Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young's Barley Wine

Options
  • 29-10-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

I picked up two of these kits in Tesco for about a fiver a while back. Has anyone done this kit? Any good?

I'm thinking of just dumping the two into a fermenter and making it up to the recommended volume for one. I presume this won't be a proper 10% barleywine.

anyone know of any other hacks I can do to it to make it better? How bitter is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I just spent 29 on two kits! I liked it when I did it before. I added 1kg spraymalt and the end of a bag of dextrose ~300g ended up about 7% . Was quite malty and not bitter which suits my taste.
    You could try using the two kits as one with no extra fermentable s, only makes 14l though. And I don't know at what percentage the yeast will give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

KAGY wrote: »
    I just spent 29 on two kits! I liked it when I did it before. I added 1kg spraymalt and the end of a bag of dextrose ~300g ended up about 7% . Was quite malty and not bitter which suits my taste.
    You could try using the two kits as one with no extra fermentable s, only makes 14l though. And I don't know at what percentage the yeast will give up.

Ok so I dumped the two kits into the fermenter, added half a kilo of brown cane sugar and made it up to about 12 litres and used some US-05 yeast that was recovered from trub. This may have to sit for a while before it becomes drinkable.

Might do something similar with the scottish heavy that's lying around.

Advertisement