Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenovo specs help

• 29-10-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I am thinking of buying this lenovo u430 touch on the website there is only a features list and full specs are missing.

According to many reviews on youtube and notebookcheck the laptop comes with an "aluminum type shell" and "back lit keyboard" i rang lenovo last week the girl said yes they come with the machine - she even rang me back to confirm other details so she seemed fairly trust worthy, as in she only gave an answer if she was sure.

I rang lenovo today and was assured it is only plastic and no back lighting on the keys - i asked him three times and he was 100%, saying that its "hit and miss" with the exact specs for the laptops in different regions.

Does anyone know how i go about getting the true specs? I honestly don't trust the sales people.
    I would be buying from lenovo ireland, yes i know i can buy and return, but just want to know the specs.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Real aluminum, real backlit keyboard.

True specs:

0xGKuFW.jpg

Seems to have some WiFi issues, not uncommon with metal body devices. Show off but don't go too far from the router. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Ty! where did you get the information about the keyboard and metal exterior from? I had also seen that youtube video, but he seems to have bought his outside ireland

jogdish wrote: »
    where did you get the information about the keyboard and metal exterior from?

Review from PC World (not the shop)
    Ostensibly designed for the consumer market, the U430 carries over many of the features that render Lenovo’s corporate laptops so appealing, including a rigid but elegant all-aluminum enclosure and an exceptionally good, island-style, backlit keyboard

cool thanks again, will have to ring them and ask, you would think its a simple question for the sale team to answer!

jogdish wrote: »
    cool thanks again, will have to ring them and ask, you would think its a simple question for the sale team to answer!

The "sales team" is most likely penned up in a nice call centre in Mumbai and wouldn't know the first thing. ;)

Seriously, you'd think they send out the aluminum "special edition" to reviewers and then sell you the plastic version? :confused:

• Advertisement

lol, well they all "seem" irish when you ring and chat, but who knows.

Nahh my only reason for thinking the specs were an issue, was the second sales man was super confident that the version of the U430 touch they had was plastic etc.. and he also stated that the specs are not uniform across the board, and if you download the manuals it does say " backlit keys on selected models.." and also the irish lenovo page has zero tech specs up at all.

It also says so on Lenovo's Irish product page:

6Izb9IS.jpg

zWfSqkG.jpg

O7UtQqa.jpg

Rest assured, you'll get a metal case and a backlit keyboard. (there isn't much to configure anyway, two versions being sold in Ireland, one with Bluetooth, the other one without)

Here's another review, from Notebookcheck.

Notebookcheck also mentions problems with the WiFi distance but they blame it on the cr@ppy adapter.

urm rang again today, quoted the above picture where the word metal shell is used, and then he agreed yes it does come in an metal shell. I asked again about the keyboard, he still says it has no back lighting - i pushed him about many reviews online and quotes on the website, his excuse

" these are pre configured models and they have different specs, and we may not have them back again after Christmas " even though its the same model number.

:( honestly a simple question, you would think a simple answer

If it doesn't have a backlit keyboard as advertised on their website, you're perfectly entitled to a refund. As simple as that.

I'd be more worried about the WLAN adapter. Unless you're confedent enough to take the laptop apart (without voiding the warranty) and replace that horrible adapter, I wouldn't buy it. Loosing a connection beyond 15m from the AP is just not on for a 1,000 Euro laptop.

• Advertisement

humm ya thanks Tor.

On the off chance do you know of any 14' 1600x900 laptops that look "attractive " ( i.e. not like a thinkpad ) and have similar to the lenovo+ good wifi?
    Big shopping list i know! ( btw previously returned a sony vaio fit 14 for terrible wifi problems )

What's wrong with the ThinkPad T? The looks of it inspire robustness and precise workmanship. Very attractive to me. :D

And no, I wouldn't know any alternative at the top of my head, so many new Haswell ultrabooks about to hit the market.

Advertisement