Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In need of a rider - Advice welcome

Options
  • 29-10-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Am just wondering if people have suggestions about getting someone to ride out for me from our yard. Am out of action due to an accident and have a talented young mare - just broken that I need ridden. It would be ideal for an apprentice jockey/good rider. What's the usual payment and how do people go about finding someone. Am located in Tip near thurles. Also how does it work if I wanted to get someone to bring on the mare and compete her in eventing, training shows that type of thing. Has anyone ever given on loan for this or would I have to pay the rider. She's a real stunning, talented mare that could be lots of fun for someone. Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have you tried Yard&Groom or the Irish Field or even The Farmers Journal to advertise for riders? You could have a look through it yourself to see what others are offering

• Registered Users Posts: 2 immirage

Hi there -

I'm an experienced catch rider and have just moved to Dublin (for the states). Unfortunately I'm probably too far away to be of much use to you.

My background is in equitation and jumpers, although I've done lower level dressage. More recently I broke and trained a friesian/TB cross (had her from the day she was born!) and sold her before moving over here. It was a fantastic experience. I haven't done a lot of eventing and it's been ages since I've spent much time working horses over fences, but I'm certainly a useful and careful rider. I'm also very professional, especially when it comes to safety and ensuring that the horse has a positive experience each ride out. I consider all horse handling training.

I am looking for riding, but I know my options are very limited. I'm located in Northside Dublin, so if anyone had any suggestions for places within cycling distance, that would be fantastic. Given my time constraints, I'd love to locate a stables that needed someone to school horses maybe a handful of times a week. I don't necessarily need to be paid, but don't have the money to pay for riding.

Thanks for any tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

Hi Lucy Anne;

I am on the opposite side of the fence so to speak,
    I have ridden horses for people;
    As a once in a while school of a horse, I would generally get €10 per horse, but I would usually be doing several horses in the one day and then not again for mayne 6-8 weeks. If it was just the one or two horses i would get up to €20.
    As a rider working in a yard, I would get €50 per day, riding 8-10 horses to a good standard, with no yard jobs.

I've been in a nice position over the last few years though, I've been in college but kept contacts for whom I would ride at the weekend and during any holidays.

If you are still looking for someone to bring on the mare next april/may for the summer, keep me in mind. I will be gratuating from college and taking on a few horses myself to school/compete over the summer. I have a strong background in young horses, breaking and training for 2 well-known showjumping yards. I am also being continously trained by a level 2 coach and competing her horses in eventing, hunter trialling and showjumping.

Hope this helps and best of luck with the mare!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

immirage wrote: »
    Hi there -

I am looking for riding, but I know my options are very limited. I'm located in Northside Dublin, so if anyone had any suggestions for places within cycling distance, that would be fantastic.

Kinsealy riding centre is close to you if you are near northside. www.kinsealyridingcentre.com
    Maybe if you put an ad up there someone might need a rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 duessbock

immirage wrote: »
    Hi there -

I'm an experienced catch rider and have just moved to Dublin (for the states). Unfortunately I'm probably too far away to be of much use to you.

My background is in equitation and jumpers, although I've done lower level dressage. More recently I broke and trained a friesian/TB cross (had her from the day she was born!) and sold her before moving over here. It was a fantastic experience. I haven't done a lot of eventing and it's been ages since I've spent much time working horses over fences, but I'm certainly a useful and careful rider. I'm also very professional, especially when it comes to safety and ensuring that the horse has a positive experience each ride out. I consider all horse handling training.

I am looking for riding, but I know my options are very limited. I'm located in Northside Dublin, so if anyone had any suggestions for places within cycling distance, that would be fantastic. Given my time constraints, I'd love to locate a stables that needed someone to school horses maybe a handful of times a week. I don't necessarily need to be paid, but don't have the money to pay for riding.

Thanks for any tips!
    Hi PAddi 22,
    I wonder how succesful your post was? I am in a similar situation, except I have a car. On the other hand, my time restrictions are of a nature that I could only make it once a week. I found this side when I was searching for horse share. Maybe you want to share the experience you made so far?
    Kind regards
    Duesbock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 immirage

Hi Duessbock -

I assume you meant to query me, not Paddi22. I've only just checked back on this site after several weeks, in fact, and will take Paddy's advice and check out Kinsealy and place a notice there. I haven't made much progress in finding rides, but haven't been particularly aggressive about it. When the weather gets a bit better I'll look again -- without a car, it's tough to travel very far on the bicycle or even by train/bus without it turning into a full-day affair.

Nonetheless, I'd still be very interested in finding a place to ride, and I'd be useful to anyone with a difficult horse, a horse that needed some nice balanced flatwork, etc, or someone who simply didn't have time to ride a lot.

Hope you found something!

Advertisement