Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc down?

Options
  • 29-10-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having broadband issues in Roselawn area? 90% packet loss here but support desk says no issue in the area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No broadband issues but my Horizon box keeps freezing... end up having to plug it out and back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

UPC BB fine in Ongar so maybe it's very localised?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

January wrote: »
    No broadband issues but my Horizon box keeps freezing... end up having to plug it out and back in again.

That's 'normal' for a Horizon box. That's why I kept the old modem and had it re-enabled. (I don't watch TV myself, just use broadband).

Anyway...it all suddenly started working about about 45 mins later. At least it forced me to actually start building my new PC. All the parts have been sitting there for days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did anyone else have UPC TV problems this morning...was panicking as 2pm approaches but back on in the past 15 mins. Had to re-setup the whole thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

my phone and b/band was gone for about half an hour this morning, at approx 1030am, auburn ave area, nothing on upc site to say any issues.

• Advertisement

hi ,just got upc b/band and phone in last week. The speed is good ,but apart from the phone and b/band going down yesterday, i find the wifi coming and going, and even sometimes my laptop says wifi not connected with an x on the icon for wifi,but the wifi is working. I have rebooted the modem without any results. sO WHEN IT WORKS ,ITS GREAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

horse7 wrote: »
    hi ,just got upc b/band and phone in last week. The speed is good ,but apart from the phone and b/band going down yesterday, i find the wifi coming and going, and even sometimes my laptop says wifi not connected with an x on the icon for wifi,but the wifi is working. I have rebooted the modem without any results. sO WHEN IT WORKS ,ITS GREAT.

If you ring their tech support, 1908 I think is the number (make a packed lunch) they can change the settings in the box. It usually solves this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Never ring tech support directly, ring sales (which will always answer you), express a vague interest in a new product, then start moaning about your actual issue and they will transfer you straight to an actual support person with no wait.

In the modem configuration, change to a different controller channel. Most likely you are using a channel that is used by 1 or more neighbours. I'm in work right now so don't have time to write detailed instructions. And it would depend on what modem you have anyway.

If you use your laptop to scan for wifi, it should show you nearby wifi spots, along with the controller channel they are on. Change yours to something not used by any of these.

I can see other WLANS ,but they are secured and i can not see what channels they use.

• Advertisement

You can download a small application to a laptop called 'WiFi Channel Scanner'.

Hope it's ok to link to it:
    http://download.cnet.com/WiFi-Channel-Scanner/3000-18508_4-75833748.html

Interference from other hotspots using the same channel is one of the biggest causes of performance issues and random disconnections.

You can test that it's not the broadband service itself by hooking the laptop to the modem via an Ethernet cable, then running the following from a command prompt:

ping -t www.upc.ie

Just leave it running, and press Ctrl+c when you want to stop it.

Sorry I can't help with modem configuration...without knowing the exact model of modem it's pretty hard to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

UPC is a nightmare - let's put it this way I've got used to squeezing in behind my TV to re-boot it, bb and phone. Pretty much every day. Had the box re-installed twice. But it's cheap.

Mind you my parents (coincidentally in Roselawn) have got the new eircom fibre trial and it's dead slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I find UPC to be the best BB ive ever used. and that was years of hassel with IBB or what ever they are called now...

You can download a small application to a laptop called 'WiFi Channel Scanner'.

Hope it's ok to link to it:
    http://download.cnet.com/WiFi-Channel-Scanner/3000-18508_4-75833748.html

Interference from other hotspots using the same channel is one of the biggest causes of performance issues and random disconnections.

You can test that it's not the broadband service itself by hooking the laptop to the modem via an Ethernet cable, then running the following from a command prompt:

Just leave it running, and press Ctrl+c when you want to stop it.

Sorry I can't help with modem configuration...without knowing the exact model of modem it's pretty hard to advise.
    Will do, ive downloaded the app, but it will not run till i install microsoft net framework 4 etc, will update u, also its a upc thomson modem.thanks

Ill have to try a different wifi scanner ,because im getting ---this request is not supported--

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

My internet has been off most evenings this week for hrs. Im in lucan

Will do, ive downloaded the app, but it will not run till i install microsoft net framework 4 etc, will update u, also its a upc thomson modem.thanks

If the app doesn't work, you can find another. Plenty of similar tools out there. Alternatively, just try changing to random channels and testing for a day or two.

To check the wireless settings on your Thomson modem, type 192.168.0.1 in the website address bar to open the modem log in page.
    You will then see the pop-up window below, leave the username blank, enter "admin" for the password, then press "OK". You are now logged into your modem

Go to the 'Wireless' tab at the top, and change the 'Control Channel' to one of the other values. Then click Apply. And that's it.

ok got to the control channel on the page, should i change each laptop to the same channel number,,or just ethernet from modem at desktop, and change channel?

ok got to the control channel on the page, should i change each laptop to the same channel number,,or just ethernet from modem at desktop, and change channel?

You don't need to do anything on the laptop end. The control channel is set on the modem config page only. Any devices connecting to it will use that channel automatically.
    Devices connected using Ethernet don't use/need a control channel.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Was down totally in Waterville last night and this morning, phoned them and they said they had engineers working on it but it would be at least 2pm today before it was fixed. No tv/phone/internet last night, felt like the dark ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

athtrasna wrote: »
    . No tv/phone/internet last night, felt like the dark ages!
    I was in bed by 9.45pm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

hear you...I read two books. I had an interview Thursday am, so no last minute studying for me....

...Make sure you mail for a day's refund. (I was at home 1pm Tues and it was working and it was back after 5ish Thurs)

Advertisement