Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cahill printers Site East Wall Rd

Options
  • 29-10-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Interesting to see that LIDL have lodged a planning application for the Cahill Printers site.

The application consists of a 4 storey block consisting of a supermarket on the ground floor with GYM on the 1st floor and office space on the 2nd / 3rd floors. The second block will be 2 storey and will feature a drive through restaurant at ground level and seated area on 1st floor. There will be a surface car park for 118 vehicles with entrance / exit off church road.

This is yet another strong indicator off an upturn in the commercial property sector particularly in the north docklands area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

subpar wrote: »
    Interesting to see that LIDL have lodged a planning application for the Cahill Printers site.

The application consists of a 4 storey block consisting of a supermarket on the ground floor with GYM on the 1st floor and office space on the 2nd / 3rd floors. The second block will be 2 storey and will feature a drive through restaurant at ground level and seated area on 1st floor. There will be a surface car park for 118 vehicles with entrance / exit off church road.

This is yet another strong indicator off an upturn in the commercial property sector particularly in the north docklands area

Have to disagree

It's just a discount supermarket that's building on cheap land (1.5m) in a prime site.

Ben Dunne has agreed to take the gym space and KFC the drive through .

The offices overhead are to be lidls head office in Ireland.

They applied for this years ago with an additional 5 blocks of apts. They just removed this part.

The huge 3 office blocks beside there are still 90% unoccupied and unfinished 6 years after they were built.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Bandara wrote: »
    Have to disagree

It's just a discount supermarket that's building on cheap land (1.5m) in a prime site.

Ben Dunne has agreed to take the gym space and KFC the drive through .

The offices overhead are to be lidls head office in Ireland.

They applied for this years ago with an additional 5 blocks of apts. They just removed this part.

The huge 3 office blocks beside there are still 90% unoccupied and unfinished 6 years after they were built.

Hi Bandara,

I have to agree with you.
    The development of the site can only be seen as a step backwards and that they have a complete lack of confidence in the market. It definitely means things are continuing to get worse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

whatnext wrote: »
    Hi Bandara,

I have to agree with you.
    The development of the site can only be seen as a step backwards and that they have a complete lack of confidence in the market. It definitely means things are continuing to get worse. :rolleyes:

Its hard to contemplate what a step backwards from a derelict eyesore looks like

I think that its fantastic news that the site is being developed.
    There cant be many areas so close to the city centre with so many large derelict sites.
    Off the top of my head there's:
    One on the Ossery Rd between the rail tracks
    The Cemex site on East Wall road.
    a Large site on Ravensdale Road.
    The long site along East wall road either side of the works access to the port Tunnel.
    and the whole area between merchants road and East wall road (although some of it is in use)
    and thats without mentioning all the ones on Sheriff Street Upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

whatnext wrote: »
    I think that its fantastic news that the site is being developed.
    There cant be many areas so close to the city centre with so many large derelict sites.
    Off the top of my head there's:
    One on the Ossery Rd between the rail tracks
    The Cemex site on East Wall road.
    a Large site on Ravensdale Road.
    The long site along East wall road either side of the works access to the port Tunnel.
    and the whole area between merchants road and East wall road (although some of it is in use)
    and thats without mentioning all the ones on Sheriff Street Upper.

If this (http://goo.gl/maps/Kgg0C) is the site you mention, planning permission was refused here for an office and self-storage centre development a few years ago, as the site was earmarked for a Dart Underground control centre. Dart underground isn't going to happen, but the site is effectively sterilised while the prospect of Dart underground continues to exist.

• Advertisement

wowy wrote: »
    If this (http://goo.gl/maps/Kgg0C) is the site you mention, planning permission was refused here for an office and self-storage centre development a few years ago, as the site was earmarked for a Dart Underground control centre. Dart underground isn't going to happen, but the site is effectively sterilised while the prospect of Dart underground continues to exist.

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

Anyone who knows the latest on the Lidl plans? They still have the Sale Agreed sign up...but nothing seems to be happening. Can't wait to get rid of that eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Replicate wrote: »
    Anyone who knows the latest on the Lidl plans? They still have the Sale Agreed sign up...but nothing seems to be happening. Can't wait to get rid of that eye sore.

Planning decision not expected until mar-April at the earliest apparently

:( So this is just reviewing the additional docs right? I assumed that they had already been granted permission for the main part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

They've been refused the off-licence part anyway so I imagine they'll appeal that...

• Advertisement

Planning permission granted! I so hope this will get a move on quickly enough now.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 www.bored.ie

Does anyone know when the proposed development of supermarket (LIDL), gym etc are going to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There is a pretty big build going on there at the moment. Anybody knows what's going up?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Posts merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

Very strange to have a drive thru, does the area really need a KFC? Let alone a drive thru. I know it is slightly off topic but the obesity epidemic should surely be included in planners decisions nowadays.
    The new of a Lidl is great, but the drive thru isn't really needed at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not compulsory to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Its a good location to catch the port traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

What's this crap about surface car parking! That's such a terrible misuse of space.
    This sounds a development done on the cheap.

Does anyone have a link to plans or models of the development?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was all under the sea not so long ago. Perhaps an underground car park would be very expensive to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

spurious wrote: »
    It was all under the sea not so long ago. Perhaps an underground car park would be very expensive to build.

Underground car park across the road in Aldi seems to be keeping dry.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Danny87

Just wondering if anyone knows what is going above the Lidl ?? I hear its a gym but no confirmation and no signage as of yet ?

Advertisement