Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest graphical 'whoooa' moment?

• 29-10-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that we're well into the period of diminishing returns for graphical excellence with leaps between each generation being, or seeming, less and less, the exception now being games with distinctive art styles/designs. It's less exciting now but there was a time, when the tech was young, that we'd be blown away by the advancements made, they seemed like quantum leaps. For me it was firing up my brother's PS for the first time and just tooling around in that demo disk that came with it. Tekken just looked unreal to me then. A similar feeling came getting my N64 a few months later and playing Mario 64. Was that generation the biggest leap - the jump from 2D to 3D?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Not so great now but that first time you left the sewers in Oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When I was a kid, I had no idea about the concept of hardware, video cards, and so on with regards my PC - I remember I got Quake II, and I was playing it on the settings that worked for my Pc - 320x240, low, or something to that effect, didn't really question it, just enjoyed the game. Got a new PC, went to play Quake II, and suddenly it was 1280x1024 or something similar - nearly fell out of my chair. Looked like a different game altogether. That was the point I started taking an interesting in computer hardware.

I think playing Crysis original on a very powerful machine at the time was probably a time when I was somewhat taken back, another one that grabbed me, not so much for having exceptionally advanced graphics, but absolutely stunning visual design, was Bioshock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played PC all the time, so I did not really Noticed huge leaps. Something Like Original Crysis was really WoW though.

For some reason Gears of war 1 looked impresive for me. It was my First game on xbox 360 when I bought it.

When I was still a little peasant I had Nes. then I sow Mortal Combat 3 on Sega Mega drive 2. Then I really knew - my nes was ****. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

crysis 3

The facial graphics were unreal

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

walking outside of the vault in fallout 3 was a big one for me as I had tended to ignore graphics in games up until that point

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Half-Life 2, both the facial technology and stepping foot outside the train station (after the requisite throwing cans around for several minutes). Even as my integrated graphics card screamed bloody murder, it was a sight to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

When I got a hd tv and connected up dead space via hdmi on the ps3. my wife thought I was mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playing Beyond Two Souls at the moment and everything in it looks amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Resolution and polycount have taken a huge back seat for me in recent years, and the market is too saturated with sandbox cities and military tropes for any of them to catch my interest. The most breathtaking visuals I've encountered recently have been the exquisitely-drawn artwork of Dust: An Elysian Tale.

I suppose the first serious "whoa" moment I remember from a shooter was the intro to Half Life 2. "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise and... shine." Chills down my spine tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

MegaDrive to PS1 for me.

Resident Evil 1 amazed 7 year old me, why i was playing it is a different matter completely:pac:

the portable jump from GBA to PSP was also amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The intro to Arcus Odyssey on the Megadrive

Seeing Mode 7 in the top down sections in Super Probotector

The FX chip powering polygons in Starfox

MGS2 - the amount of detail. Playing with the dynamic shadows!

Splinter Cell on the Xbox was a real watershed moment with the lighting effects

Uncharted, the lush undergrowth and draw distance was amazing to me at the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First time seeing Mode 7. Super Aleste blew my mind when in the second stage the level zooms in from the background:

3D becoming a big thing around 93/94 was very exciting. The playstation really impressed me with stuff like Ridge Racer and the dreadful Battle Arena Toshinden, we only played it for the graphics.

Daytona USA in an arcade in 1994 blew me away. That games hardware was so advanced. I've heard it was the first game to have filtered textures. It would be another 18 months before hardware acceleration on PC offered the same technology and it wasn't until 1996 that the N64 offered it. Daytona still looked far better. If it came out of Dreamcast it would (and it did) it would still be considered a looker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not so great now but that first time you left the sewers in Oblivion.

When I saw the thread title, that was the first thing to pop into my head. It blew me away when I saw it. Fallout 3 used the same trick when you leave the vault, but a nuclear wasteland didn't have the same visual appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Playing Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube. As a huge Resi fan I couldn't believe the upgrade from the PS1. A beautiful, lovingly-made remake.

Resident-Evil-DC-Remake-Compare-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My first "Woah!" moment was Donkey Kong Country on the snes. It was so much prettier than anything else at the time.

The FMV cutscenes in final fantasy 7 impressed me quite a lot too.

Oblivion's foliage.

Entering the alien ship in Crysis. Beautiful looking if you had the rig for it.

Far Cry 2's jungle and open savannah blew me away.

Gears of War or any game with the Unreal 3 engine back in the day. It's a testament to how good the engine is that we are still using it all these years later. Batman Arkham Origins uses it and that's brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The most recent wow for me that I just remembered was rayman origins on ps vita. It just looks so damn fantastic on that screen. The colours and visuals dropped my jaw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Uncharted 2: The train and helicopter sections. Actually, the game in general was simply glorious.

Oblivion: Escaping the sewers and seeing such a massive world ripe for exploration.

Tomb Raider: Seeing the garden and the T-rex was simply amazing.

Half-Life 2: The level of detail in the world and especially the characters is truly stunning.

Final Fantasy XIII: Some very nice detail in the (very linear) environments. Also has the shiniest cutscene I've ever seen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Metal Gear Solid,

When you come up the elevator and the cutscene starts using the Binoculars....but...it's not an FMV cutscene !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Planetside 2 for sheer scale

Crysis for vegetation and general scenery. Dynamic mountain landscapes and rolling hills while you blew chunks into the sides of tanks.

Shattered Horizon - full fledged introduction to the new dynamic lighting/effect features in DX10/11

Antichamber - if you don't know, its hard to explain.

But yes, for the most part I notice a lot of the biggest titles of the last few years mainly don't have jaw-dropping leaps in GPU performance. I think some of that is attributable to consoles, we've reached the limit of what you can develop for on those older GPUs and for a PC game you will add so much fidelity before you stop for compatibility and time reasons. Good for gaming though as it means we've seen a lot of titles which are really simple to just pick up and play if you're a PC gamer. Even Intel HD can whip up the Mass Effect series for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Uncharted 2: The train and helicopter sections. Actually, the game in general was simply glorious.

Was just thinking of this. The snow-storm scenes at the beginning and end were perfect, I liked the look and feel of the shoot-outs in the ruined villages too.

Will be playing that next weekend for sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

the first time I replaced my 1995 dial up connection pc last september to a new high end gaming one :) every game has wowed me so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

First time I ever saw a game on HDTV, ratchet and clank tools of destruction in virgin megastores. I was blown away :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

First time playing Motorstorm on a HD TV. Seeing the dirt and dust and bits of cars flying everywhere in Monument Valley was mind-blowing for my first time playing a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mortal Kombat and it's digitised characters. I remember seeing everyone surrounding this new cabinet in the arcades and the first thing I saw was Sub-Zero ripping Kane's head off with the spine connected. I saw Pit Fighter before but had never seeing a fighter like MK before, my jaw dropped at how cool the violence was..................took an age to finally play it because so many people flocked around the game all the time :pac:

Ditto on Daytona USA, savage looking when I first saw it. Was a massive upgrade from Virtua Racing.

Oblivion was definitely the biggest for me, I had never played any Elder Scrolls games before so once I left the sewers, saw the orange sky from the sun going down and realising I had an enormous world to play around was mind-blowing.............God, I loved that game, Skyrim was nowhere near as good as it was far too drab looking, Fallout 3 had the same effect on me with all the colours of grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Pixar making me feel stuff about lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This level in Crysis in particular (spoilers):

Absolutely took my breath away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I remember going back to a friends house when he got Grand Turismo on the PS1 and we where both gushing at the replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    First time seeing Mode 7. Super Aleste blew my mind when in the second stage the level zooms in from the background:

The racetracks in F-Zero and the rotating chandelier level in Super Castlevania IV were amazing looking in their day. Or the scaling effects in Mario World like when you find a secret key and the big keyhole effect swallowed Mario, that was class.

Of the last/current gen definitely Uncharted 2, it still looks incredible. God of War for scale, especially the battle against Kronos, the weight and size of the character were immense. Half Life 2 had amazing facial textures and lip syncing. I think the first Xbox 360 game I saw running in person was Kameo, that was really pretty too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

God of War 3 was incredible. As was Uncharted 2. I died so many times in those games because i was getting distracted by the fantastic graphics...

Advertisement