Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camping sleep mats?

Options
  • 29-10-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

next purchase on the list is a new camping sleep mat. I was using a cheepo inflatable up one but it burst as I didn't anticipate pine needles :o , (will be bringing a car windscreen reflector in future as a base)

I have no particular brand in mind but would like one that doesn't take up too much space but first question is, has anyone tried the smaller ones that are say 120cm , are they comfortable and are they good for saving space?

will most camping shops in Dublin have them for sale?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

The best thing ever invented!!! http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-Prolite-Plus.html

You can also get cheaper versions in Decathlon etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I have a Vango self inflating mat. Most comfortable mat I've used and it rolls up smaller than my sleeping bag. I don't get the price of the thermarest ones. My Vango cost €25 in Great Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

€25 is a great price Ill check it out later this week thanks! there was a Gerlert one I was looking at on a UK site but the postage nearly doubled the price

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Orion wrote: »
    I don't get the price of the thermarest ones.

it depends what you are doing, if it's all about going out on fine irish summer and autumn nights then the mango will see you in good stead.
    Where the Thermarest comes in is if you are out all year round, it has an insulation barrier that keeps the cold of the ground away from you during ht night, folks don't realize that a good sleeping bag is next to useless on a sleeping mat with no insulation.

I use mine 12 months of the year here and have been out on it up snowy mountains in Norway too. I wouldn't use anything else.

But like I say it's horses for courses, I have a vango one for herself when she comes out the few times a year and it does the job.

silverharp wrote: »
    €25 is a great price Ill check it out later this week thanks! there was a Gerlert one I was looking at on a UK site but the postage nearly doubled the price

use parcelmotel if buying from the uk to save a fortune on shipping.

• Advertisement

hick wrote: »
    it depends what you are doing, if it's all about going out on fine irish summer and autumn nights then the mango will see you in good stead.
    Where the Thermarest comes in is if you are out all year round, it has an insulation barrier that keeps the cold of the ground away from you during ht night, folks don't realize that a good sleeping bag is next to useless on a sleeping mat with no insulation.

I use mine 12 months of the year here and have been out on it up snowy mountains in Norway too. I wouldn't use anything else.

But like I say it's horses for courses, I have a vango one for herself when she comes out the few times a year and it does the job.
    I've used my one in below zero conditions and it's been great. Not nordic kind of conditions but -2\-3 degrees and it's kept the ground freeze from me. I do use a good 3 season bag too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not that I'm wanting to buy one as I'm not into camping, but I'm intrigued as to how the "self inflating" works.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

Alun wrote: »
    Not that I'm wanting to buy one as I'm not into camping, but I'm intrigued as to how the "self inflating" works.

It's kinda like memory foam that you can flatten. When you unroll the mat,

open a valve it regains its shape, and you can add a few puffs to make it

firmer,

Advertisement