Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray foam insulation advice needed

Options
  • 29-10-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My mother is currently living in a 3 bedroom west dublin house. The house is about 50 years old.

She asked me to research spray foam insulation as shes thinking of having it done in the attic.

I see there are many different types of material that can be used for this including 1 that I seen on the TV a few days ago called icynene.

I also read a few threads on this forum about damp/condensation problems that can occur when having your attic insulated.

My questions are:

What is the best type of material that can be used for this job?
    What kind of money am I looking at for a 3 bed house in ballyfermot?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for compnaies who do this?

Would appreciate anymore advice people could give me like things to watch out for, things to ask the spray foam service provider etc.

Thanks in advance guys

Alan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. What is the best type of material that can be used for this job?
    2. What kind of money am I looking at for a 3 bed house in ballyfermot?
    3. Does anyone have any recommendations for compnaies who do this?
    4. Would appreciate anymore advice people could give me like things to watch out for, things to ask the spray foam service provider etc.
    1. mineral wool
    2. get 3 quotes
    3. please ask here i the format provided
    4. spray foam companies make big claims and its a newish product to the Irish market - make sure the company has the correct IAB certification, insurances and guarantees + SEAI grant requirements if required

• Registered Users Posts: 46 angelclar

I feel sprayfoam is the way to go your mother is right as it offer perfect air tightness as there no sealing together.
    We home is so warm and draft free now.
    I relation to your issue with dampness /condensation i used a company that used biofaom that had NSAI certification that recommended a vent tray system for breath-ability ,
    There related company injected beads into my cavity
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302
    As they say get as many quotes as you want but don't go for the cheapest as there reason why they so cheap!!
    Hope this is of help to you

second time in the last half hour you've posted your favorite links
    banned for a week
    please read the forum charter before you post again
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Hey guys

I got 6 quotes......3 of the companies says air cards are a must to prevent condensation problems in the future and 3 say they are not needed.

Prices ranged from 900-1500

5 of the companies are using CPI foam and 1 of them are using biofoam which they say is better than CPI foam??

I just dont know who to believe about the aircards

Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I just dont know who to believe about the aircards

Any thoughts?
    ask for the IAB certificate and read it

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭john_eire

Can spray foam be put in between the joist instead of rafters ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement