Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI and previously known illnesses

Options
  • 29-10-2013 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I have had problems with my back on and off for the last 10 or so years, it was never diagnosed or treated bar a few physio therapy sessions here and there. It has been acting up again recently so I've started seeing doctors to try get to the bottom of it. I have to go for an X-Ray and and MRI and I'm wondering if I will be covered to do this privately. I have been with VHI for about 8 months now. I've heard that you have to be with them for a period of time before they will cover you for previously known issues.

Anybody know what their policy is on this type of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Were you with a different medical insurer before you started your VHI policy? If you had continuous coverage (even with different insurers) for a sufficient length of time (which depends on your age) then you may not be subject to a waiting period. Otherwise if you only started insurance 8 months ago, you may be subject to a waiting period, check the VHI weblink below....

https://www.vhi.ie/info/products/info.jsp#2

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

It really depends on and if a claim form is sent it the doctor states the onset date of the illness so it would then be classed as a pre existing illness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I think you might be best to check with VHI. The tests you mention are out-patient tests, and even if they're not subject to any waiting periods, the cover for out-patient costs varies wildly depending on the plan you have. Also, MRIs in some places can be fully covered, subject to certain medical criteria.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If it's classed as a pre existing condition then you've to wait five years before VHI will cover it

It will be up to your doctor/VHI to classify it

Advertisement