Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIRT

Options
  • 29-10-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

If you close a deposit account before 1st January, will you pay DIRT at the old rate or the new rate??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Dirt is paid when the interest its received, so it depends on when its credited to your account. Any interest received after 2014 will be subject to DIRT at the new rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Thank you Anyone. So, if I close the account and receive interest in 2013 I will pay DIRT at the old rate? Nothing to stop me opening a new account in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

It depends on the type of account you have, generally most financial organisations pay interest annually. Its up to them when they pay it, so you might close the account in 2013, but you might not get the interest until 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interest is paid:
    (1) On maturity or
    (2) On a fixed frequency normally annually or
    (3) On account closure.

What is the deposit product name that you have your money in?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Fungus, RABO Direct Savings Account (on demand).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

ajmull wrote: »

I have done it myself just recently, you can close it with a letter to them, they follow up 'security call' and the money is in your account in 1/2 days. You will pay DIRT at 33% if done before the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

ajmull wrote: »

Don't waste your time closing it. There is no point for tax reasons.

You will be paid interest on 31 December 2013 at a 33% tax rate.

Advertisement