Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature medicine students aged in their 50's uk

Options
  • 29-10-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I have recently started to think about a change in career and going into medicine at the grand old age of 50. I know I can study for the GAMSAT and apply into the graduate entry scheme lasting 4 years on the MBBS and then the 2 year foundation course which means I will be 56 by the time I finish. Is it crazy to think about doing this when I have a young family and no savings to speak of? Also, when is the earliest I will start earning even the most basic salary and how long of a career can I realistically expect to have as a GP?

Any one else out there who finished their medical studies in their late 40's mid- 50's and if so are you glad you did it? Would you do it again knowing what you know now?

Is it worth the financial hardship and the effect it inevitably places on the family?

I am just looking at the the pros and cons of doing something which I hope will mean more security for my young family and a career I have always wanted to go into.

Please be honest and tel me like it is!

Thank you

Comments

Advertisement