Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sell second hand saddle

Options
  • 29-10-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I bought a 16" medium Berney's g.p. saddle for my pony thinking it would have fitted him perfectly. Unfortunately it doesn't and I have been trying to sell it ever since. I thought it would sell quickly enough but it hasn't. Does anyone know of anywhere that would buy the saddle from me. Need it gone as I need to get a new one for him. I'm in Kildare area.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

alfredo1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I bought a 16" medium Berney's g.p. saddle for my pony thinking it would have fitted him perfectly. Unfortunately it doesn't and I have been trying to sell it ever since. I thought it would sell quickly enough but it hasn't. Does anyone know of anywhere that would buy the saddle from me. Need it gone as I need to get a new one for him. I'm in Kildare area.
    Thanks.

Go to berneys
    Get ur pony properly fitted buy one and they may take that as a trade in .

Done deal either or put up adds in tack shops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alfredo1

Thanks Monflat but have done all of that already, Berney's won't take it and the saddle fitters that I am going to don't take Berney saddles. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that does take in saddles. At this stage I'll be letting it go at a very reduced price just to get rid of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'm going to be looking for a new saddle in the new year but will you pm me the details of it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

alfredo1 wrote: »
    Thanks Monflat but have done all of that already, Berney's won't take it and the saddle fitters that I am going to don't take Berney saddles. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that does take in saddles. At this stage I'll be letting it go at a very reduced price just to get rid of it.

Oh right well done deal I suppose either for a quick sale.
    Could u hang on till end nov etc people may b looking out for xmas presents etc. .
    You never know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Why won't the fitters fit Berneys' saddles? Sounds a bit odd to me. I'm surprised that Berneys won't buy back the saddle - I've a 16" Berneys' saddle which I've had for years, and every time I bring it in for re-stuffing, they always tell me that they'd more than happily buy it back.

As mentioned above, I'd try sites like donedeal, etc. You could also try putting an ad in the Irish Field, the Farmers' Journal and Buy&Sell. I'm sure there are other places I've neglected to mention, but they are a good starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

It all sounds very odd to me too. Normally no problem selling a nice berney's saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alfredo1

I know, I thought I would sell it no problem either. I couldn't wait to own a leather Berney's saddle and am only selling it as it doesn't suit my pony. I'm not selling it for crazy money either. The reason the saddle fitter wont take it is because its not Berney's themselves it's another fitter from Dublin. I'll keep advertising it and hopefully it'll be sold soon. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

There is a very well known saddle fitter in the Dublin/Kildare area that doesnt take Berneys saddles as a trade in because they make their own leather saddles so they wont take them in - I've had that experience aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

So basically the fitter is trying to force people to buy their own saddles by refusing to fit other brands of saddle! Noyce! :rolleyes:

I'd recommend you go to another fitter - it would be worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

As well as donedeal, try the adverts section of stabletostable.com.

Do you know anyone in the Pony Club who could ask their club's members if anyone is looking for a saddle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

convert wrote: »
    So basically the fitter is trying to force people to buy their own saddles by refusing to fit other brands of saddle! Noyce! :rolleyes:

I'd recommend you go to another fitter - it would be worth your while.

Well in fairness to them, they do stock other brands of saddle like Wintec, Thorowgood, Kent & Masters etc & then they make their own brand aswell. So they wont take in Berneys cause its essentially buying in something that is very similar to what they make themselves.

Also... its the only fitter I know of in the Leinster area, I honestly dont think there is another one unless you travel to Cork or Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Just to note - they don't buy in Berney's but they do fit them - they fit mine anyway without any problems :)

For the OP - Donedeal, or an ad via PC or RC might be worth a try;

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

bob1984 wrote: »
    Just to note - they don't buy in Berney's but they do fit them - they fit mine anyway without any problems :)

They fit them if they can be fit and a Berneys are a VERY niche fit, despite the huge variation in animals wearing them!

elusiveguy wrote: »
    They fit them if they can be fit and a Berneys are a VERY niche fit, despite the huge variation in animals wearing them!

Probably very true - I think I just got lucky with mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

AFAIK there is a place up North if you're willing to travel that takes trade ins on saddles, and gives a much better trade in value than this side of the border.

Unfortunately I cant remember the name of the fitter, does anyone remember/know?

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    AFAIK there is a place up North if you're willing to travel that takes trade ins on saddles, and gives a much better trade in value than this side of the border.

Unfortunately I cant remember the name of the fitter, does anyone remember/know?

Could be Old Mill Saddlery?? I have hear great things about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EmaxKikyuu

Are you still trying to sell it? How much would you want for it?

Advertisement