Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN an iPad Mini thanks to Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness Week!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Cal04

my story isn't anything special or exceptional, but it meant so much to me. A couple of years ago, my husband went to the All Ireland hurling final. I was laid up in bed as I had back trouble. My very kind neighbour heard that I was in agony and made my dinner for me! I thought it was the kindest thing as I was bed bound. Sometimes the smallest of gestures mean the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I was in the US last month and my flight was cancelled just as I was checking out at 12. The hotel I was staying in was fully booked so I booked another hotel with Expedia and hung around Boston for a few hours. I arrived at the new hotel at 7pm only to find that it had never received the booking confirmation, and that hotel too was completely booked out as there was a massive conference on that week. The receptionist allowed me to use their office to call Expedia and after 58 minutes on the phone in the, I had just resigned myself to taking a hotel 25 miles outside of the city when the receptionist found me a room in another nearby hotel, even arranging a complimentary cab to take me to the nearby hotel. She was extremely kind in going out of her way to help me - such a good deed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kdarcy9

Every Christmas, my girlfriend and I do soup runs around Dublin. It's easy to get involved with Focus Ireland and it makes such a different. Last year it was bitterly cold, with heavy snow in Dublin, so it was great to do what we could to spread some Christmas joy. Some soup and a chat goes a long way. Looking forward to it again this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

The small things people do that cost nothing always make me want to do the same. I was buying a coffee in town recently and got a stamp on my loyalty card for the shop. 3 young guys who were American tourists and buying coffees behind me asked me for my card and put their stamps on it. They were leaving Dublin the next day and didn't have any need for them. I just thought it was a nice thing to do that they just as easily could not have thought to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mensa

On holidays in California (a long time ago!) we decided to drive out into the desert.  We soon got stuck.  Baking hot, stuck, no water, we were really, really worried.  No one living for hundreds of miles around.  Then, out of nowhere, a jeep drives through the desert, gives us a tow out, and then dissapears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I was cycling from Vancouver to San Franciscom, & in Oregon I had assumed a village on the map would have food facilities, but it didn't.  So I basically ran out of energy & was fairly shattered.  I sat on the side of the road for 10 minutes with my thumb out, knowing there wasn't a hope in hell anyone would pick me & a bike up ! 
    Incredibly a van drove by,  he saw me and thought to himself "was that cyclist trying to hitch a lift?"  He then remembered doing long cycle trips himself & feeling wrecked, so he did a U-turn & came back to pick me up.  
    He even said he'd love if he could put me up for the night, but his wife had barrred him from bringing home strangers :)  What a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I once paid for a girls sandwich after she realised she had left her purse at work, was only 3.99 but it meant a lot to her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And another - I was cycling to a work goodbye party in a city centre pub when I found a wallet on the street. I picked it up, looked around and didn't see anyone obviously looking for it, so stuck it in my pocket and continued on. When I got to the pub I opened it up and found around €400 and a bunch of credit cards, and a work ID card showing the owner was a senior banker. 
    I phoned the bank and told them I'd found the wallet, and gave them my mobile number, name and address. A few minutes later the owner rang and told me his address, and I said I'd drop his wallet by on the way home.
    Hours later - very late - I went to put the wallet in through the letterbox of his house. The door was wrenched open and he and his wife both leapt out at me. He took the wallet, said thanks and quickly disappeared inside the house, visibly counting the money.
    When I got home there was a frantic note asking me to call immediately - obviously left earlier.
    So the next day I went off to work as normal, and when I got home there was something sticking out of my letterbox. The stems of a bunch of flowers, and the string of a thank-you note. Obviously someone had stolen them. How I laughed. I think I enjoyed the irony more than I would have enjoyed the flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

This happened only yesterday. My daughter went to the shop on her own for milk and bread. We only live around the corner. She's 11. 
    She got to the checkout and went to pay but had lost the 5euro I had given her. She was so upset. She explained later that she thought they would arrest her and that I would be really mad at her for losing the money. 

The lovely checkout lady, upon seeing how upset she was, paid for the items herself. When my daughter came home (roaring crying the whole way up the lane), we went back down to the shop to pay for the items but the checkout lady wouldn't hear a word of it and told my daughter to keep the money and buy herself something nice. 

It was only a couple of euro but the lady made my day and really showed me that kindness is alive and well. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

For me it something as simple as someone letting me out from my estate in traffic every morning! Too many people just blank you and drive past in slow moving traffic. Thanks to those that do! 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LillyBelle123

Hi everyone,

We're delighted to tell you that Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness week is back - from Nov 2nd to Nov 8th! This year we're once again asking for your help raising €100,000 for 3 fantastic charities - Breakthrough Cancer Research, Special Olympics Ireland and ISPCC Childline.

eab4a9a5-6381-49a8-9da4-19b3e0592de5_zps67bcde4b.jpg

To help get that milk of human kindness flowing, we're giving boards users a chance to win an iPad Mini before Powering Kindness officially kicks off, and during the week itself! So that's TWO 16GB gorgeous iPad Mini's up for grabs, one for each competition!

iPadmini_zps0da7b555.jpg

All you have to do to be in with a chance to win is leave a comment below (as brief or as long as you like), telling us about a kind deed once done for you. It can be as simple as an understanding and uplifting smile on a difficult day, a surprise cup of tea, or something utterly unexpected that in one fell swoop restored your faith in humanity... :)

This competition runs until Friday 1st Nov (with the next one to start on Saturday 2nd), and the winners will be chosen on Friday afternoon. T&C's are here.

Best of luck! :)
    When I was about 19 I worked in this lovely little Christmas shop that set up on Henry Street for a little while. One morning I went into Burger King for breakfast to pass some time before the shop opened because I was early for some  strange reason, I went upstairs and sat down. I remember just staring out the window, and then noticing this guy who looked to me to be homeless walking around an empty table that had a breakfast left on it, he looks at me and I look at him and shrug and he looks around again and then he sits down and he takes a bite out of the breakfast muffin........ just as another homeless guy arrives at the table and he goes......,"Oh no is this yours?" The guy that's just arrived nods that yes the breakfast was his and with that he jumps up, apologises and goes to walk away but before he can the other guy stands up and says "look.........I'll share it with ya!" And with that the two of them sit there and share a Burger King breakfast. At the time all I wanted to do was offer to buy them another one, but between fear and not wanting to interrupt their moment,  I just watched them sit there and eat that breakfast and chat to each other and wondered how someone who had nothing could be so generous. Still ragin I didn't offer them that extra breakfast though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 U_Loves

Because there are lots of heartfelt acts of kindness that have been bestowed on me in my lifetime it's kind of strange to single out just one, although a canteen lady in a Dublin hospital will never know how much it meant to me to give me a cup of tea & brown bread when I had so much on my mind at the time and I drew a blank when asked what would I like at the counter, her lovely kind way will stand out in my mind forever. It's funny but there are so many little things that people have done and they just don't realise the goodwill they've left behind with their kindness. Everyday everyone should do one thing for somebody. 

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Anytime my boyfriend brings me home chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LillyBelle123

Hi everyone,

We're delighted to tell you that Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness week is back - from Nov 2nd to Nov 8th! This year we're once again asking for your help raising €100,000 for 3 fantastic charities - Breakthrough Cancer Research, Special Olympics Ireland and ISPCC Childline.

To help get that milk of human kindness flowing, we're giving boards users a chance to win an iPad Mini before Powering Kindness officially kicks off, and during the week itself! So that's TWO 16GB gorgeous iPad Mini's up for grabs, one for each competition!

iPadmini_zps0da7b555.jpg

All you have to do to be in with a chance to win is leave a comment below (as brief or as long as you like), telling us about a kind deed once done for you. It can be as simple as an understanding and uplifting smile on a difficult day, a surprise cup of tea, or something utterly unexpected that in one fell swoop restored your faith in humanity... :)

This competition runs until Friday 1st Nov (with the next one to start on Saturday 2nd), and the winners will be chosen on Friday afternoon. T&C's are here.

When I was about 19 I worked in this lovely little Christmas shop that set up on Henry Street for a little while. One morning I went into Burger King for breakfast to pass some time before the shop opened because I was early for some  strange reason, I went upstairs and sat down. I remember just staring out the window, and then noticing this guy who looked to me to be homeless walking around an empty table that had a breakfast left on it, he looks at me and I look at him and shrug and he looks around again and then he sits down and he takes a bite out of the breakfast muffin........ just as another homeless guy arrives at the table and he goes......,"Oh no is this yours?" The guy that's just arrived nods that yes the breakfast was his and with that he jumps up, apologises and goes to walk away but before he can the other guy stands up and says "look.........I'll share it with ya!" And with that the two of them sit there and share a Burger King breakfast. At the time all I wanted to do was offer to buy them another one, but between fear and not wanting to interrupt their moment,  I just watched them sit there and eat that breakfast and chat to each other and wondered how someone who had nothing could be so generous. Still ragin I didn't offer them that extra breakfast though frown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've stopped and helped people with flat tires a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 janicezara

This year my daughter and I heard about a little girl with cancer she needed life saving treatment in America and the cost is 350 thousand is was so touching hearing about the young 8yr old being so ill, my 7year old Zara wanted to help raise money for the little girl and came up with so many ideas she setteled on the idea she thought would be best and this is what she done, on Sunday 21st of July 2013 my daughter aged 7 got her ponytail cut off and made almost €700 for the sick little girl, my daughter had never met the little girl but done an amazing thing to help I was so proud of what she done that is why I  am entering her into this competition as her bravery was amazing she thought of someone else and done such a kind thing at just 7yrs oldxx

A video of my daughter Zara doing her good deed can be found on YouTube in the search type in Zara raffertyxx 

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

The best kind deed done for me was when I was living in Korea in the countryside. I was new to the country and still finding my feet where everything is a struggle. In a restaurant one day while struggling badly to mimic what I wanted to eat, an old couple in their seventies came over and joined me and even though they spoke no English they understood me and helped me order and sat and laughed with me through the dinner and made me feel incredible welcome to their country. When I got up to pay towards the end of the dinner I was waved away by the owner to say it had already been paid for. To someone feeling so lost it was an amazing act of kindness. It showed me to need to recognise others struggles and help them as best we can.

My daughter Zara doing her good deed xxx so proud of her xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RAY SMITH

HELP THE HOMELESS IN DUBLIN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MY GOOOD DEED WAS DONE LAST NIGHT HALOWEEN EVEVING MYSELF AND A FRIEND DECIDED TO VISIT SOME HOMELESS PEOPLE LIVING IN DUBLIN CITY CENTRE,,WE MET MOSTLY MALE PEOPLE,,WE GAVE OUT WARM BLANKETS AND TEA OR COFFEE,,AND SOME TREATS AS IT WAS HALOWEEN,,BUT MOSTLY JUST TO CHAT TO PEOPLE AND FIND OUT ABOUT THEIR STORIES,,SURPRSEINGLY MOST OF THE PEOPLE WE MET HAD NO ADDICTION AS MOST PEOPLE WOULD THINK.

IT WAS JUST THAT THEY FELL ON HARD TIMES, IT CAN BE QUITE SCAREY ON THE STREETS AND VERY INTIMITADTING AS WE FOUND OUT FOR SELVES LAST NIGHT.WE MET REALLY KIND HOMELESS PEOPLE WHO WERE ASHAMED OF THEIR PERSONEL CIRCUMSTANCES AT PRESENT.
    WE ALSO GOT TOLD THAT THESE PEOPLE NOT ONLY HAVE TO LIVE IN FREEZING COLD CONDITIONS THEY ALSO GET ASSAULTED AND ABUSED BY DRUNKEN YOUTHS..

WE WERE SO HAPPY TO CHEER THESE GUYS UP, BECAUSE JUST TO CHAT TO SOMEONE CAN CHANGE YOUR WHOLE DAY, THESE PEOPLE ARE SO USE TO BEEN IGNORED..

WE WOULD LOVE TO MAKE A MINI DOCUMENTRY AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME AND HOPEFULLY GIVE OUT SOME SMALL GIFTS, WARM JUMPERS,HATS,GLOVES, UNDER WEAR ETC.. IT REALLY TOUCHED ME AND I WANT TO DO MORE TO CHEER HOMELESS PEOPLE UP AND HIGHLIGHT THE PROBLEMS ALSO..
    REMMEBER THESE PEOPLE ARE SOMEONES KIDS, FATHER,BROTHER,SISTER, AND MOST OF ALL THEIR HUMAN BEINGS..

SO THATS MY GOOD DEED AND I REALLY GOT PLEASURE IN MAKING A SMALL DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLES LIFES AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

KIND REGRADS

RAYMOND SMITH

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

The day we got our newborn baby home from hospital, we realized we had no food for us to eat, just then my wife friends rang doorbell and had made us a huge chicken casserole that lasted us a few days.
    Something simple makes you realise the kindness and generosity of people

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

I had to go to Dublin and stay overnight for a medical appointment. I was so tired when I got there and really cranky. I went to check in at a nearby hotel and expected the usual bland reception but the girl behind the counter was so friendly and seemed to genuinely care that I enjoyed my stay. It seems a really small thing but that small act of kindness really perked me up and brightened up my whole day. Its amazing the power of a smile and a kind word. 

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

I want to nominate my son Myles, he is ten now but something he did in creche has always stayed with me. I had just dropped him off at creche and was talking to his minder when a little boy came in bawling crying and not wanting to stay. Myles was only four at the time, he went over to the little boy, put his arm around him and said ' it will be ok, I will look after you.' It seemed such a nice thing to do and its the type of boy he still is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi all,

Absolutely lovely and humbling and heart-warming examples of kindness - thanks so much for sharing.

This competition is closed now and there can only be one winner, unfortunately. We will be back shortly to announce the winning post!

(Winner is being chosen as per our competition terms and conditions at the end of this post).

Kind regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

And the winner is... LostInKildare! Congrats - you will receive a private message from us in a moment! :)

Everyone else, keep an eye on this forum for our next Powering Kindness competition, starting tomorrow!

All the best,
    Una

PoweringKindness.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Congratulations, LostInKildare - enjoy your lovely prize! And thanks for running the contest, LecIrl.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Thanks very much, I'm delighted!  And I enjoyed everyone's posts, too,  nice to hear stories of generosity and kindness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cadiel

Hi there,

I heard about an event called "Big Music Week" from a boards.ie user. As a result of her generous tip, I was able to get 2 tickets on the Big Music Week train from Connolly to Waterford. I decided to bring a friend of mine whose parents had both been hospitalised with serious conditions this year. 

We started off in Connolly station listening to amazing music from talent such as the RTE Concert Orchestra and Kodaline. We were guided onto the train, and sat in the front seats. I started chatting to a woman beside me, and hey presto...it was the wonderful boardster who had posted about BMW! 

We all travelled down to Waterford stopping at a few stations, and were treated to music from over 26 fabulous acts. It what the "Best Music Day" of my life, and I wouldn't have been able to experience it, or share it, without the kind act of my fellow boardster. Thank you G for that wonderful memory...I'm so glad to have met you :-) C
    Hi everyone,

iPadmini_zps0da7b555.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Well my little pet bunny died suddenly on Christmas Eve (R.I.P. Bob). Needless to say I was devastated.. 

My friend called over, brought me to town, bought me cheesecake and brought me to the cinema. It helped put a smile back on my face which wasn't an easy task that day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

I moved from dundalk to cork way back in 1999 to do a one year course. I had been offered the same course in Dublin but I felt I wanted a change and cork was a new frontier to explore. I always liked adventure but I thought that I'd bitten off more than I could chew when I sat alone in a bedsit on the middle glanmire road on a dull September evening .  On my first night in cork I didn't even have a tv - my place was nice and cosy but it then dawned on me that I didn't know a soul that even though cork may have its charms I felt very alone and wondered if I had done the right thing by leaving all my friends, family and many anchors of security in my life. 

I went for a walk to the local shop Hennessy's in Luke's cross as the quietness of the bedsit was starting to enforce my sense of creeping loneliness. However the strange tongue of the natives and the unfamiliar sights and sounds at the cross didn't help to settle this naive country boy so I headed back to my room.

I had only shut my door behind me when I heard a gentle knock.  As I peered it out I saw a small fat man with a big warm smile. He said hello my name is tommy and we live next door if you ever need anything don't be afraid to call anytime. I invited him in and we chatted for about ten minutes. For the first few weeks he called every day and also invited me into his bedsit for tea. 

Tommy and Margaret soon became very good friends and still hold a very special place in my heart. They taught me that a bit of human kindness goes a long long way. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement