Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM less about the athlete more about the $$ ?

Options
  • 29-10-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Interesting and somewhat scary read of a post Kona interview with Dr Tasmin Lewis.

The Kona Medic's Experience:

http://www.tri247.com/article_12194.html

Is it a scrimping on costs by WTC? or more to do with inadequate self care by athletes pushing themselves further and further into the red zone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would think they had more medics than any club race will ever have.

there is good points (ie the cooling pools she talked about) in the article but rightly she blames the athletes too.

I think what ironman realiced is the more medics they had the more reckless people became.So i think its something that needs to be looked from both sides.

I would be interested has the aero helmet really an effect on how many people enter the med tent IF so thats a point to look at. ie disallow aero helmets in hawaii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Interesting view point.

That pic of the athlete falling into the two volunteers arms - Matt Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Interesting and somewhat scary read of a post Kona interview with Dr Tasmin Lewis.

The Kona Medic's Experience:

http://www.tri247.com/article_12194.html

Is it a scrimping on costs by WTC? or more to do with inadequate self care by athletes pushing themselves further and further into the red zone?

Lets be honest if this was a real world championships with actual world championship caliber athletes would this be as much of an issue? No. But its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

tunney wrote: »
    Lets be honest if this was a real world championships with actual world championship caliber athletes would this be as much of an issue? No. But its not.
    Jodie Swallow's world championship caliber. Even the best can collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Shedite27 wrote: »

Mod Note
    Please keep comments constructive and on topic

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

At a HIM this year the organisers warned that drips would not be available on demand after the race. It seems that some athletes are choosing to get such medical attention when they are actually fine, in order to reduce recovery time. Perhaps this has some bearing on the attitude of the organisers? In the past they have always prided themselves on having the best aftercare available for competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shedite27 wrote: »

What's interesting to note is that Jodie's issue was to do with overhyrdating rather than underhydrating which seems to be the biggest reason for people needing medical attention.

I was quite suprised that someone of the triathlon experience that JS has would make a mistake like that.

Peter makes an interesting observation that in diminishing the availability of medical attention more onus is placed on athletes to take care of themselves properly.

I would think a proper triage setup to evaluate the requirement for medical attention would be a better idea (if not already in place)

Advertisement