Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kale Crisps

Options
  • 29-10-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Anyone ever make Kale crisps before? Any tips please?

We are showing you how to make Kale crisps tomorrow night. All are welcome. Looking for extra tips if anyone has made them before? We have been experimenting with them but would love extra advice!
    All welcome to our meeting!

Next Grow It Yourself Waterford meeting - October 2013
    Looking forward to our next meeting. We are having a real creative night.
    -Herbs for Winter colds & Flu
    -How to make Kale Crisps
    7pm Wed 30th October in Oasis Garden, Comeragh Centre, Northern Extension estate. Free parking. Children welcome. All welcome and Tea/Coffee to keep you warm.
    Enquiries to waterfordgiy@gmail.com or call 0872720597

https://www.facebook.com/events/171440399722067/?ref=5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yep, I make some each week to nibble on throughout the week. I usually strip the leaves from the stalks and wash then spin them in my salad spinner.

I keep the leaves quite small then toss them onto a large baking sheet. I then pour over some EVOO, grind some sea salt over them, a small bit of chili powder then sprinkle some (I like lots but you can leave this out if you dont like it) nooch over them. Then I get my hands dirty by rubbing it all together.

I put the oven on about 100 degrees and pop it in. I just keep an eye on it and turn it a few times while its cooking.

When they are all nice and crispy take them out and try not to eat the whole lot!!

I know people dry them out using a dehydrator but I find the oven works fine.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I have no idea what EVOO or Nooch is.........

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Extra virgin olive oil
    Nutritional yeast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ah! I wasn't aware of the kitchen lingo, I feel so uncool now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

Where can I buy kale in Waterford?

Want to try this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've tried making it before but it never seems to come out right, the edges burn while the main part stays quite soft. Maybe too dry?

Dunnes have started selling kale now and a big bag is just €1 this week so get on it!

I've been using it in curries (made a great sweet potato, kale and chickpea one) and pasta sauces as an alternative to spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Kloecor wrote: »
    Where can I buy kale in Waterford?

Want to try this!

Both SQ and Aldi do Curly kale (Aldi for 99c) which ive used to make kale crisps.
    SQ also do Dinosaur kale, which is slightly pricier at 2.49 a bag, but it is very tasty and worth it for a treat!

I'm a big kale fan!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have only tried the kale crisps that I've made myself, so I'm not sure how crispy a kale crisp is supposed to be. I make them in the dehydrator, after washing, drying, a little olive oil and salt. They come out like dry leaves but there isn't a crispness to them. They rustle like dry leaves but don't crunch when chewed. They are pleasant to eat but I wonder if I'm not drying the leaves for lond enough? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I use the oven myself, give that a go instead. They should come out to the texture you want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

toss in a bit of oil and pop them in the oven, easy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement