Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN an iPad Mini thanks to Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness Week!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

When I lived in Germany I was under a lot of stress as a Bar Manager over the winter Period, This was off the back of 2006 World cup where my average working day was 18hrs a day.

While all my work was being delievered my health was going down hill and before Christmas I was in and out of the doctors while it was -15oc outside.

I was dreading new years working as I had worked over Christmas and new i would find it hard to handle. I pushed on ahead and made the the Business ready and the staff Orginized.

2 Days before Newyears I was called into the Pub by the owner with a serious look on his face as if I messed up something .

He passed me an envelope  which I was hoping was not my P45 lol.

Opening the envelope was Flights to a 5* resort  staying in a penthouse suite in Egypt for a week leaving the following day all expences paid and €1000 spending money for me to relax.

with the emotion I cried and felt a weight lifted off my shoulders as the owner had seen the pressure I was under over the months before and thought I needed to put my feet up for a week . Well I went for -15oc to +30oc and came back a new man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Another wallet story. Dropped it getting out of the car when I was going to visit my grandfather in hospital. Only missed it when I got onto the ward, and retraced my steps. A man approached me while I was searching the car and asked me if I was missing my wallet. He had found it beside the car and went out of his way to drop it into the Garda station around the corner. Picked it up there, everything still intact. Managed to get in touch with him afterwards to thank him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hi everyone,

We're delighted to tell you that Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness week is back - from Nov 2nd to Nov 8th! This year we're once again asking for your help raising €100,000 for 3 fantastic charities - Breakthrough Cancer Research, Special Olympics Ireland and ISPCC Childline.

eab4a9a5-6381-49a8-9da4-19b3e0592de5_zps67bcde4b.jpg

To help get that milk of human kindness flowing, we're giving boards users a chance to win an iPad Mini before Powering Kindness officially kicks off, and during the week itself! So that's TWO 16GB gorgeous iPad Mini's up for grabs, one for each competition!

iPadmini_zps0da7b555.jpg

All you have to do to be in with a chance to win is leave a comment below (as brief or as long as you like), telling us about a kind deed once done for you. It can be as simple as an understanding and uplifting smile on a difficult day, a surprise cup of tea, or something utterly unexpected that in one fell swoop restored your faith in humanity... :)

This competition runs until Friday 1st Nov (with the next one to start on Saturday 2nd), and the winners will be chosen on Friday afternoon. T&C's are here.

Best of luck! :)
    Last Friday (bank holiday), my car cut out and the battery was dead. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it happened anywhere else, unfortunately it occurred on the Red Cow Roundabout during rush hour! I stepped out of the car and retrieved my jump leads from the boot. The man behind me pulled his jeep around to face my car and I was up and running within 3 minutes. If it wasn't for that chap it would have been a bank holiday disaster for the people getting home on the N7!! What a place for that to happen! Thank you sir!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I dropped my credit card and guy picked it up and tracked me down via Linkedin and returned it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Out doing the shopping one day with my almost 3 year old bundle of energy, so as I am trying to pack the bags, get my money out, stop him from pressing buttons and keep him in sight the woman on the till chats to him for a second and gives him one of those checkout stickers as a "superhero badge". He was chuffed with himself and it kept him occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Last Christmas Eve i was "working" in my office. And a good bit of the staff brought in their kids and there was cakes and sweets and mayhem. Anyway, after it all ended there was 6 boxes of mince pies left over. I love mince pies, they are easily my favorite seasonal treat. So the boss said i could take them, as no one else wanted them. Brilliant.

So im walking home with the misses and i see a homeless lad who is there mostly days in the same spot on my way home. I usually give him what ever change i have or a piece of fruit, (i always forget to eat my banana) but this time i gave him the six boxes of unopened mince pies. He was thrilled, saying he hasn't had one in years and loved them just as much as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Last Christmas Eve i was "working" in my office. And a good bit of the staff brought in their kids and there was cakes and sweets and mayhem. Anyway, after it all ended there was 6 boxes of mince pies left over. I love mince pies, they are easily my favorite seasonal treat. So the boss said i could take them, as no one else wanted them. Brilliant.

So im walking home with the misses and i see a homeless lad who is there mostly days in the same spot on my way home. I usually give him what ever change i have or a piece of fruit, (i always forget to eat my banana) but this time i gave him the six boxes of unopened mince pies. He was thrilled, saying he hasn't had one in years and loved them just as much as I did.
    this isn't about you though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

beakerjoe wrote: »

this isn't about you though!!
    Ah ive misread the post. Darn It, back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I broke down last year on the way home from work, the chain snapped on my motorbike. As I was waiting for the recovery truck to come along, a number of bikers stopped to see if they could help. One even offered me a lift home in case I was stuck, meaning putting himself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Years ago when I was backpacking across Western Europe.......I was just outside of Barcelona hiking in the foothills of mount Tibidabu. I was at the end of this path and I came to a clearing, there was a lake, very secluded and there were tall trees all around. It was dead silent, gorgeous. And across the lake I saw a beautiful woman bathing herself. But she was crying.

I asked her why she was crying and she told me everything which changed my life forever. [/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

There was a knock at my front door last Saturday evening. As I approached the door  to answer it I could see the shadow of someone walking out the driveway, so thought nothing of it & went back into the living room.

A couple of hours later my sister came over as planned. When I answered the door she handed me a beautiful flower arrangement in a basket. She said it was sitting at the door when she arrived.

I still have no idea who left it there & although the cynic in me says it was left at the wrong door in error the optimist in me likes to think it was someone who just wanted to brighten up my day, which it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

One day at the checkout of a supermarket, when all my goods had been scanned through, I realised I had no money on me. A man behind me insisted on paying the €28 and would not under any circumstances give me his contact details for me to pay him back.

Incredibly generous. As it happens, I did follow him home, then git the money and dropped it in to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Christmas day 2 years ago in the middle of the big freeze, our boiler packed up, not wanting to interrupt anybody's Christmas we wrapped up in extra clothes but a person who lives in the same area as us ( we would not have known him that well) heard of our plight  called to the house and fixed the boiler, would not take anything for it, what a man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

The caretaker in my apartment block sorted me out with a car parking spot for my van today, for free. sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

I'd like to thank the person who flashed their car lights to warn me of cattle on the road between Kilcolgan & Craughwell.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Years ago my bike broke under me while I was cycling it.  A driver kindly offered me a lift home as I was injured.  It made a welcome change from drivers trying to kill me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

After a night out in town I'd somehow managed to spend all the cash I had so had no choice but to begin the long, cold walk home which takes about 2 hours instead of the usual quick journey home in a taxi. About 45 mins into the long walk a taxi man pulls over and asks if I need a lift, I explain I haven't any money left but he says it doesn't matter and he's near the end of his shift so he'll drop me home as its a freezing night. Drops me straight to the door and won't let me take his details or anything, without a doubt the nicest taxi man I've met and reassured me that there's plenty of nice people left in the world today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

New Years eve 2 years ago had just broken up with my gf of the time was feeling sorry for myself went out on the lash forgot to text anyone at the homeplace to say id be coming home. Landed home no one to be found and no keys to get in and the prospect of new years eve on the front porch in the cold. Queue a lovely neighbour seeing me and dropping all their immediate plans to drive me first to my brothers house which was empty and then to my sisters where luckily all were congregated and new years eve was saved for me by the at neighbour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

When I was about 9 years old, I began to suffer from very extreme eczema. I covered a large amount of my body and it was very painful. My mam and I tried countless medicines, treatments, creams and pills in an effort to discourage my unfortunate symptoms, but with no success. One day we were in a local pharmacy looking into yet another option we hadn't yet tried. We spent about 30 minutes discussing my skin's history in detail with one of the employees. I don't remember what the medicine in question was any more, but I do remember that it cost a fair few bob. When we finally went up to the counter to pay, the receptionist surprised us by relaying that we wouldn't be paying for any of it. A man who had been in the store at the time and heard my story had gone out of his way to pay for what I needed without ever saying a word to us. I was shocked and completely humbled by the experience. For my young self, that was a huge lesson in the power of compassion. I don't know the identity of the kind man who helped me out that day but I have never forgotten what that felt like. If that man happens to be reading this, drop me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I helped an old lady across the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

My 5 week old baby is in alot of pain at the moment and needs special treatment from a Chiropractor to try and relieve the pain. On both occasions we have attended the practice so far and tried to pay the bill we were advised that my Mother has already paid in advance.

An unbeliveable woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gra246

I am touched daily by the kindness of others. It's the little things that make all the difference; the driver who flashes his lights; that unexpected cup of tea; a smile from a passer by; someone letting you go ahead in a queue; a friend washing your car as a surprise .....

My fav. kind deed this week was from a lovely tall man who handed me milk from the top shelf in the supermarket. Us short people appreciate help! ;) 

P.S. Please remember to pay forward any kindness received. ♡♡

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭cbee20

When parking on the street a few years ago, someone gave me his unexpired disc to use. Ever since then. when my parking disc has some time left on it, I wait to pass it on to another driver. What goes around , comes around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i am fairly scatterbrained, and one time i left my wallet full of money (it was a once off event i needed the significant amount of money for) on a bar counter and walked away, about 15 minutes later the barman came over to me apologising he was too busy to get away sooner, with my wallet in his hand he had kept it safe for me and got it back to me and wouldn't take a cent off me for recovering it, i was so grateful i donated the money i tried to give him to charity and these day's always try to pass on the kindness if i can. 

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Out for a sambo at lunchtime, only realised I'd forgotten my wallet when it was all made up and I was at the till, the cashier said not to worry, I could drop the money in anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I was cycling along Rathmines Road today and saw a bicycle chained to a lamppost, with its front wheel sticking out into the traffic. It was soon going to be a mangled mass of spokes, so I got off my own bike and propped it on the kerb and started to lift the fallen bike back into position. 
    Out of the corner of my eye I saw something - it was my bicycle about to crash down. A young man passing grabbed the handlebars and stopped it in mid-air, and said "I'll hold it for you" - in an eastern European accent - and with a beautiful smile. His girlfriend was walking with him, and she helped me to straighten up the other bike so it wasn't in danger of being mashed any more, then he handed my bicycle back and saluted me gently, and they went on their way. I had a warm feeling all day from their simple kindness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And another: friends went into an American burger chain in Dublin to eat. At the next was an elderly woman who looked very much down on her luck. The staff were being horrible to her as she tried to count up her money to see if she had enough for a meal. The father of the family crumpled up a €20 and dropped it on the floor and kicked it towards her, then 'found' it under the table. "This is yours," he said to her - "I saw it falling out of your pocket." She took some convincing, but ended up buying her meal and very happily eating it. (I think he may actually have paid for her meal quietly at the counter first, in fact, as well as 'finding' the €20.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

During the terrible Winter a few years back, I got stuck (in my car) in the snow / ice on a particularly nasty incline. Holding up the entire row of traffic, I was bracing myself for a slew of car horns / shouted expletives. Instead, much to my surprise & delight, no less than SIX people got out from cars behind me to help push & provide their car-mats as traction ultimately enabling me to get on my merry way!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

i had a puncture on a rainy stormy day with a 10 k walk to go. Another cyclist stopped and offered me his last spare patch unfortunately he had no glue left either. I was stupid for forgetting my own repair kit but he was the only one to stop and offer help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Last week I was doing my shopping in Lidl and an eldery man was in front in the queue. He began to look quite panicked and told the checkout girl that he forgot his wallet. He asked the girl to hold his shopping and he would rush home and get it. I paid for his shopping instead. It was a wet cold night there was no need to be going out in it twice over an easy mistake.
    It was only 13 quid. He was reluctant but thankful and I just told him to do the same someday. I didn't think much about it until my wife mentioned it a few days later when she noticed two transactions on the account for lidl. So I've kept the reciept in my wallet to remind me it's nice to do more nice things for others

Edit just realised it was nice things others did,

Well the reason I did it with no hesitation was because i had to bring my kitten down to the vets when she was just a few weeks old for her stitches to be changed (she lost her back leg before we got her in an accident) but it was the time of the snow and was freezing out and I didn't drive at the time, so I set off with a hot water bottle and a blanket cave in her box for the walk to the vets, (all my money was going on the vet visit so no spare money for taxi) I had no sooner turned onto the main road and the snow started to pelt Down so I hailed a cab for the all of five minute taxi journey and hopped in. He asked all about the kitten and as I'd left early when we got there the vet wasn't open, he told me he would wait with me so we could both stay warm and refused any money at all. When I came out he was still there and brought us Home!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement