saying Messi should have won it because he is the better player overall, ignoring that Ronaldo was better that year, this is highlighted with your comments regarding Muller and Cryuff, and in other parts, like when you fail to address a year at all, more just bang on about how Messi is a better player and how Ronaldo isnt world class :)

You have given me a great laugh with your waffle and your hilarious lies but I have to head to the leaba now.

Several mentions of 2013 eh?

Tell you what, point out one of them to me and I owe you a coke

Facepalm-53110262622.jpeg

(This level of failure is brilliant :))

Read that last line again, its fantastic! He has a hell of a long way to go to be considered world class in your opinion :)

Brilliant!!!

I know now you are on the wind up, but still, great effort being made

Fair enough, it's 3 o'clock, wasn't really arsed rereading my post. But everything is applicable to 2013 and was in reference to 2013 as the thread is about 2013, unless it blatantly obvious where I was pointing out a flaw in his game like against Bayern, which also applies to the big games in 2013, namely v Dortmund, or pointing out hypocrisy about the logic of his goals not being applied across the board. Tell me how aren't his character traits not applicable to 2013? But, fair enough i didn't mention 2013, so keep up the condescending sneering, while failing to actually reply to any of the points

Its very clear you were saying Messi should have won it because he is the better player overall, ignoring that Ronaldo was better that year, this is highlighted with your comments regarding Muller and Cryuff, and in other parts, like when you fail to address a year at all, more just bang on about how Messi is a better player and how Ronaldo isnt world class :)

You have given me a great laugh with your waffle and your hilarious lies but I have to head to the leaba now.

That's what you picked up from the Muller and Cryuff reference? Really? That was a reference to people banging on about how he deserved it THIS YEAR because of the goals he got, so automatically he must be the best as he scored the most goals. People using the goals argument is a very flawed logic, hence why I gave the example I did genius. When it's applied elsewhere it doesn't actually hold up to much scrutiny. If that went over your head I guess the whole post did, so I guess it's a futile exercise continuing to "debate" with you. But hey I never mentioned 2013, so you must have won this exchange, despite not actually addressing anything. So fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only just seen team of year.

lol at Xavi getting ahead of Vidal and Schweinsteiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Voting system is a joke. Madrid/barca/Spain has the popular rep. Unfortunate but that's how the perspective is. It will take a few years lag for that to change. Only when they're blatantly not top tier anymore will they drop. One year wouldn't change that, for lack of better term, stereotype.

Having said that my midfielders would have been busquets and schiewny. Thought they were remarkable even when playing with injuries. I wouldn't have iniesta or xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jernal wrote: »
    Having said that my midfielders would have been busquets and schiewny. Thought they were remarkable even when playing with injuries. I wouldn't have iniesta or xavi.

Would have had no problem seeing Busquets in that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

As i said on another thread, lets see Vidal do it at a higher level than Serie A before we all start sucking him off.

On the main award, it seems some fans spend more time looking at stats than watching actual football matches. Seen a lot of both players in 2013 and Messi was clearly still better at playing football but considering the injuries that didn't really translate to the stats. All in all very close this year and you couldn't complain too much if it went to either guy. Unless you're one of those weird fanboys of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

@Kryogen

You need to relax a small bit with the Ronaldo love in.

But Ronaldo definitely deserved it. I've read a lot about him recently and seen a lot of interviews. He seems like a genuinely nice lad, if not a bit emotional. Happy for him to win it. And his girlfriend is magic!

hefferboi wrote: »
    @Kryogen

You need to relax a small bit with the Ronaldo love in.

But Ronaldo definitely deserved it. I've read a lot about him recently and seen a lot of interviews. He seems like a genuinely nice lad, if not a bit emotional. Happy for him to win it. And his girlfriend is magic!

I fail to see any post where I have gone overboard with man love

I have not said anything in fact other then he was a deserving winner and he was the best in the world in 2013, hardly over the top statements so not exactly sure what your on about tbh

If you mean I should not reply to people who post rubbish thats a different matter altogether

• Advertisement
Advertisement