Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx how many meal bags of timber to fill a one ton bag?

• 29-10-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi there,

Hope this is the best forum.

Just wondering roughly how many meal bags (ie size of bags) of timber blocks would it take to fill a one ton bag?

Just looking for a rough figure.

Currently buying blocks in meal bags delivered to the storage shed at back of house.

Seller reckons better value in one ton bags as easier for him and less work for him.

(Down side for me - he drops it at front of house and I carry the blocks in around the back (pedestrian access only to back of house) and he collects the empty bag later)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

the bigger bulk you buy firewood in, the cheaper it always is.. unfortuantely i dont have a figure for you. but it will work out cheaper for you.
    a ton bag isnt that many sticks like... wheel barrow and your sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

One tonne meal bags as you call them can vary a lot in size I have never seen one that takes a tonne of meal it takes anything from 550-800 kgs of meal to fill them depending on there size , next time you get one delivered use a fertilizer bag or 25 kg meal bag to carry them around the house that will give you an idea what value you get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

i'd say about 15 but also depends on size of timber as there maybe alot of air space waste/taken up in the small bags

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Thanks guys.
    $killkenny, thanks, problem is not the wheel barrow rather that I am very tight for space so have no where to store one!

Tabby, thanks, - ya good plan to unload it with 25kg bags, if I change to the big bags prob wont be able to go back .

GY A1, THANKS. Around 15 bags - do we reckon in or around there would be roughly accurate??
    For the price he wants for the ton bag am currently getting 12 of the meal bags.

(I think these are the ton bags he uses http://sacks.ie/shop/bulk-bags/one-tonne-bags-single-trip-standard-duty-80x80x80cm/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

The 90x90 x90 bulk bag is about 11 coal/ meal bags maybe more depending on how well you can get them in , maybe get the barrow bags real neat to stack and 2 lads can double them up on top of each other to store them higher they re re useable too and you can use a hand trolley to move them down narrow paths etc. they re rectangular so you ll probably have a better load for your price than the smaller bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Cheap aluminium or plastic barrow then leave it outside against a wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

did ya try the big bag yet frank

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

GY A1 wrote: »
    did ya try the big bag yet frank

No, not yet.

Total change - went halves with the brother in law for large load of what he says is top quality turf. He had links to the seller and a way of transporting it so seemed a good price.
    Will see how it goes.

Advertisement