Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa Ballon d'Or 2013 - discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lads it's over, he won. What is with all the arguing? Ronaldo is a ****ing phenom, we will most likely never see 2 players at this kind of level ever again so who really cares who wins this award between him and Messi? They are both so far ahead of the rest it's just silly. Let's just enjoy both of them instead of willy waving over which one is better.

Now here, we're talking about their ability on the pitch. I don't think we really care about their willy performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Can we not just realise that one guy posting at 3 in the morning every day is sleep deprived and thus his opinion has to be really questionable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

astonaidan wrote: »
    Can we not just realise that one guy posting at 3 in the morning every day is sleep deprived and thus his opinion has to be really questionable

Or he doesn't live in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Lads it's over, he won. What is with all the arguing? Ronaldo is a ****ing phenom, we will most likely never see 2 players at this kind of level ever again so who really cares who wins this award between him and Messi? They are both so far ahead of the rest it's just silly. Let's just enjoy both of them instead of willy waving over which one is better.

We're seeing it with Suarez. Has a long way to go to match them for consistency though, granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We're seeing it with Suarez. Has a long way to go to match them for consistency though, granted.

Suarez has to do what he's done this last calendar year for another 2 years to be considered in Messi and Ronaldo's league.

and that's no slight on Suarez whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

At least

SlickRic wrote: »
    Suarez has to do what he's done this last calendar year for another 2 years to be considered in Messi and Ronaldo's league.

and that's no slight on Suarez whatsoever.

Thanks for pretty much repeating my post back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If both stay relativity free from injury and have decent World Cups I can see Suarez and Aguero being in contention for top 3 next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ronaldo has dragged teams to numerous trophies.

Ronaldo is top tier, end of.

Dragged teams? You'd swear the players around him weren't world class... To say he dragged them is outrageous. He is top tier absolutly. But the other 10 players are by no means sh1t. He'll be lucky if Madrid win a trophy again this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The questioning of Pele's standing within the game took the biscuit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Dragged teams? You'd swear the players around him weren't world class... To say he dragged them is outrageous. He is top tier absolutly. But the other 10 players are by no means sh1t. He'll be lucky if Madrid win a trophy again this year

You realise that had you not quoted that guy nobody would have known if this post referred to Messi or Ronaldo? In fact, I would argue that the Barcelona 10 are quite a bit better than RM's 10 and have been for the past 3 years.

Regarding winning a trophy, RM are 3 points behind Barcelona and Atletico. They have Schalke in the CL whereas Barcelona have City. I really don't see why you don't think they can win anything.

Is it any more outrageous then the claim that Messi dragged Barcelona to glory? Which was the reason for the riposte

kryogen wrote: »
    Is it any more outrageous then the claim that Messi dragged Barcelona to glory? Which was the reason for the riposte

I don't believe either dragged their team. Both teams are world class. The likes of Di Maria Benzema, and well Ozil last year are hardly brutal. Yeh barcas team may be better over all. But look at City V United last season on Paper city could of walked that league, yet United won. 1 player might influence the team more absolutly. But if I'm sure if you looked at Assists to Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Marias will be quite high. The fact that Real Madrid spent so much money in summer and are 3 points behind is an embarrassment in itself. I can't see them beating any top European side, and personally can't see them finishing top of La Liga, the way Atl, are playing they have more of a chance, and fixtures suit Barca/Atl rather than Madrid

I don't believe either dragged their team. Both teams are world class.

Your issue would be with posters like AIG and, whatever the others guys name is who thinks C Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Maldini etc are/were not world class

Of course both teams are brilliant, and both players are too.

Your issue would be with posters like AIG and, whatever the others guys name is who thinks C Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Maldini etc are/were not world class

Of course both teams are brilliant, and both players are too.

Sounds about right. Did Ronaldo deserve the Ballon D'or? Absolutely. Do I think Messi would of won it had he not been injured? Debatable,nobody will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

No

There is only one chap here who has said Ronaldo isnt world class.

That is not a divide, that is a lone nut :)

I compared the lad to Gerd Muller and said he's a world class striker. Hard to give a striker a bigger compliment. But don't let that get in the way of you crying about me not calling him world class.

As for Dempsey, what have you seen of Pele?

I compared the lad to Gerd Muller and said he's a world class striker. Hard to give a striker a bigger compliment. But don't let that get in the way of you crying about me not calling him world class.

As for Dempsey, what have you seen of Pele?

I saw him in that Escape to Victory documentary once, the man scored a screamer of a bicycle kick with a broken arm! Its no wonder he got the Ballon d'Or Prix d'Honneur.

Or he doesn't live in Ireland?
    Christ youd think Id have thought off that being over and back to Sydney :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

he has a hell of a long way to go to be considered world class in my opinion
    Thats why I rate him as a world class striker. Gerd Muller level

I think you need to make up your own mind before you challenge others.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    I think you need to make up your own mind before you challenge others.

He is world class for what he does which is score goals. The rest of his game isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I saw him in that Escape to Victory documentary once, the man scored a screamer of a bicycle kick with a broken arm! Its no wonder he got the Ballon d'Or Prix d'Honneur.

You saw just the one clip then?

You saw just the one clip then?

:rolleyes:

I've watched alot of past greats of the game. You seem to be wilfully ignorant of football history and I'm not bothered trying to educate someone thats happier not knowing. Also I do not care one bit for your opinion on football players going by some of the nonsense you've posted in this thread. The discussion has turned into a farce really.

/unsubscribes

Dempsey wrote: »

I've watched alot of past greats of the game. You seem to be wilfully ignorant of football history and I'm not bothered trying to educate someone thats happier not knowing. Also I do not care one bit for your opinion on football players going by some of the nonsense you've posted in this thread. The discussion has turned into a farce really.

/unsubscribes

I'm not willfully ignorant of football history, I just haven't seen alot of Pele, so couldn't personally gauge where I'd have him as an all time great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Alexander the Great ruled a lot of the world once, but then again how do I know, I never saw him make a party political broadcast on television.

• Advertisement

I'm not willfully ignorant of football history, I just haven't seen alot of Pele, so couldn't personally gauge where I'd have him as an all time great.

Just check his stats, that's how most people gauge these things nowadays.

He is world class for what he does which is score goals. The rest of his game isn't

Hes not world class

He is world class

He is not world class, but is a world class striker............

blog-hole.jpg

Kinda like the way Buffon is world class for the saves he makes, but the rest off his game isnt, he hasnt scored a goal in ages!
    Come clean your the Cardiff owner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Corholio wrote: »
    Alexander the Great ruled a lot of the world once, but then again how do I know, I never saw him make a party political broadcast on television.
    The Nuremberg rallies alone put Hitler in the world class dictator category. Hard to judge Alexander without similar footage.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liam O wrote: »
    The Nuremberg rallies alone put Hitler in the world class dictator category. Hard to judge Alexander without similar footage.
    That is one of the most impressive Godwins I've ever seen.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I agree he is an average goalkeeper at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I agree he is an average goalkeeper at best

He is definitely a world class player, but the fact that UEFA changed the voting for no reason, and the canvassing that Ronaldo did was a bit much. I can't remember anyone else ever canvassing for the Ballon D'or before, certainly in the last 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

jzG7zNP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

jzG7zNP.jpg

I was very distracted at the fact 'Difference' was spelt wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

jzG7zNP.jpg

That's almost more believable than some of the stuff written in the last few pages of this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

He is definitely a world class player, but the fact that UEFA changed the voting for no reason, and the canvassing that Ronaldo did was a bit much. I can't remember anyone else ever canvassing for the Ballon D'or before, certainly in the last 10-15 years.

Franck Ribery did too apparently. You've a short memory.

So how exactly did they canvass for votes?

It seems someone mentioned it and other as are regurgitating and exaggerating it to use in an argument against Ronaldo.

This thread has been comedy gold for the last few pages - bitter folk going to great lengths to manufacture points to argue against Ronaldo's deserved win only to find they're contradicting themselves and basically making themselves look stupid.

Keep it up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ronaldo has dragged teams to numerous trophies.
    He has only won one La Liga title and one Copa Del Rey in 4 years at Real. Miserable trophy haul considering Real are the biggest club in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think Ronaldo deserved it this year, but has it been confirmed/denied that the quote from the Qatar captain was true or not? On mobile now, but he said that himself and the other two Qatar votes were asked/told by Blatter to put Ronaldo first to help repair Blatter's image and relationship with Ronaldo. Just another one to add to the list for Blatter really if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

I read that Ronnie is buying the RM physio's brand new cars as a thank you for keeping him fit. Class act.

Arrow. wrote: »
    Franck Ribery did too apparently. You've a short memory.

So how exactly did they canvass for votes?

It seems someone mentioned it and other as are regurgitating and exaggerating it to use in an argument against Ronaldo.

This thread has been comedy gold for the last few pages - bitter folk going to great lengths to manufacture points to argue against Ronaldo's deserved win only to find they're contradicting themselves and basically making themselves look stupid.

Keep it up! :)

45,000 Ronaldo masks, and a huge Ballon D'or banner against Galatasaray to push his chances of getting votes, telling interviewers/anyone who would listen that there is a spot in the Ronaldo museum (that he set up himself) for another Ballon D'or and how great it would be to get this years. Stuff like that.

Hadn't heard anything about Ribery canvassing, what did he do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

45,000 Ronaldo masks, and a huge Ballon D'or banner against Galatasaray to push his chances of getting votes

Did Ronaldo pay for those? or were they his idea? Did Ronaldo even know about them?

telling interviewers/anyone who would listen that there is a spot in the Ronaldo museum (that he set up himself) for another Ballon D'or and how great it would be to get this years. Stuff like that.

Do you have multiple sources for this claim? How many interviews did he say this in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

45,000 Ronaldo masks, and a huge Ballon D'or banner against Galatasaray to push his chances of getting votes, telling interviewers/anyone who would listen that there is a spot in the Ronaldo museum (that he set up himself) for another Ballon D'or and how great it would be to get this years. Stuff like that.

Hadn't heard anything about Ribery canvassing, what did he do??

Done by the fans, nothing to do with Ronaldo...

A player saying how great it would be to win the Player of The Year, Jesus thats shocking :rolleyes:

Oh dear

I'm sure captains and coaches of international teams are swayed by fans wearing a mask of a player at games..

And for argument sake lets leave out the small matter of him not having anything to do with said masks..

Oh dear

I'm sure captains and coaches of international teams are swayed by fans wearing a mask of a player at games..

And for argument sake lets leave out the small matter of him not having anything to do with said masks..

Of course he didn't. Real decided to do it without consulting him. :rolleyes:

I don't remember them doing it for the Real Ronaldo or Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Of course he didn't. Real decided to do it without consulting him. :rolleyes:

I don't remember them doing it for the Real Ronaldo or Zidane.

You mean the worse Ronaldo? (Not a slight)

Liam O wrote: »
    You mean the worse Ronaldo? (Not a slight)

No, they had 45,000 masks for him. Keep up, its what we are debating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Cristiano has a long way to go if he's to be compared to Brazilian Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hmmm

Brazilian Ronaldo

Career Apps 518 Goals 312
    Madrid Apps 177 Goals 104
    Brazil Apps 98 Goals 62

Cristiano Ronaldo

Career Apps 547 Goals 354
    Madrid Apps 224 Goals 231
    Portugal Apps 109 Goals 47

So has Lionel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does he have to win the World Cup?

Advertisement