Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompetent Estate Agents

Options
  • 29-10-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

As I’ve said in another topic on here I am getting totally frustrated at ringing an estate agent’s office only to be told that Tom, Dick or Harriet will call me back only to be left waiting and waiting and waiting.

Any estate agents or their secretaries reading this then can you please get your act together. In less than 2 weeks I have rang regarding SIX houses where I was told that they would ring me back, also leaving voicemail on a mobile number only to be left waiting and waiting and waiting. I’d hate to think what the total number of un-returned calls has been over the past 6 months.

Anybody selling a house then it might be worth a phone call to that suit that you employed to sell your property to ask when the last phone call was showing an interest in your property because your house might have been the one I was interested in and we could have been done and dusted by now had it not been for some incompetent estate agent.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Drop a letter in the door of the house telling the owner that you have been trying to contact the auctioneer and he is not returning calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carsonstown123

Hi paddy it's not OliversEstate agency you are referring to by any chance? I'm having similar problems also....

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Hi paddy it's not OliversEstate agency you are referring to by any chance? I'm having similar problems also....

No actually it is more than one estate agent in 4 different counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

Anyone interested in a house in the Killybegs area, Co. Donegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As I’ve said in another topic on here I am getting totally frustrated at ringing an estate agent’s office only to be told that Tom, Dick or Harriet will call me back only to be left waiting and waiting and waiting.

Any estate agents or their secretaries reading this then can you please get your act together. In less than 2 weeks I have rang regarding SIX houses where I was told that they would ring me back, also leaving voicemail on a mobile number only to be left waiting and waiting and waiting. I’d hate to think what the total number of un-returned calls has been over the past 6 months.

Anybody selling a house then it might be worth a phone call to that suit that you employed to sell your property to ask when the last phone call was showing an interest in your property because your house might have been the one I was interested in and we could have been done and dusted by now had it not been for some incompetent estate agent.
    From my experience over the past 18 months, if you get a 10% response rate from EAs, you are doing well.

I am now dealing directlt with the vendor and things are speeding along - so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

As Santa Cruz said above I was going to start dropping letters in letterboxes hoping to deal with the vendor directly. A house I am interested in tumbled by €20,000 today; if the EA cannot get me in the door this weekend then I give up on them and I will try and contact the vendor myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Very good advice from Santa Cruz above. I wish we had thought of that when we were looking at houses. We couldn't fathom why EA weren't bothered to reply to our emails and voicemails. Absolutely infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The main problem with EAs is that they have a monopoly on the sale of any particular property.

Very rarely will you find the same property for sale with more than one agent. Thus the EA knows he will get his commission when the property is eventually sold. Thus, he will sell the property to someone who he thinks will buy it and by doing the least amount of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Incompetent Estate agents

Otherwise known as Estate Agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is a lesson to be learned when ever you go to sell a house.

The way commissions and estate agents charge mean they really aren't bothered about the price they sell as it doesn't make that much difference to them.

I think a certain company got in trouble for this in the US. The model is really a franchise and they are about quick sales not top revenue for the customer. Effectively they difference of €20k might only be worth €200 to the agent so they aren't going to kill themselves for it. It is just human nature would you spend an extra few weeks for €200?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement